Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #61
EnShinNoi
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Sounds like what Todd McFarlane was trying to do with Spawn. A known talent like Todd (in this case Sideshow) creates their own thing with Spawn (in this case COTD) and wants to market it heavily. The problem? there is a ceiling of mass appeal given the mature theological and horror themes.

The source material is what it is. They make for some good statues but let's not kid ourselves that the dark mythology of COTD is going to transcend the way Spiderman or X-men have. It's a niche property that allows Sideshow to be creative but that's it as far as I am concerned.
That's the harsh reality. The difference now to then is the internet and social media. Maybe that's enough to change things. Probably not though.
EnShinNoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #62
dechirico7
The Flash

I will still be surprised if this version is cheaper. Even if Alex hinted at it being that way. They will just up it and say it is due to production costs going up.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #63
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Its amazing how many here describe me and my interest exactly. I think the real killer is the ES on these. In 5 years will 3000 people still be gaga over their QOTD piece? Seems unlikely. Given how long it took the original reaper LSF to sell out at 300 pieces (and prices are converging faster than anyone would like) I find the ES on these pieces a real head scratcher. That said, I may pick up Xiall when she releases, feeling confident I can pick up the others I passed on for retail or less when the times comes. The Red Death is the new Undying Carcass, took me forever to sell my EX of that piece.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #64
hajiwahyu
Doh!

nice information
thanks all
hajiwahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:17 PM   #65
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstojano View Post
Its amazing how many here describe me and my interest exactly. I think the real killer is the ES on these. In 5 years will 3000 people still be gaga over their QOTD piece? Seems unlikely. Given how long it took the original reaper LSF to sell out at 300 pieces (and prices are converging faster than anyone would like) I find the ES on these pieces a real head scratcher. That said, I may pick up Xiall when she releases, feeling confident I can pick up the others I passed on for retail or less when the times comes. The Red Death is the new Undying Carcass, took me forever to sell my EX of that piece.
Yep the edition sizes are way too high on these, I still cant believe they increased the ES on Red death from 1000 to 1500, it's hard to believe the demand for that piece was so high that they had to increase production, the new Daredevil and Punisher PF's had lower edition sizes than Red Death.

At 2500 I can see Kier being in stock for a long time as well.
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #66
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
Sounds like what Todd McFarlane was trying to do with Spawn. A known talent like Todd (in this case Sideshow) creates their own thing with Spawn (in this case COTD) and wants to market it heavily. The problem? there is a ceiling of mass appeal given the mature theological and horror themes.

The source material is what it is. They make for some good statues but let's not kid ourselves that the dark mythology of COTD is going to transcend the way Spiderman or X-men have. It's a niche property that allows Sideshow to be creative but that's it as far as I am concerned.
Yeah, that's true. Case in point is Vampirella. Most people don't even realize that she's been around since 1969 because of how niche the book was. She has been around for decades and is still around now, but the combination of horror and sex don't make for giant mainstream success.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #67
cstojano

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Yeah, that's true. Case in point is Vampirella. Most people don't even realize that she's been around since 1969 because of how niche the book was. She has been around for decades and is still around now, but the combination of horror and sex don't make for giant mainstream success.
There were several people posting online that Red Death was too much for their wives/kids to handle/appreciate. I have a pretty open situation at home but Darth Talon earned an eye roll or two
Old 06-01-2015, 04:45 AM   #68
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

From the Ask thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAlex View Post

That is the upcoming Demithyle piece but it's not 100% completed in that photo. There are still some minor addition being added to him and a fully finished piece will be at SDCC this year. The only changes that occurred with this piece are some additional cut and sew elements added to his 'skirt', new base, slight color scheme update, possibility a few slight paint updates, and the new beads/bobble additions that have yet to be added on. This piece will not include the switch-out portrait with helmet or the switch-out hand holding the sword.
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #69
cstojano

Without the sword and helmet this is an easy pass for me.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #70
Fremen
Birds of Prey

Rage. Just rage.
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote