nice information
thanks all
hajiwahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
azurepred
Zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
Rent yourself a small climate controlled storage unit. Aside from that, start selling off the ones you don't want any longer. As others have said, it isn't advisable to store them in an area that is subjected to extreme temperature changes.
I did this myself. Yea, it's kinda pricey to do so, but it's the only realistic option I have that wont leave stuff damaged or insanely dusty.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #14
Rycher
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Anyway, yeah, the paint (if not the statue itself) will become irreversibly damaged by being exposed to 80+F temps. How noticeable depends on severity and duration.
Is 80 degrees really all it takes to affect the paint? That's worrisome.
Rycher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #15
XMAN
Ultron

Insulate your attic.....try to circulate the air in your home into your attic....get those degrees down. ....good luck .....
XMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #16
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rycher View Post
Is 80 degrees really all it takes to affect the paint? That's worrisome.
Yes, possibly at temperatures even lower than that.

Here's the thing: preservation of artwork has been thoroughly scientifically studied. The Smithsonian and other museums store things the way they do because of this. How much value you place on your collectibles, while they may be expensive to each of us, usually pales in comparison to the artifacts on display in those places.

Nevertheless, knowing the facts of microscopic degradation of paint molecules, even though you may not be able to "see" such damage for years (if ever... or at least in your lifetime), causes me to store them safely. Other viewpoints may differ, but the damage that occurs is fact.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #17
azurepred
Zot

I've had my collection displayed at 80 degrees or less consistently as long as I've collected. I've never noticed any kind of damage. Paint fade is defn a possibility, not to the point that it's been noticeable to me.
azurepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
Webb
Kindly Asked To Leave

I guess I will have to squeeze some in my public storage.
Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #19
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurepred View Post
I did this myself. Yea, it's kinda pricey to do so, but it's the only realistic option I have that wont leave stuff damaged or insanely dusty.
Ditto for the same reasons plus my storage options in my house are limited and I can't stand boxes in every nook and cranny of the house.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:27 PM   #20
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb View Post
So I asked this question to Sideshow a month ago,but nobody at CS cared to reply.

So I ran out of space and I need to store some statues in their foam/shipping box in my attic,the problem is in the summer the temperature goes above 100f or 38c and in the winter -15f or -26c.We all know SS uses the cheapest chinese paint.

I know it should not be a good idea,but I have no choice.

Thoughts...
You could always rent an indoor temperature controlled storage unit. Its not like you would need a large one and they are relatively inexpensive. I rented one when I was in the process of extending and redesigning my photo studio/darkroom/matting room. I had to store all of my negatives, matted and framed artwork, and a bunch of other light and temperature sensitive equipment and supplies. Beyond being a little dusty, it was actually really nice. Both the temperature and humidity were controlled and were well within exceptable levels. Beyond that the only thing I could really recommend is keeping your statue collection a little smaller so you can keep all of the statue you own in proper storage conditions.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote