Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 04-16-2024, 04:28 PM   #391
VILE GUILE
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Knives are made out of metal. That's an accepted fact.

It's not generally accepted that blades on a polystone statue are made out of something other than polystone.
Yeah well who's to say it's not acceptable? Where do you draw the line? Besides, if the blades are made of polystone, chances are super high they will break, whether it's in the shipping process, or if Schnookums bumps into them... which is a bigger liability to Sideshow if they're breaking off in shipping. If they're made of plastic/PVC, they're at risk of warpage & bending. It's metal or bust for me. You must work for Sideshow & your running persuasive cover! Lol...
VILE GUILE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:40 PM   #392
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILE GUILE View Post
Yeah well who's to say it's not acceptable?
I didn't say it's not acceptable, I said it's not generally accepted. Statue collectors are probably aware that some weapons on statues are made of real metal, but I wouldn't expect folks outside of the hobby to jump to that conclusion.

Companies don't like to get sued, so I'm sure these things are considered when they're determining what materials to use in a statue. Several people in this thread posted that one of the Sideshow PFs drew blood, and those claws are much shorter than the ones used on this new piece.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:45 PM   #393
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
Real human bone claws or no deal.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:50 PM   #394
VILE GUILE
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
I didn't say it's not acceptable, I said it's not generally accepted. Statue collectors are probably aware that some weapons on statues are made of real metal, but I wouldn't expect folks outside of the hobby to jump to that conclusion.

Companies don't like to get sued, so I'm sure these things are considered when they're determining what materials to use in a statue. Several people in this thread posted that one of the Sideshow PFs drew blood, and those claws are much shorter than the ones used on this new piece.
I totally get it, but if you drop a 50 lb. statue on your toes, that will cause more bodily harm than a tiny scrape on a finger. That's what I mean when I say where do you draw the line. When you worry about hypothetical scenario's, more than producing a desirable atheistic on a statue....you lose my interest. It's a shame because it's a nice sculpt.
VILE GUILE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:03 PM   #395
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Schnookums gets a scrape
Quote:
if Schnookums bumps into them
I'm so happy to see Schnookums getting some run in this thread
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 05:14 PM   #396
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Knives are made out of metal. That's an accepted fact.

It's not generally accepted that blades on a polystone statue are made out of something other than polystone.
I reject your "Facts" Mr. Man!
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:16 PM   #397
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Yeah well who's to say it's not acceptable? Where do you draw the line? Besides, if the blades are made of polystone, chances are super high they will break, whether it's in the shipping process, or if Schnookums bumps into them... which is a bigger liability to Sideshow if they're breaking off in shipping. If they're made of plastic/PVC, they're at risk of warpage & bending. It's metal or bust for me. You must work for Sideshow & your running persuasive cover! Lol...
Heck I’ve seen metal blades also be bent during shipping. And to handle that, it’s the exact same fix for plastic/PVC ones. Heat, and then slowly bend back.

Metal is obviously preferable, under most circumstances. But not always.

Probably on the other extreme I just bought a $3-4K 1/3 scale statue, and that came with a PVC sword, but because of the silicone arms it was accepted by most that it was probably for the best.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:10 AM   #398
w00tw00t
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
It's make or break for me. If they're not metal, I'll be passing on it unfortunately. Wolverine's claws are that important.
if you look closely the tip of one of the blades on his left fist is slightly bent. Likely some sort of plastic they will be casting it out of.
w00tw00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:58 AM   #399
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
if you look closely the tip of one of the blades on his left fist is slightly bent. Likely some sort of plastic they will be casting it out of.
Even if the prototype claws are made out of plastic, it doesn’t necessarily mean the production piece’s claws will too. For all we know it’s always been in the plans for it be be made out of a type of metal or vice versa.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:09 AM   #400
FastballSpecial
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Nothing, he's a standalone piece, for me anyway...he'll have his own table or shelf to himself
That's how I feel about this piece. It's a relatively affordable and great looking homage to Wolvie. It will make an excellent centerpiece or standalone item.
FastballSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote