Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 12-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
10seki
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

weapons?

Hello all,

I'm excited to say after months of procrastinating due to a hectic schedule I have finally started my first sculpt and am so far very pleased with it. I am however, running into the problem of finding how to sculpt the weapon (a large sword type). I've searched a few forums and sites and can't find anything too useful in helping with tips on keeping the weapon straight and symmetrical.

I've seen a few suggestions that its easier to use a milliput putty and sand it down? I have been using sculpey on the figure and would prefer not to have to purchase more supplies. So, any suggestions/links/tips? Thanks in advance.
10seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

I recently sculpted a large axe for a piece and used plastic card and aves. I simply drew the shape I wanted onto the plastic card and cut it out then applied aves to one side. After that was dry I flipped it over and added aves to the other side making sure it was an even thickness.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
JetFire76
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Hey 10seki,

Congrats man!! Why don't you post some pics?!?!? *aigo*.

Here is something you can try if you don't want to spend anymore money.... its the only way I can think of. Create a rectangle the size of the sword you want to sculpt. Bake it. Draw lines on the recangle where the blade will be sharp? For example, if you were looking to make a generic sword, draw a line down the middle on the top of the rectangle and on the sides. Take a hard flat object... wrap some sand paper around it... and start sanding till you sand down to the lines.

You will need to make sure that your using a flat tool wrapped with sandpaper to do this to ensure a flat surface for your sword. This method will probably take a little longer.

If your willing to spend $3.00, head over to Pearl or Blicks and pick up a sheet of styrene and create a sword that way. Alot easier since you can draw an outline of the sword, cut it and sand it down to the shape you want with a flat surfaced sandpaper.

Sorry for the long winded response. Hope this helps~

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10seki View Post
Hello all,

I'm excited to say after months of procrastinating due to a hectic schedule I have finally started my first sculpt and am so far very pleased with it. I am however, running into the problem of finding how to sculpt the weapon (a large sword type). I've searched a few forums and sites and can't find anything too useful in helping with tips on keeping the weapon straight and symmetrical.

I've seen a few suggestions that its easier to use a milliput putty and sand it down? I have been using sculpey on the figure and would prefer not to have to purchase more supplies. So, any suggestions/links/tips? Thanks in advance.
JetFire76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
10seki
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

thanks guys

haha jetfire, ill post soon its not done yet. im having difficulty with the accessories and weapon. shouldnt have chosen such a difficult guy to start with. ill spare the 3 bucks and try the styrene lol.
10seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
JetFire76
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Awesome man! Can't wait!
JetFire76 is offline   Reply With Quote