Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #81
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I've slowed down and focus more on 1/6 scale. A 1/4 scale really has to blow me away to buy.

I slowed right down, but went the other way. I'm focusing on the high end (and stupidly expensive) Prime 1/Coolprops Alien's and Predators. Things I never thought I'd cough up the kind of asking prices they command, but now seem to be not so crazy given what else is on offer in the hobby.

But the writing is on the wall, once I have the few I really want, I'll probably call it a day, or just pick the odd bit up every now and then that really grabs my attention. The crazy costs now are beginning to over take the fun of the hobby.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #82
xforce
Hydra

I have three kids, one going to college and two in high school, wife going to school for masters degree, a house and four cars (3 out of 4 paid off). So yes collecting budget is the last thing on the list. I try to put 50-100 a month away for collecting.

I dipped my toe into the 1/4 and got Sideshow wonder woman, Green lantern v2, Sinestro, Iron Studios Spiderman

Got a few 1/5th Ultron on throne and Thanos and Mistress Death

Realized this way to expensive, switched back to 1/6, Been buying tweeterhead Batman 66 and new superpowers line. Always looking to reasonable priced bowens and the new 1/6 XM looks promising.

Sold all my star wars collectibles to fund all my latest purchases.
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #83
spriggan
The Spirit

I have two kids that are in private schools plus my wife that is in school for her Master degree. I also have large three dogs so statue collecting is taking the back seat. I have trimmed my purchase to what I really like in 1/6 scale. With the crazy prices they are asking I may just focus on my other hobbies. Another thing I see is too many companies offering the same characters. I wonder how many high end statues are actually got sold.
spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #84
Mister H
Gen 13

I’m thinking about selling my Prime 1 Batman Beyond. Cool as all hell, but he’s a space eater.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #85
craigcliff1
Zot

Now I buy a piece once in a while, been slowly getting out from 2014, that was also when I started to sell my statues, and buy less. It was so easy to get into this hobby, in 2005 I noticed my first statue, use to collect figures and thought they were cool, but when I noticed statues I was like wow that's awesome. Bought MR Star Wars stuff at first AT, Falcon, snowspeeder, Blaster, Sabers and wanted more. Then GG SW statues and maquettes and then SW PF.

Was so much fun for many years, and now it's not much fun anymore. The new taxes just makes me want to get out more and I am getting just not yet, but within another year or two. Just imagine shipping had not gone up and 1/4 stayed in the two hundreds. This decade we went from $300.00 PF to $550.00.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #86
Superman_Rules
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkster702 View Post
If prices for 1/4 topped off at $349, this thread wouldn't be here. Prices rose too quickly....
Yep. I got priced out of 1/4 and have moved down to 1/6. But even then I've backed off. The waiting is also killing my interest. I feel like there is a LOT being announced lately, but it takes forever to actually go up for PO or it just never sees the light of day. I don't get excited about concept art or previews anymore.
Superman_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #87
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

It's a nice hobby. It was once a TON of fun. Then things got stupid. The best years for me were somewhere around the phase 2-phase 3 of the Bowen Years. This was after Sideshow released their first couple slews of outrageous pieces that started to nice money in the after market. those were the special years, I'd say that was the silver age into the Bronze Age of the statue collecting hobby. Great times, those times in this hobby for me are long gone.

Still love all my pieces. I was watching Barrett-Jackson auto auction, if I sold my pieces I could buy that BEAUTIFUL resto-mod 1967 Camaro. Camaro>Collection. These thing are a ton of money and the truth is these days we could probably be spending our money on MUCH better things than limited edition collectors items that don't hold their value and take up space in our homes.

Get out Mr. Jones. Pick up the one piece a year if it's killer and love vicariously through the knuckleheads on the forums posting their pictures.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:49 PM   #88
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I have been looking through my collection and have some that I am parting with (and will not be rebuying). I do have another statue that I would not mind parting with but it frequently appears on Ebay and the shipping would be rather pricey because the box is big. Might still try

I do know with the Tweeterhead Super Powers I am only getting the characters that I want and not looking for a complete line up of a group or groups like I did with Bowen.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #89
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
It's a nice hobby. It was once a TON of fun. Then things got stupid. The best years for me were somewhere around the phase 2-phase 3 of the Bowen Years. This was after Sideshow released their first couple slews of outrageous pieces that started to nice money in the after market. those were the special years, I'd say that was the silver age into the Bronze Age of the statue collecting hobby. Great times, those times in this hobby for me are long gone.

Still love all my pieces. I was watching Barrett-Jackson auto auction, if I sold my pieces I could buy that BEAUTIFUL resto-mod 1967 Camaro. Camaro>Collection. These thing are a ton of money and the truth is these days we could probably be spending our money on MUCH better things than limited edition collectors items that don't hold their value and take up space in our homes.

Get out Mr. Jones. Pick up the one piece a year if it's killer and love vicariously through the knuckleheads on the forums posting their pictures.
You nailed it buddy, that is really what it has come down to. I look(ed) at my collection just like... I could really get some things I need and want that would bring me more joy. And at that point you kind of just know your heart is not in it.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #90
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

just waiting for Bowen to come back to start buying statues again....
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote