Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-12-2023, 02:43 PM   #1
GaryPool
Doh!

JND Statue Display Help

Hopefully this won't be in the wrong section, couldn't find a section for JND statues, nor a general play for help with shelves for JND.

I own two detolfs either side of my TV and to be honest, it's perfect for what I need, in terms of glass display and dimensions... apart from when it gets to the middle shelf. Ideally there would be a mid-shelf part that could hold 15kg and then I could display a JND bottom shelf and one on top, so 2 either side of the TV unit, however the max load for the glass shelf on a Detolf is far too low, and I don't really feel like risking supporting a glass shelf with something that won't 100% hole another statues weight.

I've been trying to find on Ikea if there's a similar dimension with at least even just a front facing glass door that will allow the full front of a JND statue (70cm), but can't seem to find anything.

The ideal is pretty much just a Detolf, but with a strong middle support for a 1 below 1 above type of situation. frustratingly that's exactly what I'm looking for.

I don't want to go overboard on display units as I'm incredibly lacking for space, and I'm not really in a place that's permanent so don't want to go all in with DIY projects that will be be possible to move elsewhere, and conversely not something that will break the bank in this case also.

The main goal is pretty much the Detolf in dimension and display look, but with that middle support.

Any suggestions or help?
GaryPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 03:09 PM   #2
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Actually, you could build your own cabinet. I know it sounds hard, but rather than glass, you can use 5mm thick acrylic and a simple wooden frame. It would be relatively cheap, but would serve your impermanent situation, and, the final quality is completely under your control.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #3
GaryPool
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Actually, you could build your own cabinet. I know it sounds hard, but rather than glass, you can use 5mm thick acrylic and a simple wooden frame. It would be relatively cheap, but would serve your impermanent situation, and, the final quality is completely under your control.
I don't really have the tools to build my own from scratch is the issue.

I've got 4 of the JND statues to put in displays and I've only really got over a 60 cm width space to put them in, so a floor and then above option is what's needed. Their depth is 30 cm also, with about 70cm in height.

I'm trying to look at Besta as the recommendations that I'm finding for statue displays but the measurements aren't quite there for what I need.

I could get two Detolfs, which would solve 2 statues on the bottom display, but because the glass shelves aren't strong enough to support a second shelf on top that is causing the issue.
GaryPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 04:08 PM   #4
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Not to press the point, but most "Home Depot" type stores will be willing to cut wooden posts to suit your dimensions. Then it's a case of buying a drill, and screws. The acrylic sheets can be screwed directly to the wooden posts. So, to summarize, the only tool you'd need is a drill....

Honestly, the time spent searching for an off the shelf solution could be better spent designing your own solution. And, it's probably going to be cheaper....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #5
Straken-SWE
Hydra

Maybe you can use Bror, and just get 5mm thick acrylic yourself and glass it in. Probably really simple to fasten the "glass" since all profiles are L shaped. 190x40x65 are one of the dimensions I think. I think they are great, use Bror myself but without glass, find that metal is a good material too for statue shelving since you can use a thin framework and still have plenty of margin with the weight
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 11:43 PM   #6
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Not to press the point, but most "Home Depot" type stores will be willing to cut wooden posts to suit your dimensions. Then it's a case of buying a drill, and screws. The acrylic sheets can be screwed directly to the wooden posts. So, to summarize, the only tool you'd need is a drill....

Honestly, the time spent searching for an off the shelf solution could be better spent designing your own solution. And, it's probably going to be cheaper....
I missed this the other day.

I assume The OP is in a rental, or finite term housing situation right now, and therefore doesn't want to load up on DIY tools and supplies just to fabricate what might be a one-off project.

I get it.

But the reality is, a cordless drill is one of the most basic, indispensable tools any household can have. Once you've owned one for a while, you realize it's as essential as an emergency flashlight/lantern, multi-head screwdriver, hammer, etc.
You may not use it every week, or even every month, but when you do need it you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Secondly, I'm now actively starting to work on the display case for my Alita bust. What I learn from this will inform how I approach the cases for the JND pieces I have on order.

Buying something off the shelf, or having it made to my specs, wasn't going to fly. Either too expensive, too heavy, not flexible enough- or a combo of all three.

I realized there were things I wanted from this case that I would have to design myself to get.

So to echo Silas' point- Sit down and figure out what it is you need .
- do you need the statue inside visible from all four sides, and top, or just from certain angles?
- can you make use of existing furniture you have (like the top of a table or cabinet) or is this a standalone, possibly with the intention of adding more figures/layers later?
- do you want something premium looking right now- or something that will be easy to disassemble and move in the near future?
...things like that.

The point is, if you just want a solution to keep dust off it, then put it on a table top and put a five sided plexi- acrylic case over it. Done.
There are places online to buy the acrylic sheets, cut to size, then you can weld(glue) them together yourself. Even Amazon sells standard sized sheets (usually 24" x 36") that you can score and cut yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-imr0Cy7NQY

I realize you're probably trying to make use of what you already have, and this is all going in a different direction. It's inevitable that you bump into restrictions (like weight loads) when you try to retrofit something you already have.
I'm trying to emphasize that if you are open to DIY, it's not going to take a lot of tools, or a massive workshop, to fabricate something that preforms the basic functions of keeping dust off it, and letting you view it.
How fancy, or polished, it looks beyond that is where the skill and money come in.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:40 AM   #7
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

You could also still use your detolf, and just put two glasses in the middle since you have spare glass shelves.

I used to have have my XM 1/4 Gambit on the upper part of the detolf, and my custom Rogue on the bottom.
The XM Gambit is actually quite heavy, but with the double glass shelves to hold it, I was personally comfortable about it being able to hold the weight.
From what I understand, JND pieces are not too heavy. From reviews I've seen, many stated on how light they are.

I believe each glass shelves on detolfs are stated to hold 30 lbs, some people saying it could hold more. Still, with 30 lbs each, that's 60 lbs it should be able to hold.
Before garage shelves got popular, many people were using detolfs for heavy premium formats, doing the same thing, doubling the glass shelves.

Now, of course, do it on your risk.
JND is a lot more expensive than an XM Gambit, but still, I wouldnt have risked it, if personally, I didnt feel confident about it, as I still would have cried if the glass shelves didnt hold.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:21 AM   #8
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemydaGambit View Post
You could also still use your detolf, and just put two glasses in the middle since you have spare glass shelves.

From what I understand, JND pieces are not too heavy. From reviews I've seen, many stated on how light they are.

I believe each glass shelves on detolfs are stated to hold 30 lbs, some people saying it could hold more. Still, with 30 lbs each, that's 60 lbs it should be able to hold.
Before garage shelves got popular, many people were using detolfs for heavy premium formats, doing the same thing, doubling the glass shelves.

Now, of course, do it on your risk.
JND is a lot more expensive than an XM Gambit, but still, I wouldnt have risked it, if personally, I didnt feel confident about it, as I still would have cried if the glass shelves didnt hold.
I always see unboxers remarking about how heavy the bases seem with the JNDs. The figures are what are lighter- though I don't know if that is just in relation to these bases, or compared to other 1/3 resin/polystone figures.

If those shelves are rated for 30 lbs. he might not even need to double up. It might be close, but I can't believe these all-in go over 30 lbs each, though something like the Cavill might.

I just read his second post, and now understand he's looking for a solution that houses multiple figures, in a vertical array.
I still agree with Silas, that DIY requires less infrastructure than you think, but I get the appeal of just buying something off the shelf, and trying to make it work.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:46 AM   #9
RemydaGambit
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
I always see unboxers remarking about how heavy the bases seem with the JNDs. The figures are what are lighter- though I don't know if that is just in relation to these bases, or compared to other 1/3 resin/polystone figures.

If those shelves are rated for 30 lbs. he might not even need to double up. It might be close, but I can't believe these all-in go over 30 lbs each, though something like the Cavill might.

I just read his second post, and now understand he's looking for a solution that houses multiple figures, in a vertical array.
I still agree with Silas, that DIY requires less infrastructure than you think, but I get the appeal of just buying something off the shelf, and trying to make it work.
Yeah, but I would still double glass the shelf to make it more secure. I wouldnt feel comfortable at just one glass shelf, but when I doubled it, the glass is much thicker and it made me feel more comfortable.
He also stated that detolfs would be the optimum solution to hold one on the top and one on the bottom.
RemydaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:56 AM   #10
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Just saw this thread or would have replied earlier. I have my JND Harley in a Detolf. I purchased a thicker acrylic shelf to replace the thin glass one they come stock with. Here is a link for the shelf on Etsy. It fit perfect. There my be others to buy from as well but this is the one I got.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1190025...le&bes=1&sts=1
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote