Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #61
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
As posted above guys . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
I have been comparing the Sideshow prices to what I would pay via PayPal & VISA.

Sideshow conversion prices are marginally better.

Example from earlier in the week - the upcoming Predator 1:4 maquette, $1249.99 USD
Via Sideshow = $1,589.49 CAD
Via PayPal or VISA = $1,608.64 CAD
So the Sideshow conversion would save me $19.15 CAD. A tiny saving (about 1.2% - NOT 3%) - but a saving nonetheless.

the XE.com rate came in at $1,557.23 CAD, but you NEVER get the XE rate from PayPal, VISA or ANYONE ELSE - EVERYONE takes a cut.
Even XE won't give the published rate - it's displayed rates are "based on live mid-market rates. These rates are not available to consumer clients".

Long story short - Sideshow have saved us some money here.
HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #62
Fixedluck
Doh!

Sorry heavy metal but your post is way to vague. All cards are different in the fees they charge, so you saying that they are saving us 1.2% is not true. I used the same item you did to do my own math with my card and got this:

The upcoming Predator 1:4 maquette, $1249.99 USD
Via Sideshow = 1604.49
Via My Mastercard = 1604.89
I never do via paypal as their conversion rates are worse than any card I have ever owned. Even when paying through paypal I check the box to have them covert with my card, not on their site.

So for my card it is a savings of $0.40 Cad. Add on top of that the fact that I would lose the bonus 4% cash back my card gives me on foreign transactions equaling $64.20 Cad so now I am down $63.80 Cad.

At the end of the day each card is different so the math above will only be the same for people with the same mastercard as me and all I am asking for is for sideshow to show transparency in their post, and telling us the fee they are charging for paying them in a foreign currency. Which from the math I did on my previous post is about 2.9% and that is what should be stated in their post. Not that they are saving you 2-3%.
Fixedluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #63
HeavyMetalSpike

You seem to have an incorrect understanding of the word "vague"

I'm not surprised

Old 02-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #64
COI

Man, some of you really go for the most nefarious interpretation possible with everything Sideshow does.

I think it's good to discuss pros and cons to things and whether something is a good or bad idea, but it seems like that's impossible to do without people assuming the absolute worst-case intent. It's like there is this constant search for outrage.

Why deal with a company at all if you think they're so bad?
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #65
HeavyMetalSpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Man, some of you really go for the most nefarious interpretation possible with everything Sideshow does.

I think it's good to discuss pros and cons to things and whether something is a good or bad idea, but it seems like that's impossible to do without people assuming the absolute worst-case intent. It's like there is this constant search for outrage.

Why deal with a company at all if you think they're so bad?
Yeah - I'm not exactly shy when it comes to pointing out Sideshow's shortcomings, but they were trying to do a good thing here.

Plus they give you the option of going back to the old way (paying in USD) so I don't understand the griping.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #66
Fixedluck
Doh!

I thought we could all act like grown ups. Shouldn't be surprised.

Vague - thinking or communicating in an unfocused or imprecise way.

Your post is very imprecise. You are taking one example and passing it off as fact.

The griping, for me, come from one issue is that they are lying to the customers in their post. They state they are 'eliminating the Foreign Transaction Fee', which they are not. I don't expect them to convert it for free. I just expect that their post on the matter tell the customer the truth.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #67
HeavyMetalSpike

Another sock-puppet troll account

Old 02-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #68
Fixedluck
Doh!

Lol okay. Just trying to help out fellow collectors who might be deceived by Sideshow's email. If you want to feed people false information saving they are saving us money, go ahead, but I'm sure many will have been helped who read my post. Have a nice life bud.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #69
Y3E
Gen 13

I think it would depend on the credit card company you are using. The one I used has a 3 cents mark up, similar to Paypal, so I would benefit from the SS conversion.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:29 PM   #70
Fixedluck
Doh!

Yea, I mentioned that in my post Y3E. 'At the end of the day each card is different so the math above will only be the same for people with the same mastercard as me'. It is very dependent on the the CC that you are using. But apparently that is being a troll on here.

Be careful doing it through paypal as I have used 4 different CC on there on the years and all 4 had lower conversion rates than Paypal.