Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > William Paquet

Old 07-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Bronze process

I don't have pix of the entire process for casting bronze. It is very labor intensive requiring many steps to complete a piece, but here are a few images which offer a glimpse.

I said in another post, this is a brutal process and hell yeah it sure is. The first time I saw the birth of a bronze I could not believe that it was possible to use such force and be able to attain a work of art with finesse and fine finish.

Here we see the artisan using a pneumatic hammer to break apart the exterior shell mold. He also uses manual hammers and chisels.

Hard to see, but this is the piece as it starts to emerge. This is a customer's copy of the Jesus bust I created, barely visible amid the gates and pour spouts, as well as the mold.

He is now using the power hammer to remove the mold material from inside the hollow casting. You will notice a hole in the back of the head. This is necessary to the process and will be patched later.

William Paquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Here is the casting with most debris removed, ready for welding.

Patch roughly welded. From here the piece is cleaned up with chisels and files to remove the weld seams and retool the surface.

The patched bronze, ready for sand blasting and patina. Note the amazing spectrum of color from the intense heat of the welding machine.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

That's all I have at this time. At some point I will post a thread including other aspects of the process. Anyone actually seeing this work done would gain a tremendous respect for the art of bronze.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
GET
U talkin' to me?

Cool.thanks for the pics Will.
GET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

wow
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

that is a process in itself. I thought molding and casting were hard....
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
William Paquet
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
that is a process in itself. I thought molding and casting were hard....
All this starts with the same molding and casting done for resin, but instead of casting plastic you cast wax. Each bronze has it's own wax pattern made, onto which gates and vents are added, and then the ceramic shell is built up in multiple layers.

I knew a little about bronze casting, but until I saw it I didn't know how much work it is. Even at several thousand dollars retail, a statue like Bowen's bronze Hulk is grossly undervalued. The work is simply awe inspiring.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
omigeo
Alpha Flight

I know this is an old thread but Damn, I've missed a whole lot of amazing art work from this talented artist...e.g. Hell boy bust and Sin City Marv statue in faux Bronze (I could kick myself in the butt for not knowing about it, at the time) But I will not let the "Death Dealer Faux Bronze" get away from me...I saw this on the sideshow website and will preorder it. It looks stunning!
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote