Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 04-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #151
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Who is this 'most of us'? All due respect but you talk in absolutes that aren't quantifiable. In this thread alone there are as many voice calling for silver as there are for white.
My conclusion is the result of years and years of cosplay research. Exhausting studies but someone had to do em. For those bold fans of Storm, Team White greatly overwhelms Team Silver.

Sorry to break it to comic purists but the general perception of 90s Storm is her costume is white. It's how I saw it in comics even before the animated series. And Demona's testimony about how widespread it is proves my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
But you're missing the bigger point that at least people who love the white suit have OPTIONS.

People who want the correct, comic Jim Lee colors have NO OPTIONS on the market. There is not one single statue, in any format or scale, that has the silver suit. None.

It's unfair, wrong, and for once I would like to see a company do it correctly. She is my end-all-be-all favorite comic book character ever. I have purchased many statues, original art, and comic commissions of her. For once, I would like the chance to own a true Jim Lee Silver Suit statue of her.

Imagine your favorite character always had their colors screwed up. And you have no options on the market. How would you feel?
Need to change "options" to singular, Dee. After googling I can say theres only ONE option and thats the Bowen. A variant modded together on top of an early design that doesn't measure up. So if you only have one crappy (IMO sorry) statue out there what the heck kind of "option" is that??

I can say silver comic purists always had the "option" to repaint it with as much fairness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerbone View Post
Agreed. No offense to anyone who does like that one, but it just doesn't work. Waiting for this Storm and an Iceman.

Beautiful collection man! Hopefully we get Iceman and Storm to round out the teams.

But since "options" is a hot topic I must say we have two good options for Iceman with bowen.
TheLastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #152
Jokerbone
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastMan View Post
But since "options" is a hot topic I must say we have two good options for Iceman with bowen.
Haha I had one of them. The clear X-Belt Iceman was dwarfed by every other statue, and just did not fit it. Even tried risers, but it wasn't cutting it.

I don't think the Ice Slide version fairs any better, but could never pull the trigger on any unbroken clear version just to prove it to myself.
Jokerbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #153
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Clear Action Iceman fits nicely. Don't knock em if ya don't got em. Storm is definitely due tho. Besides her great pearl white app, it is a outdated sculpt.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #154
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Clear Action Iceman fits nicely. Don't knock em if ya don't got em. Storm is definitely due tho. Besides her great pearl white app, it is a outdated sculpt.
Clear action Iceman is definitely a more natural fit with the Kotos. Still, would probably part with mine if Koto ever released their Bobby Drake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerbone View Post
Haha I had one of them. The clear X-Belt Iceman was dwarfed by every other statue, and just did not fit it. Even tried risers, but it wasn't cutting it.

I don't think the Ice Slide version fairs any better, but could never pull the trigger on any unbroken clear version just to prove it to myself.
Action Iceman does scale better. I know what you mean though - it's hard to find that piece online without any damage at a "reasonable" price. The regular version shows up more often, but it's hard to go back after seeing the wonders of clear resin for that character.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #155
Storm Lover
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Hey guys, this is a Storm thread.
Storm Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:06 AM   #156
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
My conclusion is the result of years and years of cosplay research. Exhausting studies but someone had to do em. For those bold fans of Storm, Team White greatly overwhelms Team Silver.

Sorry to break it to comic purists but the general perception of 90s Storm is her costume is white. It's how I saw it in comics even before the animated series. And Demona's testimony about how widespread it is proves my point.

Need to change "options" to singular, Dee. After googling I can say theres only ONE option and thats the Bowen. A variant modded together on top of an early design that doesn't measure up. So if you only have one crappy (IMO sorry) statue out there what the heck kind of "option" is that??

I can say silver comic purists always had the "option" to repaint it with as much fairness.
Cosplayers don't count. Most of them are just self absorbed attention seeking sluts (yes, I said it) that likely know little about comic books anyway. Cons love to have them for visual gratification. Cheap bait for virgins and nerds.

Now, I don't see your point. Your idea of a "General perception" is solely based on assumption and personal opinion. Don't forget that first and foremost, the vast majority of collectors are comic book readers. At least those with the financial means to support this hobby. Regardless of the perception of non-collectors and non comic book readers, are opinion counts the most. You need to get your "Purists" facts straight.

JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:20 AM   #157
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Who is this 'most of us'? All due respect but you talk in absolutes that aren't quantifiable. In this thread alone there are as many voice calling for silver as there are for white.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:17 AM   #158
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:

I could pretend to be mad, but to be honest I never get mad at a good debate and that dork emoji made me laugh.

Cosplayers aren't a great indicator of popularity. There's two reasons: Firstly, fabrics look different in real life than sculpted (why comic costumes look great in statue but not in the movies sometimes)
Secondly, cosplayers wear what is easier to reproduce, looks better in person and what is more easily recognisable to a wider audience. Perfect example of this is Harley Quinn - every cosplayer is now dressing as Suicide Squad Harley, though no one would ever call that the most popular with fans.

I'd agree on the general perception point to a dgree. I think that a lot of people would have thought that her costume was white, 'thanks' to the animated series, but a large part of that audience aren't statue buyers or comic readers...so that 'data' is a bit spurious.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:44 AM   #159
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
I could pretend to be mad, but to be honest I never get mad at a good debate and that dork emoji made me laugh.

Cosplayers aren't a great indicator of popularity. There's two reasons: Firstly, fabrics look different in real life than sculpted (why comic costumes look great in statue but not in the movies sometimes)
Secondly, cosplayers wear what is easier to reproduce, looks better in person and what is more easily recognisable to a wider audience. Perfect example of this is Harley Quinn - every cosplayer is now dressing as Suicide Squad Harley, though no one would ever call that the most popular with fans.

I'd agree on the general perception point to a dgree. I think that a lot of people would have thought that her costume was white, 'thanks' to the animated series, but a large part of that audience aren't statue buyers or comic readers...so that 'data' is a bit spurious.
All good man. I know "spurious" is putting it mildly.

In general I feel movies and TV reach a much much larger audience than the proverbial comic stands. Especially today. ANd in a good way they introduce new people to the comics. Thats why you see a rapid influx of Suicide Squad Harley costumes. And lets not forget that the Batman animated series played a huge role in the 90s promoting Harley Quinn who didn't debut in comics till later.

How many statues end up bought by comic purists versus animated/live media viewers is an interesting debate. And probly not mutually exclusive. So Storm may have started as a silver costume by Jim Lee but I believe the animated series has greater lasting effect to the general public.
TheLastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #160
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Lets take a moment to be thankful for the return of DRS. White or gray, i'll be happy.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote