Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-04-2017, 10:04 AM   #251
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I gotta disgree on this one. On the covers where Turner is actually going for the windswept look, the hair is usually much more dynamic and much more curved. He usually has smaller strands that have really dramatic curves. Like the front on portrait, the hair to me just feels like a generic wind swept look that could fit with just about any character as opposed to one that was really going for Turner's style. It still looks great, its just not Turner hair IMO.
I'm talking about the fine line definition, distinct layering, and lift to the hair. Not the wild, I'm a super model in front of a fan styling. I actually was not a fan that Turner did wispy, thin hair ends so much in his Fathom art.

I like his more restrained movement such as Witchblade and Supergirl. So yes, this statue does have Turner style hair, just not the style hair you prefer as this more restrained style was used sparingly on Fathom covers and prints.

To me, Turner's style lay within the long, lean body types. And portraits with full lips and big eyes with eyelashes galore. Hair is more matter of preference as multiple styles work.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #252
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I'm talking about the fine line definition, distinct layering, and lift to the hair. Not the wild, I'm a super model in front of a fan styling. I actually was not a fan that Turner did wispy, thin hair ends so much in his Fathom art.

I like his more restrained movement such as Witchblade and Supergirl. So yes, this statue does have Turner style hair, just not the style hair you prefer as this more restrained style was used sparingly on Fathom covers and prints.

To me, Turner's style lay within the long, lean body types. And portraits with full lips and big eyes with eyelashes galore. Hair is more matter of preference as multiple styles work.
HAIR MET ALL TURNER's CRITERIA
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #253
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Aspen should start producing Turner based statues. IMO, they would sell like hot cakes.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #254
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Aspen should start producing Turner based statues. IMO, they would sell like hot cakes.
I used to have a few and kinda regret getting rid of them. I love Turner, but I needed space and I didn't feel I was a big enough fan of the characters. That was my justification anyway. They were really well done (I had Grace/Aspen/Kiani).

Right now, Turner is represented in my collection by the DCD Supergirl, Flash vs Grodd, and Batman B&W statues.

I probably would've been on board for this PF if it more resembled Turner's art.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #255
adee
Green Arrow

Maybe I'm buggin but to me this statue looks a lot like Dene Mason's Aspen albeit in a more realistic way.

They totally captured the essence and I'm sure that wasn't easy.

A straight 3D Turner interpretation and style at this scale wouldn't be as striking imo

For example I'm not so sure the DC Direct Supergirl would look good in quarter scale. I love that one and I think it captures the style to a tee but it's simplistic nature just wouldn't lend itself as well to a lager scale.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #256
Shaughn54
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Seeing as how sideshow made an almost exact replica of JSC's little mermaid (facial structure/anatomy) I dont see why they couldn't have a made a Turner head for this statue and just made it the exclusive switch out. The Kiani turner statue shows that his portraits can translate well to statues. (just seen pictures, so judging from that)
Shaughn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #257
Shanesg
Green Lantern Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Turner's my favourite artist of all time so I'd be on board with that. They need to find the right sculptor though. Very hard to translate his style to 3d. There have been quite a few failed attempts.
Shanesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #258
adee
Green Arrow

There are lots of great Turner statues. I love all of Dene Mason's and many of Moore's. The DC direct Supergirl is also great. I'm just not sure if I would like them as much in such a large scale. I guess a good statue is a good statue. Maybe I'd feel differently if I didn't enjoy this portrait as much as I do.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #259
House
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

So i remember seeing these comics back in the day. Never picked them up til years later. I am glad they are doing Fathom characters. I really like the water effect on this, honestly the overall piece looks fantastic. Trying to restrict what i order but dang.. i keep going back looking at this.. Looks like a pre-order for me..
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #260
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughn54 View Post
Seeing as how sideshow made an almost exact replica of JSC's little mermaid (facial structure/anatomy) I dont see why they couldn't have a made a Turner head for this statue and just made it the exclusive switch out. The Kiani turner statue shows that his portraits can translate well to statues. (just seen pictures, so judging from that)
Yes, Sideshow has enough very good sculptors to produce a statue "certified true copy" of a drawing of Turner. But I think that the answer is simple: SS did not want, and prefered a realistic interpretation.
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote