Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #11
supermetroid
Teen Titans

^Wow, that's messed up. Sorry to hear that, it's scary how little or no compassion some people have for others. I think there's been a lot of good advice here, I'm hoping to sell part of my collection next year and this thread will help. How does insurance with FedEx and UPS work? Do you have to bring in the statue and show them the condition of it?
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #12
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
How does insurance with FedEx and UPS work? Do you have to bring in the statue and show them the condition of it?

I'm still trying to figure this out for sure. I know when I ship UPS, I can select a "declared value" of the item which is essentially the insurance. I think it only kicks in if they are at fault, and from what I gathered from other eBayers they will want some sort of proof. (I.e. photos of a damaged item upon opening, sometimes images of the shipping box).
If someone claims the item arrived damage I would definitely try to get as many photos of the damage as possible, plus any images of the shipping box condition in case its needed. Of course, a shipping box can look fine and an item can still be damaged - but they will want something to work with to show damage - else people could collude and get free items from insurance that are actually fine.

Another tip I learned from eBayers is to make sure the address on eBay & PayPal match, and never send an item to an address not on file even if the buyer asks you to via eBay's message center. Apparently even if you have this documentation in the message center, you can be SoL if the buyer claims the item wasn't received even if you can track the item to the address requested in message center. In these situations, you are supposed to cancel the sale and ask them to amend their PayPal address on record and buy the item again.

This one surprised me as in the past I'd ship to other locations if a buyer said something like "Oh can you ship it to my work address so it's not sitting outside all day?" and didn't think anything of it, but doing so without it being on record for paypal can open you up to a scam.
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
Gothamite
Phoenix

Filing an insurance claim with USPS is fairly easy, though they prefer that you use their website rather than go to a physical store. Also, they are pretty strict about the insured amount. If the seller bought insurance for $100, you will get only $100, even if you can prove the item is worth more.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #14
Gothamite
Phoenix

Something else to bear in mind. You can set minimum requirements for buyers, such as a certain number of Feedback, and you can block specific buyers on a Blocked Bidders/Buyers list.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #15
XMRogue

An hour before New Year's ball drops, I get a warning from eBay that I tried to sell my Sideshow Wolverine outside their system. They threaten to charge me a final value fee of $50 even though I didn't even sell it.

What actually happened is the buyer asked if I'd lower the price if I took the sale outside of eBay and thus wasn't charged an eBay fee. I didn't respond.

Another buyer asked if I'd sell him only the unmasked head. I said no.

Annoyed, I delisted and then got warned. Not only did I get a rude email right before the Holiday, had to spend a half hour of today waiting for them to "investigate" and have my warning removed. Irritated.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #16
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMRogue View Post
An hour before New Year's ball drops, I get a warning from eBay that I tried to sell my Sideshow Wolverine outside their system. They threaten to charge me a final value fee of $50 even though I didn't even sell it.

What actually happened is the buyer asked if I'd lower the price if I took the sale outside of eBay and thus wasn't charged an eBay fee. I didn't respond.

Annoyed, I delisted and then got warned. Not only did I get a rude email right before the Holiday, had to spend a half hour of today waiting for them to "investigate" and have my warning removed. Irritated.
I think anytime you delist, they suspect an outside sale especially if you have received any questions about the item.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #17
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMRogue View Post

Next time block the buyers. Delisting is a big red flag.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #18
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I do everything mentioned. When I'm selling statues over $50 I always ship them insured so it takes a bit of the stress off of me. My settings are set up like Gothamite and nbr3bagshotrow suggested, no bidders under 10 and block those who give me issues paying so I don't have future headaches. I also mention that all sales are final and have not had an issue for the 15 years (or more) I've been I've been selling. I also am very frank in the description section, I mention that these are massed produced items, nothing is perfect, and to come to your own conclusion based on the photos supplied and to ask questions if not sure BEFORE placing a bid.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #19
XMRogue

Hi moon_knight,- would you happen to know how I can avoid bidders under 10? I can't seem to select this in the option. The highest feedback score it allows me to block is (-1).
Old 01-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #20
moon_knight1971
Rescue

It looks like that feature has been removed so I must have them grand-fathered. Now you have to actually copy and paste the buyers ebay name to get them blocked.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote