Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Kotobukiya

Old 02-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

I couldn't even say how much actual money I've spent, because my initial purchases were funded by selling off a lot of graphic novels and action figures. And some of my more recent acquisitions have come from selling or trading other statues. But even with that and the fact that my collection is pretty modest in size, I've still poured more money into the hobby than I care to think about.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureInvasion View Post
well its all about choosing your purchases. I like some of the smaller statues but most of the time I'd rather not buy 4-5 of the smaller statues and instead get a larger one.

As for the BIG purchases (for me at least) which are the 1:1 busts, all the money I've made from selling action figures I put towards these purchases. So far I've pretty much paid off the Captain America and Batman 1:1's...I'll be selling more to get cash towards the Daredevil 1:1 as well
I did the same when I started my statue collection. I collected female McFarlane figures for ten years. I ended up selling the whole collection and with the money I made off of those sales, I used towards my statues. You would think, by my pre-orders I have above, that I have a huge collection, but I really don't. All my statue boxes fit in a regular sized closet.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #13
tzeiko
Doh!

Not so much, because i just started collecting

Bought the Koto Darth Maul first and noticed the Bishoujo line and well i really liked it so I ordered Dark Phoenix and Black Cat. Added Black Batgirl, Psylocke and Catwoman to my collection last month, together with the Koto Cody. I searched some weeks for the Catwoman but was able to get her for 80€ - wich is OK i think. Ivy and Mystique should also arrive this month.

Pre Ordered Aayla Secura EX, the Kenpachi and Byakuya Kuchiki Statue from tsume and the upcoming Bishoujos, of course. I will get some of the older Bishoujos next month I think. Still not sure which one. Theres so much I would like to buy but I told myself to stick with Star Wars and the bishoujo line first, because I dont have this much money . Wanted to add Marvel PFs to my collection but after my favorite character got this bad painting(yeah Rogue) I dropped the idea ^^. Also I dont add the same statue with a different painting to my collection. Just makes no sense to me. I pick the one wich looks best and buy it.

At the moment there's no problem adding some bishoujos to my collection each month. But when the more expensive statues come out I will have to plan some more.
tzeiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
risingstar
Jedi Order

Hmmm... I sell what I don't want to buy the stuff I do.
However, lately, it appears like more product is going out than coming in.

This year's orders:

BD Thor modern museum - arrived
BD Thor classic action
BD Eternity bust
BD Surtur bust
BD Thanos Throne statue

SS Faith BTVS - arrived
SS Angel BTVS
SS Thor movie PF
SS Cap movie PF
SS Alien chap
SS Batman 1:1
SS Joker

DC Starfire
DC Raven
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
hotrodhoodrat
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

I'm far from Rich... "I wish daily to have more money !!" LOL
I look for deals or I don't get the statue. I cap off my spending,
budgeting how much I can afford, actions help sometimes or
if I have money left over in my B.account I save it for the next month and so on..
Looking for deals some times helps, but some of the statues are marked up and keep rising in price, so
I can't afford them, so I'll wait, if I never get them, so be it.
If I really want a peace bad enough I could sell things I own to get what I'm looking for but I usually don't.
hotrodhoodrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #16
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy View Post
Hi I was wondering with the prices for these statues they add up really fast. It's an expensive hobby to only people who has extra money to spend. But then people who buy just about every statue that comes out. Some even buys all the variants. Just curious how do you keep a budget for all those? Or do some people here are just super rich lol. I wanted to get a red and white Phoenix but ebays to expensive. This site seems to only allow us to sell / trade if we pay. Is there another place where collectors can just trade statues? I do have extras that I would love to trade with other collectors to try to obtain the 2 phoenixes.
I think the bishoujo's are good statues for the amount they are charging when they initally come out. They do increase in value so it can be seen as an investment, but I really like most of the ones I have collected. I was previously into other statues and I really need to sell some so I can make room, but my old stuff wasn't as valuable as the bishoujos.
ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

I have started to become really, really picky and I have regressed back to my focus on Batman/Gotham related product (not that it will be a cut back year with TDKR on the horizon :/)
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
kangaxx
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

*fires up expendtiure spreadsheet*
Koto - USD1,057 *bishojou line only*

the general consensus I suppose is try to maintain a line of collection at a time, so that your stuff looks consistent and you don't overspend.
eg: If you are interested in Marvel/DC only, don't bother buying the Tekken/ME bishojous. Saves a heck lot of money.

And don't go "oooh I gotta have that!" everytime they announce something new.
kangaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
Mizukithepanda
Frackin!

Well, I've spent about $900-$1000 total on my collection, not including the various insane amounts of shipping that some of my pieces required. However, it should also be noted that the single most expensive piece in my collection (my Kaiyodo Sakura cold cast figure) only ran me about $120.

I've always been really conservative about spending too much on a single figure, and even now I just can't justify spending $200 or more on a single piece.

I also have absolutely no line loyalty whatsoever. I only buy the figures of characters that I love and don't bother with the rest even if it leaves the team or lineup looking incomplete. My interests are just far too varied for me to collect entire lines.

As for right now, I have five things preordered this year. (And, unfortunately none of them are DC/Marvel. I wanted to get the Storm Bishoujo, but unless that sculpt gets some massive improvements by the time it comes out, I don't want to waste my money.) They're gonna cost me about $250 total, not including shipping. Unfortunately, they're probably not going to be the only things I buy this year, since Koto has several male figures that I want that'll likely come out after July.
Mizukithepanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #20
Artsta
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

The way my list is gonna go for the rest of this year is:

From Kotobukiya:
Capcom Bishojou Line (All Statues)
Liara Bishojou
Powergirl Bishojou
Harley Quinn Bishojou
Elektra Bishojou
Black Widow LE Bishojou
Batman Jim Lee ArtFX
The Dark Knight Returns ArtFX

Other Companies:
1/3 Ryu - PopShockCulture
1/4 Chun-Li - Sota Toys
Street Fighter Licensed Statue Kits (All Kits) - Erick Sosa
Incredible Hulk Bookend - Gentle Giant LTD
The Thing Bookend - Gentle Giant LTD
Mr. Fix It Hulk (Bowen - regretting this pre-order... But to late now)

Already purchased this year:

Afro Samurai & Ninja Ninja LE - DC Direct
Poison IVY - Kotobukiya
Ms Marvel - Kotobukiya
Supergirl - Ami-Comi
Supergirl Miniature - Ami-Comi
Invisible Woman - Kotobukiya
Batgirl - Kotobukiya
Thrashball Cole - SDCC Exclusive Bronze
Kasumi - Sega Japanese Import

And lets not even get into the action figures...
Artsta is offline   Reply With Quote