Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2023, 12:22 AM   #1
Xenomrph
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Broken Statue Emotional Support Group

This thread is for anyone who has (ideally, accidentally) broken a statue or had one of their statues broken or damaged.

This weekend I was renovating my nerd room where I intend to display all my statues, action figures, transformers, and other nerdy stuff; is involved clearing off some shelves so they could get moved over and bolted to other shelves. I was doing this on Friday evening, in preparation for my friend to come over and help build everything and set it all up on Saturday.

So I'm taking my Sideshow Premium Format Starfire statue off the top shelf. I've got a good grip on the base, but then I lose my grip on Starfire herself and she falls down to the carpet below.

Leg snaps off, wrist breaks, part of the hair on her head chips off, heel of the boot on the broken leg snaps off.

I was beyond livid. Mostly because I knew better; I knew if I'd waited 12 hours then my friend (who is significantly taller and stronger than me) could have helped me take it off the shelf and there would have been no incident. I had no one to blame but myself, I knew better, and I was furious.

So I spend the evening scouring my carpet for as many little pieces as I can find. Most of the stuff ended up being a clean break, and pretty much all the pieces would slot back together and look okay. Initially I couldn't find the heel to the boot, but my friend ended up finding it the next day; turns out it had ricocheted and flew behind one of the bookshelves somehow, we found it when we shuffled the bookshelves around a bit.

I was able to find all of the pieces but one (a tiny part of the wrist; the hand totally hides it when it's plugged in so I'm not that upset), and I glued everything back together and you can really only tell that she's broken if you get right up on top of her and know where to look, so it wasn't a total loss or anything.

I have two other broken statue stories but neither were my fault (both were statues I bought from ebay that came damaged in transit, and were very easy fixes), maybe I'll share them some other time.

Anyone else got any broken statue horror stories? Don't worry, this is a safe and emotionally supportive space, we can all cry together.
Xenomrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:06 AM   #2
qz33
Rescue

Sorry to hear of your damage and disappointment.
I get upset whenever I even ding a statue. I always feel incredibly stupid.

I find solace by putting it in perspective and reminding myself who all is really important and how foolish I am for placing too much emphasis on trivial things like statues.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 02:40 AM   #3
Marcel54
Hellboy

Short story. I ruined all the extra heads on my ARH Conan with Snake when I dropped the box where I was keeping them. Fortunately my favorite head was on the statue at the time.
Marcel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:23 AM   #4
ukshaun
Hercules

Sucker Punch Blondie 1/4 by Gentle Giant
Arrived broken. 1 thumb, 4 fingers, 1 arm, 1 gun, all snapped off.
The ebay seller went silent. I set about re_attatching the parts one by one.

I posted about this back in 2016
http://www.statueforum.com/showthrea...=147668&page=5

Kitana 1/3 by PCS
Arrived with both portraits broken, hair shatter into pieces, ear-rings snapped off.
The seller had placed both portraits into the incorrect areas of the box.
I decided to keep the piece and fix it. I fixed one portrait to a good standard. The masked portrait will take more work. I am looking into investing in an air-brush blow over the fixed hair section.

I posted about this back in 2022
https://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?p=6029460
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:57 AM   #5
SDguy

I feel your pain. I stupidly tried to move SS Rogue comiquette without taking her apart. I forgot she loosely pegged into the base, rather than securely keying in or magnetized. So she just tipped over and shattered onto the floor. I think I finally found her last finger like 6 months later in another room somehow.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:15 PM   #6
sith_apprentice
The Avengers

I've never dropped one, but when I went to Tokyo in 2019, my wife picks me up at the airport and she's like "Oh, I was dusting in your man-cave and I accidentally broke one of your statues". So I'm like, "Tell me it wasn't the lady with 6 arms and the swords" and she just looks at me...

It was my X-Plus Kali from Sinbad, that I'd literally just purchased and hadn't even paid off yet. She'd broken the head off. I was able to superglue it and it wasn't even noticeable, but my OCD eventually got the better of me. When BBTS re-released it this year, I trashed it and bought a new one.
sith_apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:25 PM   #7
Augen
Metal Men

The worst is thin parts like hair you gingerly take out of the box and yet a tiny bit of resistance and...chipped piece.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:56 PM   #8
mmayttsm211
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
The worst is thin parts like hair you gingerly take out of the box and yet a tiny bit of resistance and...chipped piece.
Just had this happen to me, set Joker alternative portrait from Prime 1 deluxe. Gingerly set it on my bed, put the new portrait in, look back and a piece of his spiky hair chipped off. Can?t tell looking at it unless you knew but still heartbreaking .
mmayttsm211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 02:12 AM   #9
PeterP
Frackin!

I just accidentally broke my Prime 1 Hush Batman bust. I was rearranging my office, and I?ve always kept this one on a bookshelf next to a Batman Omnibus. So when putting everything back I put it on the shelf, then a HC copy of Super The Last Son, and before I could put the Batman omni next to it, the HC book toppled over taking his left ear with it. I?ve been trying to find the piece so that I can glue it back together but after 3 hours I?m giving up.

It?s an awful feeling.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:36 AM   #10
BMW///M3
Blue Falcon

This is always a heart breaker. My Leonidas helmet hair piece was broken off when i got it, and ArH had no replacements. So, one member here from NJ that i reached out fixed it for me. So happy!
BMW///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote