Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #23481
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Black Panther

Political Satire and social commentary have always been an intrinsical part of comics. A movie based on comic book characters should not be any different. Black Panther manages this with the outmost elegance. First and foremost, it is a celebration of Africa and its people. But also an introspective view of the world beyond continental and/or national borders. It is a film fixated in finding out solutions, rather than pointing fingers. In today's political and social climate, that is a welcome sight.

The best part of the film was its cast. Each character added a level of emotional gravitas. Killmonger is one of the best villains of the MCU period. A misguided but relatable figure. The music score was simply superb. Clearly, this film is one of the best directed films of the Marvel Studios franchise. A real contender with enough depth and weight to be considered award worthy.

Unfortunately, the movie was not without its flaws. For me, the most glaring was the fact that Don McGregor was briefly thanked while the late Billy Graham was not even mentioned in the end credits. The movie clearly took inspiration from their "Panther's Rage" arc. One of the most underrated but best crafted stories of the 70's. Considered by many the first serialized Marvel graphic novel, way before the term was even used.

In the end, Black Panther is a well crafted and well balanced film. It is not perfect by any means, but it is definitely a must watch for any Marvel or any comic book fan. It is one of those movies that will resonate with the audience even after the credits roll. For me, that's enough reason to tip my hat off.

Final Score: 8/10

JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #23482
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Visages villages / Faces Places (2017) - Director Agnes Varda and photographer/muralist J.R. journey through rural France and form an unlikely friendship.

Documentaries nominated for Academy Awards tend to be about very serious topics so it was very refreshing to watch one that was much more lighthearted. Director Agnes Varda must be one of the most adorable octogenarians I've ever seen. What an unexpected pleasure. 10/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #23483
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
DREDD - 10/10

There are few movies I’d say I wouldn’t change a thing. This is one of them. Perfectly executed. I never tire of watching this.

The more comic book movies I see, the more this one keeps moving up the list.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #23484
Python
Omega Red

Alien covenant. 5/10

I finally got around to seeing this having bought the blu ray yesterday. There's a lot I'd like to say but can't due to the spoiler rule of the thread. So I'll just say that I found it underwhelming. And disappointing that they didn't have the balls to make a proper Prometheus sequel due to the vocal critics who just couldn't accept something different. If this movie should achieve one thing, it should be to make people appreciate Prometheus more. I liked it already, I was excited to see what Shaw and David got up to, and to find out more about the Engineers rich history and culture. None of that really happened in any satisfying manner. Instead we got another passable Alien film with disposable CGI xenos thrown in... It had a few redeeming features at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
DREDD - 10/10

There are few movies I’d say I wouldn’t change a thing. This is one of them. Perfectly executed. I never tire of watching this.

Agree fully! I know there's a tv show in the works, but I still hope that this gets the sequel it deserves... Without the 3D nonsense which may have actually aided it's initial poor cinema reception.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #23485
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I thought Dredd was one of the films that actually benefited from 3D
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #23486
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Black Panther 6-7/10

Seemed at almost every corner was a political/social statement. I can handle that more than endless comedy and slapstick.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #23487
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Black Panther 6-7/10

Seemed at almost every corner was a political/social statement. I can handle that more than endless comedy and slapstick.
I agree and I agree, However, it's 2018. Political commentary in film is a sign of the times. Also, films today seem made more for Millennials than for the 50+ crowd so the corny jokes are in (for now, anyway). Still, even with all that, I gave this film an 8/10. I was happy with it overall.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #23488
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Black Panther 8/10 Well done story and thought the villain was well developed for the movie.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #23489
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Black Panther - 8/10

Black Panther himself felt more like part of an entourage than a stand alone figure. I'm not sure I would have liked this film as much if not for Dora Milaje and Nakia. They were scene stealers IMO. Great villain that was fleshed out well.

Oh and as a side note, I felt that Disney/Marvel were trolling me by giving Angela Bassett with white hair. Alllll I could think was, "Damn, I knew she was the Storm I always wanted..."
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #23490
statman
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Black Panther - 8/10

Black Panther himself felt more like part of an entourage than a stand alone figure. I'm not sure I would have liked this film as much if not for Dora Milaje and Nakia. They were scene stealers IMO. Great villain that was fleshed out well.

Oh and as a side note, I felt that Disney/Marvel were trolling me by giving Angela Bassett with white hair. Alllll I could think was, "Damn, I knew she was the Storm I always wanted..."
Yes! I always thought she would have made the perfect Storm.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote