Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 AM   #121
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Finally shipped my Pile of Loot from BBTS to get my Designer Series Harley. I have the 2nd edition B&W version that I was going to repaint in color, but I don't have to do that know.

Here's a side by side with the original Batman B&W statue

And a comparison between the first and latest incarnation of HQ
Very nice! I have both the SS and Designer Harleys near each other in my display as well.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:37 AM   #122
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Looks like he's growing scales under his arms.
His muscles have muscles!
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:59 AM   #123
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
Yeah, it just reads like you came to this thread with a general anti-PVC bias, which may not be any worse than mine toward colorcast resin (although I'd never say "all statues made from this material feel cheap.") The comment about lack of paint gradiant is either false or the deals you're referring to getting on Koto pieces don't include the ArtFX pieces, whose gradation on the blue Hush Batman for example, was actually a bit overdone for my taste compared to the black variant. It's whatever though. Enjoy the statues you receive.
Go look at the new artfx green lantern. It has no shading or paint gradiant. Its all flat. So was the Flaah.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:09 AM   #124
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
Go look at the new artfx green lantern. It has no shading or paint gradiant. Its all flat. So was the Flaah.
OK, I'll level with you there because the last release I bought was Wonder Woman, which has flesh tones and highlights in her hair. I noticed on the most recent Bishoujo I received, Black Canary, the hair was solid yellow, which disappointed compared to others I own. Maybe they are beginning to cut corners to keep the MSRP down. The five ArtFXs I own (Joker, Catwoman and the Trinity) and all the ArtFX+ I can vouch for not having flat paint.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 AM   #125
Gothamite
Phoenix

You both need more Batgirl statues.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #126
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
OK, I'll level with you there because the last release I bought was Wonder Woman, which has flesh tones and highlights in her hair. I noticed on the most recent Bishoujo I received, Black Canary, the hair was solid yellow, which disappointed compared to others I own. Maybe they are beginning to cut corners to keep the MSRP down. The five ArtFXs I own (Joker, Catwoman and the Trinity) and all the ArtFX+ I can vouch for not having flat paint.
It's actually been happening for a while. I have the Black Batman ArtFX+ he has solid flat paints too. Personally when I look at Koto's I think their best stuff is the Fine Arts line. However, if you look at DCC's 1/6th offerings compared to their Fine Arts Line it's clear that value for what they give you lies with DCC.

Their Joker ArtFX+ Killing Joke was very nice, but at this point I'd rather give my Money to DCC to continue producing the designer series, rather than Koto for their ArtFX+
Old 02-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #127
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
You both need more Batgirl statues.

My Batgirl PF EX is pretty much all the Babs I need right now
Old 02-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #128
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
It's actually been happening for a while. I have the Black Batman ArtFX+ he has solid flat paints too. Personally when I look at Koto's I think their best stuff is the Fine Arts line. However, if you look at DCC's 1/6th offerings compared to their Fine Arts Line it's clear that value for what they give you lies with DCC.
While I'm no stickler for using "IMO", as it's generally understood almost all forum engagement is based on opinion, it would really help if you said you personally find the paint apps to be flat or that you see more value in DCC stuff because the first objectively false and the second is a perception which I do not share (not that I dislike either company. I'm willing to criticize both their paint apps or lack thereof), so, no, it's not clear. But, like I said, it's whatever. I'll continue to pick and choose pieces I like from both Koto and DCC, but I've consistently felt I'm taking more of a risk from prototype/solicitation to in-hand product buying from the latter. Regarding the flat apps "happening for a while", even the lowest quality video shows shading and gradation on the recent ArtFX+ Animated Batman, which certainly didn't need the extra paint effort but did a lot to make it pop. I wish my Designer Harley was as vibrant and clean, especially for the larger size, but I personally find her paint app flat.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #129
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
While I'm no stickler for using "IMO", as it's generally understood almost all forum engagement is based on opinion, it would really help if you said you personally find the paint apps to be flat or that you see more value in DCC stuff because the first objectively false and the second is a perception which I do not share (not that I dislike either company. I'm willing to criticize both their paint apps or lack thereof), so, no, it's not clear. But, like I said, it's whatever. I'll continue to pick and choose pieces I like from both Koto and DCC, but I've consistently felt I'm taking more of a risk from prototype/solicitation to in-hand product buying from the latter. Regarding the flat apps "happening for a while", even the lowest quality video shows shading and gradation on the recent ArtFX+ Animated Batman, which certainly didn't need the extra paint effort but did a lot to make it pop. I wish my Designer Harley was as vibrant and clean, especially for the larger size, but I personally find her paint app flat.
Are talking about this

There is no shading on this piece. There is light casting shadow but no color gradient and no shading. These are flat single colors.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #130
Gothamite
Phoenix

Both companies have the capacity to offer visually interesting paint schemes. Having said that, you're both talking about Batman: TAS statues, and by their very nature, the statues' paint apps are going to be "flat" anyway.