Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #361
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
I respectfully disagree. There's nothing safe about the pieces I mentioned. Especially Ghost Rider and Hulkbuster. To have GR lifted off the ground and on a full 1/4 Hellcycle is something Sideshow probably won't ever attempt. The HULKbuster is an absolutely groundbreaking piece IMO. The full scope of what went in to making that statue blows my mind.

Look, I get compliments for XM pieces is taboo for some people here. I like both XM and sideshow. I'd say 90% of my 1/4 pieces are from sideshow. However, I can respect the work both companies put into their products. I think it's a shame that discussions compairing XM and sideshow pieces usually become toxic around here. I wish there was more companies that could release 1/4 Marvel and DC statues here in the States. Collectors would only benefit from that happening. My money simply goes to whatever statue I think looks best.

I agree with you on this Wolverine PF. It just didn't resonate with some collectors here. Hopefully, whoever ends up buying it will be happy with it. That's all that should matter to them.
Ghost rider sitting on a bike is hardly mind blowing. It’s well executed but hardly something unexpected.

Most companies will be fortunate to survive the current state of affairs. Diluting the licenses would make that worse, not better. There have never been so many options.
Tbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #362
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
no disrespect to anyone involved with this piece, just a passionate wolverine fan here. so many poses that could have been explored i just dont understand how this is the one that was landed on

The pose on the bottom right would've been epic for this piece. That's so Wolverine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post

hell, even this same pose as the bust but a full statue would have been all win

And most definitely YES! A full body sculpt of this bust would've been first day PO! ....In a brown suit Wolverine, tho.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #363
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
I agree with almost everything you say. Canale, Harbottle, and Bell in particular are basically the rock stars of Sideshow and they promote them as such (with good reason given their amazing work). However, I disagree with you saying XM plays it safe. The XM Ghost Rider, Transformation HULK, and HULKbuster are excellent examples of complex and detailed statues. They raise the bar in the industry as far as I'm concerned. Their sculptors may not be nearly as well known but those statues I mentioned are hardly playing it safe. I doubt Sideshow ever even attempts to release pieces that are that complex or difficult to make. I'm OK with that though because I'm usually very happy with what SSC puts out. Like EVERY company though, there will be hits and misses. This new Wolverine PF simply isn't resonating with the members here for various reasons (mainly the pose).

I'm sure we'll eventually get another brown Wolverine statue by either Sideshow or XM and I'm also sure that Sideshow and Martian Canale will go on to release many more awesome statues. As a matter of fact, I can't wait to see the next project Martin is working on. I can only hope its it's something along the lines of a classic Perez Deathstroke PF.
Maybe what I mean by safe is I guess from a artistic point of view , from an engineering standpoint I 100% completly agree ,even though I am not a big fan of complex bases overtaking the subject matter they are sculptural masterpieces in their own right. A classic example is Ryan Peterson's life size Hulk and Wolverine . Mocked to hell and back for being different, you won't see that sort of unihibited artistic expression from other companies. If I had the space I would def have them in my collection because they are interesting to look at not only because the capture the subject matter really well but also the style is fascinating. You will probably see a number of wolvie and hulk busts but I guarantee you won't see another like these two.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #364
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
Maybe what I mean by safe is I guess from a artistic point of view , from an engineering standpoint I 100% completly agree ,even though I am not a big fan of complex bases overtaking the subject matter they are sculptural masterpieces in their own right. A classic example is Ryan Peterson's life size Hulk and Wolverine . Mocked to hell and back for being different, you won't see that sort of unihibited artistic expression from other companies. If I had the space I would def have them in my collection because they are interesting to look at not only because the capture the subject matter really well but also the style is fascinating. You will probably see a number of wolvie and hulk busts but I guarantee you won't see another like these two.
Collectors have different tastes. I'd like to think I'm old enough now to just pass on pieces that don't speak to me without insulting any of the talent working on a statue. Regardless of how the haters feel, there are definitely Collectors that will pick this up and enjoy having it in their collection. This will probably sell out over time and we can be rest assured, this won't be the last 1/4 brown Wolverine we'll see.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #365
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Ghost rider sitting on a bike is hardly mind blowing. It’s well executed but hardly something unexpected.

Most companies will be fortunate to survive the current state of affairs. Diluting the licenses would make that worse, not better. There have never been so many options.
1/4 options are limited in North America unless you want to pay what amounts to an arm and a leg for overseas shipping nowadays. Sideshow has the 1/4 game on Lock down in NA. I'll only pay for overseas shipping if it's a piece I just HAVE to have for my collection. That's why I paid a ridiculous amount for XM's Transformation HULK. It's literally THE HULK statue I've been waiting about a decade for. However, I passed on XM's Colossus (even though I think it looks fantastic) because the Sideshow PF cost much less and I LOVE how it looks. I do however find it tedious waiting for Sideshow to release characters we are all waiting on. That's why I'd like more competition in the States. Whether or not competition is sustainable in these times...I leave that all up to the companies to decide. I'm simply here looking to purchase statues that I really like.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:39 AM   #366
pau123
Sailor Moon

Hahah... this one puts a smile to my face. Best stress reliever statue
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #367
Bad Protocol
Fantastic Four

Prefer the one I got

I was very surprised at this reveal and disappointed. I have the old PF with the Muramasa blade, I like that better.

I need a Storm or Nightcrawler...
Bad Protocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #368
Biggunz
Loki

Just cancel and redo it
That would be genius
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #369
BurningRage
Inhumans

Catwoman and Indiana Jones lsf is are the only pieces I remember them canceling in the last couple of years.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #370
Python
Omega Red

I almost feel bad for SS at this point, but I'm surprised they didn't see this coming. The sculpt is great just to be clear, but that pose is certainly different. A few posture tweaks could probably improve it immensely however and salvage a situation which seems to be lose, lose for all concerned atm.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote