Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #541
protector2814
Phoenix

Fantastic Four #5 -

WOW! Finally, a new issue of the FF that was just excellent & (Spoiler Alert) Ben & Alicia do, indeed get married. The book is framed by the actual marrage story called "4 Minute Warning By Dan Slott, who writes the whole book, & artist, Aaron Kuder. This story is full of some classic FF moments.

There's a romantic retelling of the FF's origin, which takes a different slant & is wonderful by Slott & artist, Michael Allred.

& finally, there's a hilarious bachelor-party story called Guys Night Out by Slott & artist Adam Hughes which includes a fat 18 pages of Hugh's art which is just pure eye-candy. This story was so funny, so much fun, with loads of hilarious & touching panels, that I found myself getting up from my kitchen table & sharing images with my wife, who kindly smiled & said "that's nice, hon"

I Loved this comic book.

(Of course, I bought the Conan, variant cover).

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #542
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
This story was so funny, so much fun, with loads of hilarious & touching panels, that I found myself getting up from my kitchen table & sharing images with my wife, who kindly smiled & said "that's nice, hon"
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:26 PM   #543
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I loved this FF book, too! I wonder why the artist for the Conan cover has Reed’s legs straddling Conan? Would have been less awkward for Reeds whole body to be snaking around him, more Kirby style.

As to Conan The Barbarian #1...holy smokes, what a great issue!!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #544
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I loved this FF book, too! I wonder why the artist for the Conan cover has Reed’s legs straddling Conan? Would have been less awkward for Reeds whole body to be snaking around him, more Kirby style.

As to Conan The Barbarian #1...holy smokes, what a great issue!!
Unbelievably good. Funny, how with the 1st issue, Marvel managed to lop the head off the past 3 years of Dark Horse' run. Hopefully, the momentum will hold.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #545
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Unbelievably good. Funny, how with the 1st issue, Marvel managed to lop the head off the past 3 years of Dark Horse' run. Hopefully, the momentum will hold.
All I know is, after this first issue, I’m all in!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 PM   #546
protector2814
Phoenix

Batman 63 - I'm not the biggest Tom King fan any more. When I 1st Chi'd in to him it was thru his, imo, ground-breaking' Vision mini at Marvel. Then I read his Mr. Miracle & was impressed, but not that much. Then, I started reading his Batman & semi-liked what he was/is doing. Today, I read his latest issue of Batman (no title that I can see, but it guest-stars John Constantine), & I am blown away. The whole issue, I'm thinking, is an almost dream, & Batman is completely trapped within an evil one, designed to destroy him (it helps if you read issue 62, but you don't have to.)..
I haven't read John Constantine written this well since Garth Ennis wrote him back in the glory days of Hellblazer. This is just an amazing issue of Batman but it does take time to absorb. Mikal Janin's art is perfect. Constantine is such an amazingly complex character, that when done wrong, I find him annoyingly misused. But, in this ish. He's beyond perfect. Perfectly subtle yet intrusive & classically obnoxious at the same time. I don't know, I was frustrated by the whole Batman/Catwoman' wedding arc, but in some weird way, Batman 63 "rights the ship" & I'm seeing aim & art to the misfire. I recommend this issue to all of you that read the Ennis' Hellblazer & are willing to give King's Batman another or your 1st shot. Amazing issue.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #547
protector2814
Phoenix

What a weird & oddly important week for comics. I went to my lcs today & spent more than I usually do on account that were some compelling issues on the rack. Marvel, rightly so, is celebrating their 80th anniversary w/ some throw-back stories & the 2 I read today were both really, really good. Books I haven't seen the likes of in years.

Crypt Of Shadows 1 - In the back essay, James Beard gives Marvel way too much credit for the 50's/60's Horror Comic trend, but he does provide some interesting, self-serving, Marvel History. That being said, the main comic story, broken up into an old-school anthology book, is classic! A real homage to 60's & 70's color horror comics & a joy to read. If you like old horror comics, which you all know, I inhale, pick it up!

War Is Hell 1 - Holy sh*%! Did a comic book actually cover the WWII death or Big Band Leader Glen Miller? Yup. Howard Chaykin's Nazi spin on Big Band Music & the War is amazing. I've heard all sorts of rumors on how Glenn Miller actually perished in the Big One, but Chaykin's story is as pertinent & entertaining as the true story that my dad once told me after a couple of scotches. The story takes loads of liberties & changes Glenn Millar's name to Brad Mitchell, but I'm pretty convinced that Millar's story was the one Chaykin told here. My lord, it's a WWII story w/ Howard Chaykin' art & story ... what more can you ask for?

Finally - Avengers 13 - This is a stand-alone issue where Jason Aaron & Erick Arciniega tell the tale of the very 1st Iron Fist. WTH? Why is this odd issue such a fun-freakin' throw back that so reminds my of Joe Kubert's Tor, or his Korack or even Kirby's Kamandi & original Devil Dinosaur! Loved this odd little book & when comic fans complain why don't the big 2 just create new characters of different ethnicities? Well, here's a great one & if continued, could be a really fun & important one. Buy it. If she hits, this issue will be a good one to have/sell.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #548
protector2814
Phoenix

After 15 years, I just re-read the 7 issues of Brad Meltzer's Identity Crisis. Wow, very enjoyable. I'd pretty much forgotten almost everything so it was quite fresh.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #549
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

I hate Identity Crisis...

Identity Crisis just sucked the life and joy out of me while i was reading it... i like dark but that's halloween dark... the fun stuff... but this comic book is just not that dark but a drag. Did they try to make a more realistic story ? may be this was the goal... ? as far as realistic goes, all the realist writers put great amount of humor in their books cause life has humor in it and they don't want you to feel terrible when you read their book... but this book had no humor... it was straight out joyless, humorless, lifeless.. a piece of crap which makes you feel terrible. This crap ruined my whole day when i read it. The end was so terrible... Superman hears what he wants to hear and Batman knows what he wants to know my ass... They should have punished the secret league in the league for all the crap. I felt so terrible reading this book... This book stabs you and then turns the blade to hurt more... And What was the point of it ? I don't see any point. There is something very evil about this book. I couldn't figure it out yet but nothing ever made me feel so terrible... Only this evil piece of crap story achived that.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #550
risingstar
Jedi Order

Spiderwoman by Bendis and Maleev. Just read issues 1-7. Excellent!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote