Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 02-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Hanukkah With the Superheroes by Jeff Moy

Now before we get to the art let me say I hope I offend no one with my brain storming and etc… That being said I love seeing the holidays come by in December, particularly Christmas since I’m Greek Orthodox. One thing that increases like heck is artists who draw superheroes celebrating holidays (largely Christmas) and I wanted to get one as well. Seeing your favorite characters celebrate holidays are always fun so I was primed a year ago to get a Tomorrow Woman piece with her celebrating Christmas but I decided after all not to get anything and wait the following year (this year) though that also hit me hard because the artist I considered for the original idea died just a month later which makes me regret waiting.

But as the months passed I sat down and contemplated the fact that well…Tomorrow Woman had no official religious affiliation. The more I thought about it the more I realized I shouldn’t just casually ascribe her a religion but try to give her one that made some sense.

And then I remembered something Gail Simone showed in her run on Wonderwoman, particularly the Genocide arc, that Professor T.O Morrow one of Tomorrow Woman’s creators/fathers if we can use that term was Jewish. And it occurred to me that having her be Jewish might be a really fun idea.

I decided to also include another character in the piece because ultimately it’d be a bit of a shame to make one character who was and likely will never be officially Jewish be the centerpiece of a Hanukkah related piece. So I decided to have her share the spotlight in the piece with DC’s most prominent Jewish superhero, Batwoman.

I chose Jeff Moy in particular because he did a Christmas piece for Jude Deluca (he's on CAF) some time ago that I thought was adorable and he looked like a nice fit.

Lastly I had Batwoman and Tomorrow Woman in their civilian identities as it’d be a more personal private affair than their superheroing is and the heroics don’t really play a part in their religiosity and the like but it’s still there in the background of what makes them themselves.

Hope this made some level of sense to folks!

I'll be putting this up on CAF later today but I figured I'd show it off to you folks before I do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TW BW Jeff Moy.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	692.8 KB
ID:	76878  
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
MrYac
Hercules

cool idea for a piece, and how in the world would this offend anyone. should we be looking forward to more holiday heroes popping up any time soon, would be a cool theme to run with for a bit
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I think it's a great piece and a great story.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
cool idea for a piece, and how in the world would this offend anyone. should we be looking forward to more holiday heroes popping up any time soon, would be a cool theme to run with for a bit
How would it offend someone? Well, religion is always a touchy subject so I figured I'd say that beforehand.

Hah, it could make a fun theme if I had ideas for other religions. But alas.

Glad you folks liked it.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

And in case anyone wanted to see it on CAF as opposed to here for any reason it's up there.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=981962

Thanks again!