Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-18-2006, 06:55 AM   #1
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

NextWave is dead. Long live NextWave...

Marvel solicitations have NextWave 12 as the final issue. True enough, alas, it is. But we will see more boats exploding from Ellis, Immonen and the NextWave gang. Here's what Ellis has to say on scans_daily:

A lot of NEXTWAVE boosters here on s_d, so I thought I'd give you the news directly:

Okay. I just this second got the go-ahead from Nick Lowe to talk about this. So here we go:

Sales on the singles are okay, if not great. Sales on the first collection have apparently been terrific.

We were on such a roll with NEXTWAVE that I was actually into the idea of doing a second year, which is highly unusual for me and work-for-hire properties. So Marvel sat down and looked at the numbers, as they wanted to do a second year too.

What they found was that, at our current sales levels, they could afford for me to write it, but not for Stuart to draw it. Stuart, as a Marvel-exclusive artist, commands a fee commensurate with his astonishing talent. I'm WFH-exclusive too, but they just send me whisky and loose women and I'm fine. So, basically, I could continue to write NEXTWAVE, but we'd need to find another artist. This, to me, was just wrong. I mean, Stuart would obviously be given a far better job that had actual readers attached to it, but it still seemed a bit like the numbers were conspiring to fire him for doing his job too well. Everyone at Marvel pitched in to try and make it work, but the numbers were just against us.

So NEXTWAVE #12 will be the final issue of the ongoing series.

(To clear up a common misconception: NEXTWAVE was always pitched as an ongoing series. However, my original intent was to do 12 and then pass it on to someone else. This got garbled, somewhere down the chain of communication, and so the first issue or two got solicited as "part xxx of 12".)

However. The numbers game changes when you posit things in terms of limited series.

NEXTWAVE #12 will be the last issue of the ongoing series: but there will be more NEXTWAVE to come, presented as a sequence of limited series.

This was all worked out some months ago, so I had plenty of time to work the final NEXTWAVE sequence into a conclusion of sorts. #11 even features a twelve-page spread that you'll have to buy six copies of the comic to assemble into its full splendour. Everyone wishes I'd thought of that eight or nine months ago.

That was the news. Return to your duties.

-- W
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

I gotta admit, I ended up liking this series a lot more than I thought I would...just kind of quirky and unique!
That said, I'm almost sorry to hear that they will be continuing the team with a series of mini-series......I would have prefered to see this as a "jumping-on" to a more main-stream team for Monica! As hinted at in Black Panther, she's only really scratched the surface of her true potential and, unfortunately, due to the humor element of the book, I don't see that potential being met here.
I would love to see her either back in the Avengers, or part of a (rumoured) relaunched Defenders or Champions!
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
jrussalesi
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

What a shame. This book was a lot of fun to read. At least we'll get the minis.
jrussalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Primal
Batman

I read one issue and only cuz they took on Fin Fang Foom.

Ended up being more corny than funny imo.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

sad day in the comic shop. told the news to some of the readers. very disappointed faces all day long.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote