Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Pop Culture Shock

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:13 AM   #521
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
well with Charlie being confirmed as well I suppose we can just throw the whole idea of canon out the window. Gen, Chuck and Gouken never died it seems so all bets are off
Oro is one of my favorites, so I'm ecstatic for the victory here - but if we get Gen, with an exclusive "Alpha" head (I know you're adamant about), AND we get both styles (Mantis and Crane) represented (one for the regular + exclusive, the other for the 2nd exclusive)...well, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I think my head may explode.

The "wise, old master" archetype is kind of my thing. Love it across all licenses.

Gouken, now Oro, hopefully Gen...
Old 02-03-2015, 02:23 AM   #522
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
The "wise, old master" archetype is kind of my thing. Love it across all licenses.
same, old guys who can kick your ass are usually pretty awesome. would've totally loved a Pai-Mei movie instead of the boring Kill Bill people
Old 02-03-2015, 02:35 AM   #523
BornFreeSF
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Don't forget Go Hibiki.

That old dude gouged Sagat's eye out.

He needs some limelight!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:40 AM   #524
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
same, old guys who can kick your ass are usually pretty awesome. would've totally loved a Pai-Mei movie instead of the boring Kill Bill people
Funny you bring up Pai Mei. You may be aware - Gen's SFIV look is supposedly influenced by him. I believe you thought the wrinkles were a bit much, but I still appreciate his "IV" look.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:40 AM   #525
BornFreeSF

First build of SFV has 16 characters.

I very much doubt Gen will be one, sorry. But by the third iteration there will be, I'm guessing, 40-50 characters. So maybe then. He's very unique in play style.

I wouldn't worry too much about canon.
The story has always been secondary for Capcom.

I'm more concerned the game is trying to implement Mahvel....urgh, I want to throw up.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:43 AM   #526
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Funny you bring up Pai Mei. You may be aware - Gen's SFIV look is supposedly influenced by him. I believe you thought the wrinkles were a bit much, but I still appreciate his "IV" look.
heh, nah I was against the bun more then the wrinkles
Old 02-03-2015, 02:47 AM   #527
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFreeSF View Post
Don't forget Go Hibiki.
If they ever make Go and Goutetsu playable, I'll be first in line for fandom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornFreeSF View Post
First build of SFV has 16 characters.

I very much doubt Gen will be one, sorry. But by the third iteration there will be, I'm guessing, 40-50 characters. So maybe then. He's very unique in play style.

I wouldn't worry too much about canon.
The story has always been secondary for Capcom.

I'm more concerned the game is trying to implement Mahvel....urgh, I want to throw up.
How are you so sure of the character total? That's fine by me, but I was hoping the eventual end product would have no more than mid-20s to low 30s playable. A lot is nice, but it becomes too diluted and chaotic to me.

Outside of Jerry's comments, I really didn't think Gen would be back. I love the character, but I'm not great with him, so it wouldn't be a big loss personally. Keeping the characters "current" is always welcome, of course.

As for the story being secondary, you're right, but I thought the word was that Capcom was poised to make major strides in that area, a la Mortal Kombat? I hope.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:49 AM   #528
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
heh, nah I was against the bun more then the wrinkles
Ah, ok. My bad. Someone else then.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:56 AM   #529
MrYac
Hercules

yeah I remember somebody hating the wrinkles
Old 02-03-2015, 03:37 AM   #530
BornFreeSF

Quote:
If they ever make Go and Goutetsu playable, I'll be first in line for fandom!

That's fair.
But I'd be in for sure. He made Sagat wear an eye patch!

How are you so sure of the character total? That's fine by me, but I was hoping the eventual end product would have no more than mid-20s to low 30s playable. A lot is nice, but it becomes too diluted and chaotic to me.

Outside of Jerry's comments, I really didn't think Gen would be back. I love the character, but I'm not great with him, so it wouldn't be a big loss personally. Keeping the characters "current" is always welcome, of course.

As for the story being secondary, you're right, but I thought the word was that Capcom was poised to make major strides in that area, a la Mortal Kombat? I hope.
Yes 16 is a rumor. My mistake.

But SF4 started with 16 in the arcades:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stree..._IV#Characters

And now the size of the roster is 44.

And yes Capcom absolutely needs to make huge strides with the story mode if they want to keep this franchise popular and accessible and bring in new players. I believe they have stated so.

But I do hate, specifically/only with fighting games, the idea of characters dying off.
Dying off in the story mode is fine. I just wish they would unlink the story / find a way to make dead characters accessible in the actual 1 v 1 fighting mode.

There are so many historical characters that I'd love to see play each other. Perhaps they can be secret/unlockable characters or something.
Closed Thread