Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 11-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
MALITO
Doh!

super sculpey help

Hi

My Super Sculpey has been sitting on a shelf for a long time and became hard and stiff, is it a way to soft it?
Thank you
MALITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
cblakey1
Cyclops

Is it completely air-cured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALITO
Hi

My Super Sculpey has been sitting on a shelf for a long time and became hard and stiff, is it a way to soft it?
Thank you
If it's not solid as a rock, you can still work it into a soft, workable state by breaking off bits at a time and working them into softness.

Heck, it sits in the store long enough and doesn't get hard.. unless you have it by a heat source, it should still be fine.

It pisses my wife off, but I keep all my Sculpey products in the 'fridge.
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:15 AM   #3
Hsoj
Frackin!

You can buy a product in the sculpey department called "Sculpey Clay Softener". All you need is a few drops per pound so a bottle lasts for ages. It's easy to use too much and make your sculpey too soft! I suggest getting a pasta machine when you go to get the softner, they usually have them for sale next to the sculpey since they're popular for use with polymer clay. This will svae your hands from carpel tunnel if you sculpt alot. You can condition a pound of hard sculpey in a few minutes with a pasta machine and a few drop of clay softner. It's not a great idea to improvise the softner by using mineral oil or vaseline because it can burn and/or screw up the mix of polymers in the clay. The softner is the chemical Plasticiser that they use at the factory when they make it.
Hsoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
Imagination Asylum
Frackin!

Liquid Sculpey

Any store that supplies sculpey should have sculpy dilutent or sculpy liquid. I chop up the sculpey into small pieces, pour the dilutent in with it usually in a ziplock bag and mix and mush until it is workable. This is what I have been doing with the Midwest clay and it works great. Otherwise you can tear pieces off and work them with your hands. Good luck either way!

Rich Dufresne

Imagination is Everything!
Imagination Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 01:01 AM   #5
Imagination Asylum
Frackin!

Sculpey

On a funny note...I bought some small blocks of Sculpey III to work with some Flesh colored Sculpey I had. I left the Sculpey on the
back seat in my car about a month ago. 3 days later I remembered it. You guessed it several little blocks of hard as rock Sculpey. So keep it away from all heat sorces even sun in a car. My bad!!! LOL!

Rich Dufresne

Imagination is Everything!
Imagination Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote