Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 12-31-2020, 12:27 AM   #1
Mick89
Doh!

Temperature

Hi, everyone. In the middle of May 2021 i plan on moving to a bigger home. Recently i got alot of statues delivered and i dont have space to store them, so ive decided im going to put them in a climate controlled storage unit until i move to my bigger house. Do you guys think leaving the statues in a climate controlled storage unit will be fine? Or is it possible it can damage the statues?
Mick89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:56 AM   #2
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

If the storage unit is climate controlled why would you be concerned? It would basically be the same as your home. Unless it is a freezer or oven you should be fine. A non-controlled one could cause damage if they get too hot or very cold.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:04 AM   #3
Cmac
Mephisto

Climate controlled storage is fine so long as they don't let the temp change a lot. I had a unit once that was "climate controlled" but the temperature swing was pretty drastic.

Also, make sure you get insurance as you never know.
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
Drakul
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I had most of my statues in the garage for several months while I was moving into a new house and I live in Houston soooo ymmv :P
Drakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #5
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Should be fine. Put them on palates in case there's a flood. I'd be more concerned about someone breaking into the unit TBH.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
nameivom
The Herculoids

I had quite a few statues stored in a climate controlled unit for two years and recently moved out of that unit completely. No issues here. I would suggest getting a unit indoors and not outward facing if possible.

Edit: Reason for not going outward facing - The doors on storage units are flimsy and cheap. Even with the door outside elements can get in and if you are in a climate with a lot of rain you might have issues with water inside the unit at times. It might be easier to load/unload but with indoor units you are protected against weather. Also if you are storing a lot of statues, get insurance just to be safe.

Last edited by nameivom; 01-01-2021 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Outward facing issues
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:25 AM   #7
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
I had most of my statues in the garage for several months while I was moving into a new house and I live in Houston soooo ymmv :P
The foam is a good insulator so it does help protect the statue from short term extremes. Humidity is also a factor, I had a piece too close to an AC vent in my basement and it started getting moldy on the cloth inside from the humidity as it couldn't stay dry in the box once it got inside.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote