Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

Thoughts & Musings On The New DC (A Baker's Dozen)

1) Do we really need another Justice League book? After the glut of Avengers and X books over at Marvel failed to pan out, you would think DC would take note.

2) Why are all the female characters at DC starting to look like brainless twinkies, vs. strong, capable women?

3) No Legion of Super-Heroes? Really?!?

4) Now would have been the PERFECT time to reintroduce THE BRAVE & THE BOLD.....unless DC doesn't WANT there to be interaction between their characters now!

5) Not sure where they're going with EARTH 2:SOCIETY, but I hope it's more about the building of a team.....and a new world.

6) Looking forward to the Martian Manhunter book.

7) I hope Zatanna lands somewhere.....soon.

8) No Legion of Super-Heroes?!? Again....REALLY???

9) I'm not sure who the dude is that's taking over GREEN ARROW, but I sure hope he gets it right.

10) Ditto BLACK CANARY.

11) Here's hoping we get to find out more about Black Orchid, be it in an on-going series or a mini.

12) I hope the statement (and I'm paraphrasing here) that "story will trump continuity" doesn't mean things will be all willy-nilly. You NEED a thread holding it all together.

13) No Legion of Super-Heroes?!? C'mon, Geoff Johns....give this group it's just dues! If anyone can do it, you can!
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Kicksplode
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
Adamantium Member

RE #12 - it sounds like all they mean is that is that they're going to treat more books like Harley Quinn and Batgirl. They reflect general continuity, but they pretty much do their own thing and don't have a lot of direct interaction with other books. That's what I want to see from DC. There have been way too many crossover storylines and other things that interrupt the flow of good books.
Kicksplode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
ftrez
Nightwing

No Captain Marvel/Shazam!?!?!?
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicksplode View Post
RE #12 - it sounds like all they mean is that is that they're going to treat more books like Harley Quinn and Batgirl. They reflect general continuity, but they pretty much do their own thing and don't have a lot of direct interaction with other books. That's what I want to see from DC. There have been way too many crossover storylines and other things that interrupt the flow of good books.
Precisely why I have read a Green Lantern book since Johns left the title. Every other month they're having some massive crossover with the other Lantern titles. Just got sick of it over time.
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:04 AM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

To your #2 point, I totally agree.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
sleepindeath
Nightwing

Low sales answer to questions #3 #8 #13
sleepindeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
ReplicantSavior

I have no clue what's going on with the New DC stuff. I was disappointed with the first 6 issues of Justice League and that was supposed to be one of the flagship titles.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 PM   #8
PureInvasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepindeath View Post
Low sales answer to questions #3 #8 #13
Indeed. The book failed once. Let's bring it back to fail all over again...
I'm sure we'll see a form of the Legion down the line when DC figures out how to make it succeed. A few of these new titles are just limited series' and will likely either be replaced by other ongoing titles or a different limited series when the run is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I have no clue what's going on with the New DC stuff. I was disappointed with the first 6 issues of Justice League and that was supposed to be one of the flagship titles.
so you stopped reading in Feb 2012. Definitely relevant...
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
Fannymac
I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it.

I agree that too many cross overs really hurt a lot of the New 52, SUPER GIRL being a prime example....she never got the chance to develop beyond this surly, snotty teen.
That said, I hope there's SOME interaction between the various heroes/books....I think the lack of it (not counting a lot of the "family" cross overs) hurt the books....Green Arrow was in his own little world....Wonder Woman (especially!) was in her own little world....etc.
As for the Legion.....remember, there was a period where this book traded off with Batman and Teen Titans as DC's best selling book. Unfortunately, Paul Levitz ~ who I consider to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, Legion writer, just did not have his head in the game on the last two runs.
You need three things to make the Legion work....A) GREAT characterization, to differentiate all those characters and make people CARE about them, B) KILLER art work, and C) stories that are unlike anything else you're going to get in any other team book. I still think Geoff Johns could pull this off.
Fannymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #10
Medusoid
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
To your #2 point, I totally agree.
Me too. It's also the reason why I refuse to read anything from DC right now.
Medusoid is offline   Reply With Quote