Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-24-2017, 09:32 PM   #391
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalSpike View Post
I never looked at this hobby/interest as an investment, and don't mind "losing" money if I ever sell anything.

I buy because I enjoy owning and looking at pieces of art depicting my fave pop-culture characters.

So I'm good regardless of resale value

I feel the same. I don't spend what I can't afford to lose, which means I have to say 'no' to lots of stuff, but I'd rather do that and not worry about it.

But we're in the minority. Most collectors collect with the justification that they can always break even or profit, which I understand because I used to think that way as well. If someone finds themselves in that camp, this isn't a good time to be a Canadian collector.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #392
ambasah
Red Skull

good discussion.

I hate "losing" money. nothing to do with whether I can afford it or not. I just hate it : )
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #393
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
That's nice you feel like that but what about your loves ones who will want to sell them when your gone? Collecting is fun and should not be a investment.. Then again total up the cost of your collection and it adds up, Specially with Rising prices.Nobody wants to collect things that are worth nothing either. Just food for thought..
I'm 62 and when I get to 70 I plan on starting to unload. I'm not going to burden my family with figuring out what to do with my collectibles (especially my thousands of comics). Ones they would really like to keep i will hold on to but even though they like my stuff they are younger and don't have the space for my stuff nor the same passion.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #394
COI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasah View Post
good discussion.

I hate "losing" money. nothing to do with whether I can afford it or not. I just hate it : )
The way I look at it is, most non-collecting hobbies cost money that you'll never see again; just plain consumption. So if the time comes to sell my collection and I end up losing 25% or whatever, I look at that as the cost of admission.

But that's me, and I see your side of it as well.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:18 AM   #395
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I'm 62 and when I get to 70 I plan on starting to unload. I'm not going to burden my family with figuring out what to do with my collectibles (especially my thousands of comics). Ones they would really like to keep i will hold on to but even though they like my stuff they are younger and don't have the space for my stuff nor the same passion.

I don't think I'll have the energy to sell at 70... lol. I've already started to sell my silver age comics. I recently slabbed around 200 books and have sold around 30 so far (i.e., on eBay and ComicConnect) and largely made really good money. As for statues, I'm always selling something, if only to subsidize the new ones I buy. It might be time for you to consider selling some of your older statues as I'm noticing most do not have long term value. With every release of a Hulk or Darth Vader statue, for example, there's greater competition to sell the older ones ones which are sometimes not as nice.

Timing is key too. I sold all of my Gentle Giant Star Wars statues when the going was still good. However, I still have numerous smaller scale statues and busts from other companies no longer with us which I may have to move at a substantial loss. I imagine the longer I wait, the more I will lose. In 5 years, no one is going to be interested in a US Agent, Nighthawk or Mangog bust, let alone even know who they are.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #396
HeavyMetalSpike
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)
Quote:
Nah - no worries.

My folks have a detailed cataloguing system for all the info they may need, will keep the pieces they want due to likes or sentimental value, and will have fun selling on the others.

They've paid their cost back during display-time, anything else is a bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
The way I look at it is, most non-collecting hobbies cost money that you'll never see again; just plain consumption.
So if the time comes to sell my collection and I end up losing 25% or whatever, I look at that as the cost of admission.

Yeah - we is same page.

I would have expected most folks here to feel the same way - but each to their own. It's all good.

HeavyMetalSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #397
walokbig
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Click image for larger version

Name:	6GA81.gif
Views:	7
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	105530
Quote:
I never looked at this hobby/interest as an investment, and don't mind "losing" money if I ever sell anything.

I buy because I enjoy owning and looking at pieces of art depicting my fave pop-culture characters.

So I'm good regardless of resale value

walokbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #398
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
The way I look at it is, most non-collecting hobbies cost money that you'll never see again; just plain consumption. So if the time comes to sell my collection and I end up losing 25% or whatever, I look at that as the cost of admission.

This is how I see things too... I felt we have had this conversation before.

Breaking even or getting a profit is awesome of course, but I compare this to my other hobbies for example, I like to play video games. I can buy a video game for $80 and guess what happens when it comes time to sell it, I might get $5 lol... so if I can enjoy a statue for a couple years and sell it for even close to what I paid I consider that a win.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:14 PM   #399
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:

So I'm good regardless of resale value .
I've always been in the mind frame that I will sell statues for less if I have to get rid of it. As I've said before, I see these as used products and not appreciable items. However, if I know I can sell something at a profit I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Yeah, I don't want to burden my family with my collectibles either. My wife hates what I collect as it is and always trying to get me to sell them. I just hope I don't die all of a sudden before I get rid of my things. I've actually started to unload some of my comic books, giving them to a friend so he can sell them and make himself some extra cash. I just shake my head at some of the things I collected.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #400
Fremen
Birds of Prey

FYI, SS is switching to DHL to ship to Canada.
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote