Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #181
Brru
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Im currently working through the Sherlock Holmes collection. I've never read them and always wanted to, so I decided to use the upcoming movie as a goal to have them all read by. Im about halfway through them.

Im also sitting on a book called HeartShaped box by Joe Hill. Its a ghost story that's supposed to be super creepy and amazing. Joe Hill is Stephen Kings son, so anyone that loves King should check it out. Everyone I know has read it and they all say its better then most of Stephen Kings stuff for those that dont like stephen king heh.
Brru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #182
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brru View Post
Im currently working through the Sherlock Holmes collection. I've never read them and always wanted to, so I decided to use the upcoming movie as a goal to have them all read by. Im about halfway through them.
Good call.

I gave up on 1974, as it was horrible. Started reading Jeeves & Wooster instead. Much more enjoyable, what ho!
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 PM   #183
protector2814
Phoenix

Gotta say, I'm around 400 pages deep into Steven King's Under The Dome, and, dare I say it, the book's good and giving me the same buzz as The Stand did 30 years back. At a 1000+ pages, he still has a bit more room to crash&burn, but maybe, just maybe, King's back.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:17 AM   #184
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I've been on a Larry Niven kick for a while now. I loved him when I first got into Sci-fi. His Known Space books including the Ringworld books shaped my vision of the genre and what it could be. I recently came across a bunch of newer novels that fill in the gaps and continue the saga of Known Space. It's like being transported back twenty years and forward seven hundred at the same time.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #185
AsOneDead
You got red on you

H.P Lovecraft: Tales
The Field: Quest for the secret force of the universe
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #186
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9ziggy View Post
The King Raven Trilogy by Stephen Lawhead.

It's a retelling of the Robin Hood story in a more historically accurate setting with an interesting twist on the Hood character. I finished the first book ("Hood") and am now on the second, "Scarlet". It is actually quite interesting that the author totally changed his "voice" for the second, while the Scarlet character is now telling us his story.
Got all three for Christmas and have almost finished Hood. Excellent. Thanks again for pointing these out, I never would have found 'em.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #187
Immovable Blob
I'm writing an unauthorized autobiography.

Just finished Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals. For those unaware of his Discworld word I cannot recommend it enough.
Immovable Blob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #188
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

gears of war - aspho fields
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #189
k9ziggy
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Got all three for Christmas and have almost finished Hood. Excellent. Thanks again for pointing these out, I never would have found 'em.
Glad you're enjoying it! I'm about halfway through "Tuck" and they have been consistently very good.
k9ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #190
spenca7
Loki

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide...loving it!!! It is a lot so it moves slow for me but it's good
spenca7 is offline   Reply With Quote