Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 AM   #21
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Yes!!!

Edit: and elaborate/complex base doesn’t mean that they need to be big, just looks at XM.
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #22
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Honestly, the question "are the bases too big" makes absolutely no sense.

Firstly, do we expect P1 to launch an investigation into the size of everyone's display space, take into account the many varied display pieces we may have, make a detail, data based, analysis of the probabilities regarding how many pieces a customer is likekly to own at any given time, and then produce bases based on an average cross sectional area of the space remaining?

And secondly, this is ART, it doesn't need to conform to some kooky ideals like standards, it's an expression. If it doesn't fit your ideals, then keep walking - don't buy. It should NEVER be the responsibility of the artist to compromise their expression to suit a market analysis, it's up to us, the customer to make compromises if we want to own the art.

Ultimately, these statues are luxury items, and they really don't need to conform (maybe to some material safety laws) to anything.

So, "Are the bases too big?" - No, your living space and display area is too small. Now, shall we discuss if that Hummer H1 you've got on order is too big, because it won't fit on your driveway?
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #23
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

P1 probably expects only a small portion of buyers to have more than a dozen of these statues at this scale. They probably see it as the responsibility of the buyers to plan out their displays and manage their space accordingly.

Their decisions seem to revolve around people with huge mansions and each piece in a case by case art direction as stand alone. Nobody here is forcing anyone to pokemon these and catch them all.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #24
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Most of the bases are what I would expect for a 1/3 piece, especially the Arkham pieces. They seem to have (mostly) been made as compact as they can be while still supporting the statue and showcasing the character in their design. I don't have her yet, but I've seen people say Catwoman's is too big for her design.

The new Artgerm pieces are also prime examples of how you can do a 1/3 extremely well without giving it a giant foot print, as those bases are even more compact than the Arkham line.

But, then you get to pieces like the new Harley and Deathstroke. Deathstroke's is nice looking but the addition of the enormous scythe is completely unnecessary. And Harley's base looks like they took every possible Harley-esque thing they could think of and dumped all of it on the base. I'm surprised they didn't try to add Bud and Lou. I find it a hot mess, and is the sole reason I didn't order her.

I find the Master Race and Poison Ivy to be the best two examples of a really big base that complement the statue perfectly.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #25
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

I think they could shave a couple inches off most of the bases. But they probably have their engineering reasons. And I'm not a fan of the big all grey bases like on TDKR and TDK3 Bats and Supes. Could use some more colors.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #26
Atheris
The Maxx

Nope, love them.

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #27
XIIIWARRIOR
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by The STATUARY View Post
No that's part of their style. They do big bases and basic poses.
Their style isn't meant to be friendly to a crowded collection
This! Besides, it would look funny having a large statue with a small base.
XIIIWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #28
dechirico7
The Flash

Waaaay too big.
I think most of them take away from the character.
Especially the new Harley. My eyes keep going to the stone Joker.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #29
Commander0Zero
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I think its something they should look into (streamlining the size of the base). You can have a good story telling base and have a reasonable footprint. The statue is already 1/3 so there should already be plenty of presence.
Commander0Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #30
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I just hope people don't start pressuring prime 1 into making smaller bases
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote