Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Do they have rights to new characters also? I thought it was only an established list of characters, not whatever new one appears in the comic.
I'm not entirely sure how all these character rights issues work. Most are linked to a specific franchise, but some like Kingpin or Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch can be used by multiple studios. But the rumors claim that a lot of Perlmutter's current anger comes from the fact that characters created in the FF comics now are potentially usable by Fox. Canceling Fantastic Four and using the characters in other Avengers-branded books or whatever prevents Fox from having access to new characters.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Dark Logic
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Well I am just glad I have finished my Superior Spiderman trades, so can sit back and wait till another story worth me jumping into.
I just finished Superior Spiderman graphic novels all the way to Volume 6...I was never a Spiderman comic fan because I couldn't stand the way Parker did things. The writing so predictable, silly and cliché... I read a few reviews on the Superior Spiderman and found something different... knew I had to give it a read..ended up getting all the graphic novel volumes from Amazon... Was awesome. Otto was the Spiderman I aways wanted parker to be. My only concern is the ending and where it left off. If this is it for Otto in Parkers body, Im done. Was a hell of a run though.

If you liked that, another series to consider is the Fantastic Four & FF run in graphic novel format volumes by Jonathan Hickman..I was never really a Fantastic four guy until I read the review on his particular run and saw it posed something different to my taste. Another Awesome read. All volumes can be found on Amazon...I cant speak for any other run but Jonathan Hickmans.

Also Jonathan Hickman did a run on Ultimates Comics Ultimates graphic novel volume 1 and 2...Another awesome read that involves the Ultimate Universe Reed Richards.
Dark Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I'd try it the first trade off Parker's return, so far the first few issues have been good, we'll see if it is something that holds up. I'm the same as you about Peter's normal serious.

Also I would recommend getting the trades to the recent Scarlet Spider series, it was really good, and kinda similar vein to superior.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
Dark Logic

Quote:
I'd try it the first trade off Parker's return, so far the first few issues have been good, we'll see if it is something that holds up. I'm the same as you about Peter's normal serious.

Also I would recommend getting the trades to the recent Scarlet Spider series, it was really good, and kinda similar vein to superior.
thanks..ill check that out..I may wait til it goes to graphic novel..The thing about trades is If its good, I'll read it to fast... and cant stand waiting for the next issue to continue the story...Dude, sometimes Ill hit the can and read a good graphic novel in one sitting...lol
Old 09-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Logic View Post
thanks..ill check that out..I may wait til it goes to graphic novel..The thing about trades is If its good, I'll read it to fast... and cant stand waiting for the next issue to continue the story...Dude, sometimes Ill hit the can and read a good graphic novel in one sitting...lol
Haha, yea I know what you mean. And it should already be in trade, it finished a year or two ago. I got them all when comixology did a big sale on them earlier in the year. I am all for my local store, but comixology has done wonders for me getting some great books that I woulda never considered without their big sales.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #16
built2shred
Phoenix

In October 1993, Fox and Marvel entered into an agreement (the "1993 Agreement" or "Agreement") pursuant to which Marvel licensed to Fox the exclusive right to create, produce, distribute and market theatrical motion pictures based on the "X-Men Property" (or "Property"), which refers to the "X-Men comic book series." (1993 Agreement ¶ 6.) The scope of the grant of rights was broad, although the media within which they could be exploited (i.e. theatrical motion pictures) was narrow. Paragraph 6 of the Agreement, entitled "Granted Rights," states that Property to which Fox obtained rights included (i) certain characters specified in Exhibit A to the Agreement, (ii) the so-called "origin stories" of those characters appearing in the story or screenplay of the film, (iii) all individual storylines from individual comic books other than the origin stories, and, in a catch-all provision, (iv) "all other elements relating to the Property and the Characters." (Id.) (emphasis added). This paragraph also specifies that the rights "include the right to use the title (or subtitle or portion of the title) of the Property or any component of the Property as the title of any Picture or related exploitation." (Id.) In addition to the $1.6 million purchase price, (Declaration of Thomas Rothman dated June 26, 2001 ("Rothman Decl.") ¶ 10)2, and a percentage of gross proceeds, (1993 Agreement ¶¶ 4, 5), Marvel was able to reserve, in Paragraph 7 of the Agreement, certain rights for itself in connection with the films to be developed by Fox.3 Other ancillary rights, which define the scope of Fox's granted rights as applied to other media, are treated in Paragraph 8, the content of which is at the center of the parties' contractual dispute in this case. Paragraph 8, entitled "Other Rights," reads in pertinent part:

Marvel reserves all television rights [based on the Property] (other than television rights with respect to the Pictures produced hereunder). However, prior to the reversion (if any) of the Rights ... Marvel shall not, without Fox's prior written consent, which consent may be withheld in Fox's sole discretion, produce, distribute or exploit or authorize the production, distribution or exploitation of any live-action motion picture for free television exhibition, pay television exhibition, non-theatrical exhibition, or home video exhibition (on cassettes or discs) or any feature-length animated motion picture for non-theatrical exhibition or home video exhibition (on cassettes or discs).4

(1993 Agreement ¶ 8.) The possible reversion of rights to Marvel is addressed in Paragraph 9. In effect, this paragraph sets control dates by which Fox must create sequels by requiring reversion where "Subsequent Pictures" are not made within
[155 F.Supp.2d 8]

a certain time. (Id. ¶ 9.) The reversion dates set forth in this Paragraph were extended by an amendment to the Agreement signed by the parties on or about October 10, 2000.5 (See "X-Men II" Amendment/Extension ¶ 2(d).)

Paragraph 11 further defines the logistics of the production of Fox's films, by requiring that Marvel must approve: (i) the "fundamental elements" of the story, namely the basic storyline, character integrity, living habitat, and conformity with the so-called "X-Men Handbook" written by Marvel; (ii) the screenplay, to the extent it substantially alters a fundamental element; (iii) costumes; (iv) the photography of scenes, to the extent it substantially alters a fundamental element; and (v) the content of director's cuts, to the extent it substantially alters a fundamental element.

Particularly given the catch-all provision in Paragraph 6, the scope of the license to Fox is broad, encompassing any property contained in the "X-Men Universe" of comic books that Fox "may require" in order to create and produce its films, including the right to use Marvel's copyrights and trademarks in such property as Marvel would as owner of such rights. However, Exhibit A to the Agreement limits the characters which Fox may exploit to (i) certain "Initial Characters," comprising the principal and featured characters in the approved story, screenplay, or Marvel's publications, as well as 15 other "Core Characters" from the X-Men Universe of comics, and (ii) certain "Additional Characters," who are among the characters from a limited "X-Universe" of seven comic books, which Fox may add by written notice to Marvel.6 (Ex. A to 1993 Agreement ¶¶ 1, 3, 4.)

Finally, Paragraph 18 of the Agreement incorporates certain "Other Terms and Conditions" into the Agreement "[i]n accordance with Fox's standard Option/Purchase Agreement, but as such agreement would have been modified following good faith negotiation within Fox's usual parameters taking into account Marvel's and the Property's stature." (1993 Agreement ¶ 18.) While such provisions are generally designed to eliminate the future need for negotiation, this vague provision leaves additional terms and conditions largely open for negotiation based only on unspecified elements of custom.7
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #17
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
In October 1993, Fox and Marvel entered into an agreement (the "1993 Agreement" or "Agreement") pursuant to which Marvel licensed to Fox the exclusive right to create, produce, distribute and market theatrical motion pictures based on the "X-Men Property" (or "Property"), which refers to the "X-Men comic book series." (1993 Agreement ¶ 6.) The scope of the grant of rights was broad, although the media within which they could be exploited (i.e. theatrical motion pictures) was narrow. Paragraph 6 of the Agreement, entitled "Granted Rights," states that Property to which Fox obtained rights included (i) certain characters specified in Exhibit A to the Agreement, (ii) the so-called "origin stories" of those characters appearing in the story or screenplay of the film, (iii) all individual storylines from individual comic books other than the origin stories, and, in a catch-all provision, (iv) "all other elements relating to the Property and the Characters." (Id.) (emphasis added). This paragraph also specifies that the rights "include the right to use the title (or subtitle or portion of the title) of the Property or any component of the Property as the title of any Picture or related exploitation." (Id.) In addition to the $1.6 million purchase price, (Declaration of Thomas Rothman dated June 26, 2001 ("Rothman Decl.") ¶ 10)2, and a percentage of gross proceeds, (1993 Agreement ¶¶ 4, 5), Marvel was able to reserve, in Paragraph 7 of the Agreement, certain rights for itself in connection with the films to be developed by Fox.3 Other ancillary rights, which define the scope of Fox's granted rights as applied to other media, are treated in Paragraph 8, the content of which is at the center of the parties' contractual dispute in this case. Paragraph 8, entitled "Other Rights," reads in pertinent part:

Marvel reserves all television rights [based on the Property] (other than television rights with respect to the Pictures produced hereunder). However, prior to the reversion (if any) of the Rights ... Marvel shall not, without Fox's prior written consent, which consent may be withheld in Fox's sole discretion, produce, distribute or exploit or authorize the production, distribution or exploitation of any live-action motion picture for free television exhibition, pay television exhibition, non-theatrical exhibition, or home video exhibition (on cassettes or discs) or any feature-length animated motion picture for non-theatrical exhibition or home video exhibition (on cassettes or discs).4

(1993 Agreement ¶ 8.) The possible reversion of rights to Marvel is addressed in Paragraph 9. In effect, this paragraph sets control dates by which Fox must create sequels by requiring reversion where "Subsequent Pictures" are not made within
[155 F.Supp.2d 8]

a certain time. (Id. ¶ 9.) The reversion dates set forth in this Paragraph were extended by an amendment to the Agreement signed by the parties on or about October 10, 2000.5 (See "X-Men II" Amendment/Extension ¶ 2(d).)

Paragraph 11 further defines the logistics of the production of Fox's films, by requiring that Marvel must approve: (i) the "fundamental elements" of the story, namely the basic storyline, character integrity, living habitat, and conformity with the so-called "X-Men Handbook" written by Marvel; (ii) the screenplay, to the extent it substantially alters a fundamental element; (iii) costumes; (iv) the photography of scenes, to the extent it substantially alters a fundamental element; and (v) the content of director's cuts, to the extent it substantially alters a fundamental element.

Particularly given the catch-all provision in Paragraph 6, the scope of the license to Fox is broad, encompassing any property contained in the "X-Men Universe" of comic books that Fox "may require" in order to create and produce its films, including the right to use Marvel's copyrights and trademarks in such property as Marvel would as owner of such rights. However, Exhibit A to the Agreement limits the characters which Fox may exploit to (i) certain "Initial Characters," comprising the principal and featured characters in the approved story, screenplay, or Marvel's publications, as well as 15 other "Core Characters" from the X-Men Universe of comics, and (ii) certain "Additional Characters," who are among the characters from a limited "X-Universe" of seven comic books, which Fox may add by written notice to Marvel.6 (Ex. A to 1993 Agreement ¶¶ 1, 3, 4.)

Finally, Paragraph 18 of the Agreement incorporates certain "Other Terms and Conditions" into the Agreement "[i]n accordance with Fox's standard Option/Purchase Agreement, but as such agreement would have been modified following good faith negotiation within Fox's usual parameters taking into account Marvel's and the Property's stature." (1993 Agreement ¶ 18.) While such provisions are generally designed to eliminate the future need for negotiation, this vague provision leaves additional terms and conditions largely open for negotiation based only on unspecified elements of custom.7
Wow. This is insane. Makes me want to puke too... I like many of the X-Men's supporting cast and villains better than I ever did the X-Men themselves. I hope Fox get's sucked into a black hole or something and internally implodes if they try to keep Marvel from making any movies of certain supporting characters that were introduced in the pages of Uncanny X-Men back in 1977. I loved it then, but since reading that painfully obtuse article about Fox's "rights" to the X-Men universe, I wish they were introduced in the pages of the Avengers now....
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #18
Dark Logic

Quote:

Ill give it the first trade just to take a peek and see if Parkers back to his dum way of doing things...if they start back with the goofy stuff, im bailing. If its good, ill wait for the graphic novel to get the entire story...Im getting the Scarlet Spider Graphic to see what up..i hope you're right...thanks
Old 09-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #19
Sharkey

Yea I'm giving Amazing Spiderman 4 or 5 issues to prove itself before I drop it. Cool news is though, I heard word that they may make a continuing Superior Spiderman book that is in another universe where doc oc never stopped being the spider. Could be cool if it happens.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

FF? Pass.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote