Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #1551
Parallax
Nightwing

I ultimately decided to go with Prime 1 because of their beautiful McFarlane headsculpt and the sheer size and detail packed into him. Sideshow was my second choice, but Venom is not a character I want more than one statue of. I'm honestly not crazy about XM's Venom. It's a good statue, but I prefer the big bulky monster build over the lean muscular look that their Venom has. The heads definitely look too narrow, but I really like the Eddie Brock one.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #1552
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanesg View Post
I've always been pretty critical of their headsculpts, but I'd be the first to admit they're getting much better recently. The vulture and the new Catwoman are two that come to mind.
That Vulture...lol

Great representation of a geriatric bird. I mean it, they nailed it. But man...that's going to be a tough sell on the secondary market down the road.

As to the SS Venom, I have to admit, it is slowly growing on me.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #1553
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
That Vulture...lol

Great representation of a geriatric bird. I mean it, they nailed it. But man...that's going to be a tough sell on the secondary market down the road.

As to the SS Venom, I have to admit, it is slowly growing on me.
If you bought an XM Vulture, I'd hope you'd realize that.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #1554
Cougrcrumby
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaMitchell View Post
Head sculpts and portraits have always been XM's weakest link. If you look at the head sculpt on their Venom, it is much too narrow, like he's trying to squeeze his head through prison bars. There's just something off about it.

I think SS's Mcfarlane head is the truest representation on the market.
I'll also admit that the SS venom is growing on me. I'll concede that in the past XM's weakest link has been the portraits but they are definitely getting better. Especially the males. I've always liked their magneto. I think the up coming iron fist is awesome as well. I really love the mid tans formation Brock portrait and because of this I've chosen to go with the xm venom. SS McFarland/Bagley head blows away the regular head though.
Cougrcrumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #1555
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I can only speak for myself but the reason I'm waiting to see Prime 1's is because even though it will cost at least $700 it would be worth the stretch.
Looking back at all the people complaining about the price at 625.00 but have no problem paying 900.00 for p1 and 1500.00 for Xm piece.Don't even get me started on deadpool.. Sometimes it makes me want to
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #1556
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
Looking back at all the people complaining about the price at 625.00 but have no problem paying 900.00 for p1 and 1500.00 for Xm piece.Don't even get me started on deadpool.. Sometimes it makes me want to
It's about value perception. They do not believe the piece is worth it for a number of personal reasons.

This is a problem that SS have created for themselves with increased edition sizes, questionable quality and unpopular art direction on key characters.

People need to feel something that they are buying is truly special. Like a Rolex vs a Casio watch.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:42 PM   #1557
COI

It is about value perception, but it's also about double standards.

It doesn't matter how many "hits" Sideshow delivers, people will focus on the "misses" in order to keep whining about prices.

The double standards play into value perception. For certain people, nothing Sideshow does will ever warrant commensurate pricing with Prime 1 or XM. When the edition sizes are high, it's greed; when they're low it's LOL low sales.

Just look at the Thanos thread. There are already complaints and we haven't seen jack yet.

Sideshow deserves its share of criticism, but they can never do right by all these collectors acting like scorned lovers.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #1558
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

This tends to be the topics in threads I tend to ignore or chuckle at.

If you can't handle being an adult and making your own decisions, then I can't handle your senseless whining.

Criticism of a pieces sculpt is a different story.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:05 AM   #1559
KELPIE
New Republic

As I said before, if SS didn't have that texture going on, it'd be the Venom for me.

As it is now, I'm stuck wondering which Venom, if any, to get...

Might just get Voltron instead.
KELPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #1560
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
It is about value perception, but it's also about double standards.

It doesn't matter how many "hits" Sideshow delivers, people will focus on the "misses" in order to keep whining about prices.

The double standards play into value perception. For certain people, nothing Sideshow does will ever warrant commensurate pricing with Prime 1 or XM. When the edition sizes are high, it's greed; when they're low it's LOL low sales.

Just look at the Thanos thread. There are already complaints and we haven't seen jack yet.

Sideshow deserves its share of criticism, but they can never do right by all these collectors acting like scorned lovers.
It just means their brand is damaged , there is nothing personal here. People are passionate about products when they agree with the company at some level and believe in what that company is doing,obviously something went wrong somewhere where people felt cheated, so they just assume that they will be cheated again. It's just very toxic nowadays .

Edit : Ok so I saw the Thanos thread . Good lord that's bad lol.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote