Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
Augen
Metal Men

The Rings of Power (Spoiler Discussion)

I didn't see anything about the show on here so figured discuss it.

Most expensive show ever made and definitely see some money on display with effects and sets. Those clips of the first age were beautiful.

Two episodes in and my thoughts are these.

If you are a Tolkien fan and a purist I think you'll have a lot of issues with dialogue, lore, and characterization of those we know.

If you're a general fantasy fan I think you can enjoy it on its terms, even if it is a slow burn still in set up territory 2+ hours in.

I'm a sucker for this stuff so I'll keep watching, but I understand the criticisms.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I am all for girl power allright. Women really got treated unfairly and kept down by men by most of human history and there are still countries even today that ruled by sheeria or some other crap that opres people and treat women as less than human.

Though seeing Galadriel in fullplate armor with a two hand sword gives me cringe. I don't know the name of the Actress who plays Galadriel, but i can't look at her in fullplate armor with a two hand sword without a face palm.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #3
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I'm a sucker for this stuff so I'll keep watching
Same, I was impressed. The visuals are just gorgeous, and on an OLED with Dolby Vision, wow. The opening sequence was great, and I like where the story is going. The halls of Khazad-dum looked fantastic, and I love the relationship between Elrond and Prince Durin. Morfydd Clark seems like good casting for Galadriel, her eyes are mesmerizing.

I can't wait to see Celebrimbor get to work on those rings. Even though I haven't read the books, I'm a lore junky and love seeing references to things like Feanor's Hammer and the silmarils...always looking up wiki entries and maps of Middle-earth And thank god these are full-hour episodes, none of this 30 minute Disney+ silliness...I feel like I actually get a meal.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #4
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

I didnt realize this was out already, let alone 2 episodes

Ill check them out soon, but I fear the direction this show is taking when they asked Peter Jackson for his input then ghosted him afterwards, and when they fired the Tolkien lore expert because he said the show was crapping all over Tolkien...ill be cautiously optimistic
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #5
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I didnt realize this was out already, let alone 2 episodes
Yeah, I was surprised to see them last night, apparently they dropped at 9pm EST. Going forward, they will drop on Fridays at 12am EST (midnight Thursday).
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:40 PM   #6
Asgard
Deadman

I found the first two episodes a bit boring and I hope it gets even better.
The first two hours of "Lord of the Rings" offered more entertainment, excitement and goosebumps.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:10 PM   #7
AC_808
Hercules

The imagery is amazing! The CGI to create the settings is crazy good!

Watching the first 2 episodes, I find myself listening and watching intently so I pick up the references. They left many unanswered things right now ...and my brain is trying to fill them in. My brain is too fired up ...not bored. I might be in the minority, tho.

The show is entertaining so far. Or maybe I'm just excited that we have Lord of the Rings on the screen again.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I usually wait until all episodes are out for binge watching. I may have a hard time doing that for this show.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:41 PM   #9
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I found the first two episodes a bit boring and I hope it gets even better.
The first two hours of "Lord of the Rings" offered more entertainment, excitement and goosebumps.
I agree. This material has been fleshed out with fairly uninteresting details so far.

I don't agree with statements that claimed it was superior to 'House of the Dragon'. It's got more CG, and a larger scope, but that doesn't impress me yet. No 'awesome' visuals thus far, and no memorable music.

Also don't know what IGN saw from Episode 1 to 2. They unofficially rated them 7, then 9. Episode 2 was more of the same to me. Both '7's...
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:00 AM   #10
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Of course the critics love it and the audience does not. 84% vs 35% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm no Tolkien expert, so I thought it was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
I didn't see anything about the show on here so figured discuss it.

Most expensive show ever made and definitely see some money on display with effects and sets. Those clips of the first age were beautiful.

Two episodes in and my thoughts are these.

If you are a Tolkien fan and a purist I think you'll have a lot of issues with dialogue, lore, and characterization of those we know.

If you're a general fantasy fan I think you can enjoy it on its terms, even if it is a slow burn still in set up territory 2+ hours in.

I'm a sucker for this stuff so I'll keep watching, but I understand the criticisms.
That's a pretty big money gamble to take. I wonder if the thought process was "Let's do our own thing. We know better than Tolkien!"
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote