Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #591
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

You see it all the time.collectors hold onto these pieces that are massively overpriced in the aftermarket then when alternatives surface they flood forums with how the pieces they have are better.

I get it. It's happened to me before. I loved the Spidey comiquette but sold it when I learned about the new PF. With what I sold it for I can buy Spidey, goblin, and venom now. Some people choose to stick to their guns and keep what they've got which is fine.

It just bothers me when collectors jump on new pieces saying they're garbage compared to their over-valued originals. It's like, ya I get it...no need to post it here. My wolverine gets compared to the original and peeps are like "I prefer the yellow". The Sabretooth gets "I like my original mixed media". "I like my original Vader pose better". "This sucks compared to the original Doom". "Nothing touches the Spidey comiquette". Ya, we get it.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #592
Parallax
Nightwing

People are too hung up on the past and they don't want someone else to have a better statue than them.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #593
azurepred
Zot

some of you are forgetting Prime is doing Venom too. I'm going to wait and see which I like best b/w XM,SS and Prime. So far, too early to tell, the XM is obviously a lot more expensive.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #594
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax View Post
People are too hung up on the past and they don't want someone else to have a better statue than them.
And I get that. It sucks when you have a piece that may lose interest due to new alternatives. But man...keep the sour grapes out the new threads for the new arrivals.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #595
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
You see it all the time.collectors hold onto these pieces that are massively overpriced in the aftermarket then when alternatives surface they flood forums with how the pieces they have are better.

I get it. It's happened to me before. I loved the Spidey comiquette but sold it when I learned about the new PF. With what I sold it for I can buy Spidey, goblin, and venom now. Some people choose to stick to their guns and keep what they've got which is fine.

It just bothers me when collectors jump on new pieces saying they're garbage compared to their over-valued originals. It's like, ya I get it...no need to post it here. My wolverine gets compared to the original and peeps are like "I prefer the yellow". The Sabretooth gets "I like my original mixed media". "I like my original Vader pose better". "This sucks compared to the original Doom". "Nothing touches the Spidey comiquette". Ya, we get it.
I somewhat agree but there's also older pieces that look better than newer pieces. I think the Spidey comiquettes hold up better than the other old SS "grail" statues. I give them all 10/10 whereas Dr. Doom and OG Hulk don't really hold up for me whether it's the mixed media or style used. Then there's the subject of quality and low ES then compared to now etc.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #596
Cali604
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
Adamantium Plus Member

I'm not a huge fan of the original one based on smaller size. But I do think the original Venom and Carnage are better...but that's just my opinion. This is an easy option for people who want a Venom so congrats to those getting him he will pair nicely with Spidey.
Cali604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #597
Atimantium
Hydra

You guys all see venom...I see X-Men Beast. Perfect pose. Great body sculpt for Hank. Just gotta get a head sculpt.

It's also a very nice venom statue.
Atimantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #598
Parallax
Nightwing

If I like something I buy it, if I don't I don't buy it. Unless it was like $100 or less, I'd never buy the Venom comiquette because I don't like it. I wouldn't pay any more than $450 for the XM Daredevil because I don't really like it. That being said, I'm willing to pay more than retail for Sideshow's life size Daredevil bust. I'm willing to pay more than retail for a Daredevil Comiquette. I'm willing to pay more than retail for many statues that I do like.

To me, it's not about the Venom PF vs the Venom Comiquette. It's not one or the other. I'll have one Venom statue, someone else will have another Venom statue, and someone else will have both Venom statues. It's not a battle of the best. I'm not throwing out all of my Green Lantern comics because Geoff Johns' run is the best and that's the only one I can own. It's a silly and childish mindset. I've read through the thread for the life size Green Lantern bust where it was mocked and torn apart for how bad it looked. I bought one for $200 under retail price and now that I have it in person I can confidently say it's my favorite statue and I would have paid $200 over retail price for it. Most people won't buy it for what I paid, let alone more than what I paid. Collecting is all about personal preference.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #599
cuhan
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I like the pose, but not a fan of those ripples on his face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Instinct View Post
The only problem I see is the COH will have to have the symbiote detail or it won't match the rest of the piece. Can't wait to see it.

I love it
cuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #600
RadAsGhoul
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atimantium View Post
You guys all see venom...I see X-Men Beast. Perfect pose. Great body sculpt for Hank. Just gotta get a head sculpt.

It's also a very nice venom statue.
That's actually a great observation, that would make for a great pose for Hank
RadAsGhoul is offline   Reply With Quote