Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #41
Barbarian
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersfan57 View Post
I think I'm going to go for it. The sense of atmosphere and mystery is on another level with this piece. Not many pieces evoke such emotion.
My sentiments exactly, brother.
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #42
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:

There you go gentleman. That's how the piece is set up. It's a pretty unique looking piece.
It's beautiful and very unique. I'm not a fan of using a print for the backdrop. It would look much better if they had done the forest as a relief sculpture, IMO.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #43
Chargersfan57
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
My sentiments exactly, brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
It's beautiful and very unique. I'm not a fan of using a print for the backdrop. It would look much better if they had done the forest as a relief sculpture, IMO.
Yeah that would have been cool. But think about it this way, how many statues out there include a print built into the actual statue itself?

Most statues (like 99% of them) just include the statue and that's it. You don't see beyond the statue (the world around the statue). This statue could have just been the water, land, forest, those ancient ruins, and the dragons themselves. They found a way to add depth to the statue and built in an actual background print which I think is insanely cool to have done.

Some companies would have just included a print for you to display behind the statue, but this one is framed into the piece, which I think is cool as hell.

Not to knock your idea cause I think it's dope! But I like they added the print. Kind of makes me look at it as a 3D painting. Where the painting is literally spilling off of the canvas into the 3D realm.
Chargersfan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #44
dao2
Cyclops

including a print pretty much restricts the viewing angle to the front though which is why most statues don't do that
dao2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #45
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:

Yeah that would have been cool. But think about it this way, how many statues out there include a print built into the actual statue itself?

Most statues (like 99% of them) just include the statue and that's it. You don't see beyond the statue (the world around the statue). This statue could have just been the water, land, forest, those ancient ruins, and the dragons themselves. They found a way to add depth to the statue and built in an actual background print which I think is insanely cool to have done.

Some companies would have just included a print for you to display behind the statue, but this one is framed into the piece, which I think is cool as hell.

Not to knock your idea cause I think it's dope! But I like they added the print. Kind of makes me look at it as a 3D painting. Where the painting is literally spilling off of the canvas into the 3D realm.
I get what your saying and it could be the harsh lighting at the con but the print isn't giving me that effect. If it's really high quality then I can see it producing a 3D illusion.

I wonder if they'd be willing to drop the price a few hundred bucks if they sold it without the print.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #46
French Cancan
Deadman

French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:40 PM   #47
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
I get what your saying and it could be the harsh lighting at the con but the print isn't giving me that effect. If it's really high quality then I can see it producing a 3D illusion.

I wonder if they'd be willing to drop the price a few hundred bucks if they sold it without the print.
the background is part of the base I believe so probably no.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 PM   #48
Chargersfan57
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
including a print pretty much restricts the viewing angle to the front though which is why most statues don't do that
Totally get that and you're right. For this particular piece it looks as if they wanted to add to the world around the statue.

Making the print a permanent background to the piece adds to the sense that these people and these ancient temples are located deep within the forest. It gives me the sense that they are quite far away from civilization.

Plus I can't wait to look at this piece up close. To get a better sense of what might be going on.

"Do these people live in this ancient city?"

"Are they arriving there for the first time? And if so what are they there to do? Ritual perhaps?"

"Who are they? And where are they arriving from?"

"I sense the dragons aren't there to attack"

"Are they watching over the city?" Creatures of the forest to be sure."

"Those lights along the shore are interesting"

With that print it's almost as if I can hear the sounds of the forest. It appears calm, tranquil. Save for the breathing and movement of the dragons overhead.

I can see the light posts on at night, shinning mellow lighting on the shore, bouncing off the darkness of the surrounding forest. Mist slowly crawls in. Blanketing the surrounding air. Noises from deep within the forest come and fade. There is an aura of wonder. An aura of magic and mystery.

This is one of my favorite pics. I get that it was enhanced with haze and lighting effects, but this is a perfect example of the mystery of the piece. They are arriving by boat for unknown reasons in the dark of night. They are about to come ashore. Through the darkness and fog two dragons calmly watch their approach. Who are these cloaked individuals? What is their purpose?

Most statues don't fill my head with these types of questions. And that tells me this is a must for my own collection. Cause these are questions I'll always wonder about. Maybe I'll create a story within my own head, but I know this statue will stand the rest of time cause it'll always evoke curiosity, whereas other superhero statues, while cool, won't always achieve.
Chargersfan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:17 PM   #49
zadmax
A day without sunshine is like... night.

As I posted a few pages back, the original art this is based on is called "On the Way", and I get the feeling the people depicted in the diorama are in the process of leaving the place for some reason, and are saying goodbye to the forest protectors/dragons. Just my interpretation though, but the story behind it could be many things really.

Also, without the backdrop, there doesn't appear to be a fully sculpted dragon on the one side. It seems to stop half way or so as it merges with the print, so the viewing would still pretty much be limited to the front regardless, unless you wouldn't mind seeing a chopped off "flat" back half of the dragon.
If you look closely at this pic, I think you get the idea:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9e0c22d8-1280-43af-bd21-8e9226e4ad37.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	118346  
zadmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:22 PM   #50
dao2
Cyclops

I'd say from the name they are just visiting and are not from there or planning to stay (or even land from the looks of it).

As for the rpint I think it works ok in the piece, a curved one may have served a little better though. Still I think it works because it's rare and kind of one off and the fact that it's a landscape piece on top of a diorama piece. If it it was common it would become old and tired pretty quick :|