Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 03-16-2023, 12:18 AM   #31
xellos49698
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

First thought when I see this is Khaleesi aka Daenerys Targaryen from GOT, not Lady Death.
xellos49698 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:00 AM   #32
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

my $0.02...

The problem with most all (but especially the PCS 1/3rd) Lady Death statues is that sculptors and designers don't have a clue about who Stephen Hughes was and how his original art really embodied that classic '1970's Heavy Metal' style of design. Even Sideshow's Taarna release (from Heavy Metal) looks more like Lady Death than anything else "Lady Death"-statue related has in recent years. And I think it's kinda the sign of the times where every custom statue design you see just wants to give every-single-female "phat assets" rather than appropriate ones - and most all sculpts look the same now. There are multiple X-23 and Spider-Gwen designs where they both have FF-sized breasts, and they look horrid for it. Jean Grey is usually given the same butt as Storm, and now they same the body type as each other. Even Power Girl's chest reduction makes her body look no different than Wonder Woman's *shrugs*

But for Lady Death, what always confuses the hell out of me is when she gets a "thick" statue when she has an actual character rule-book that every artist is given before they (officially) create something her (statue, art, action figure, etc). I've talked to a couple of current artists who work with Coffin, and they all say there are basic rules about what she's supposed to look like - athletic, buxom, 6' tall, slight muscle definition, larger chest-to-hip-to-waist ratio, etc... Yet, somehow PCS (and other companies) give her thick thighs, a smaller chest in comparison, and stumpy legs - and she always comes out looking more like a cosplayer than she looks like the character herself =(

DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:03 AM   #33
Fullscale_PCS
Company Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoCougar View Post
my $0.02...

The problem with most all (but especially the PCS 1/3rd) Lady Death statues is that sculptors and designers don't have a clue about who Stephen Hughes was and how his original art really embodied that classic '1970's Heavy Metal' style of design. Even Sideshow's Taarna release (from Heavy Metal) looks more like Lady Death than anything else "Lady Death"-statue related has in recent years. And I think it's kinda the sign of the times where every custom statue design you see just wants to give every-single-female "phat assets" rather than appropriate ones, and every sculpt looks the same now. There are X-23 and Spider-Gwen designs where they both have FF breasts, and they look horrid for it. Jean Grey is given the same butt as Storm, and they both look exactly the same. Even Power Girl's chest reduction makes her body look no different than Wonder Woman's...

But for Lady Death, it always confuses the hell out of me when she gets a "thick" statue when she has an actual character rule-book that every artist is given before they (officially) create something her (statue, art, action figure, etc). I've talked to a couple of current artists who work with Coffin, and they all say there are basic rules about what she's supposed to look like - athletic, buxom, 6' tall, slight muscle definition, larger chest-to-hip-to-waist ratio, etc... Yet, somehow PCS was allowed to give her thick thighs, a smaller chest in comparison, and stumpy legs...
Your point is well made, but we work closely with coffin on her design from concept through to final sculpt. She's a fully licensed and approved design. We don't work in a creative vacuum. And her backside has been WELL received.

Last edited by Fullscale_PCS; 03-16-2023 at 01:06 AM.
Fullscale_PCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:42 AM   #34
Pharmer
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullscale_PCS View Post
Your point is well made, but we work closely with coffin on her design from concept through to final sculpt. She's a fully licensed and approved design. We don't work in a creative vacuum. And her backside has been WELL received.
It must be a huge challenge trying to stay faithful to the source material that is from a 2D comic character. There are many examples of comic art that looked great the way it was drawn but the 3D piece ended up looking almost inhuman as the anatomical proportions were way off (but done on purpose to exaggerate or convey a sense of movement). Just looking at LD?s image above, if that were turned into a PF, there would probably be a lot of negative feedback about the facial features, anatomy etc?.
Pharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:16 AM   #35
Straken-SWE
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmer View Post
It must be a huge challenge trying to stay faithful to the source material that is from a 2D comic character. There are many examples of comic art that looked great the way it was drawn but the 3D piece ended up looking almost inhuman as the anatomical proportions were way off (but done on purpose to exaggerate or convey a sense of movement). Just looking at LD?s image above, if that were turned into a PF, there would probably be a lot of negative feedback about the facial features, anatomy etc?.

Its not that art direction Coffin Comics have for Lady Death anymore either. PCSs statue look closer to current Lady Death than that 25 year old picture does
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:02 AM   #36
Shoo
Hercules

Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:56 AM   #37
Jiggatron69
The X-Men

Can’t wait! I’m pretty excited for this
Jiggatron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:58 AM   #38
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
I agree with you, need to close the legs a little, kinda looks like she's sitting on the toilet
The Bonus EX could be a squatty potty.

bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:13 AM   #39
Lonewolf65
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Lonewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:13 AM   #40
ukshaun
Hercules

I like the portrait.
One dragon (the dragon behind her) would have been enough.

Since i own a 1/4 Lady Death (by Sideshow) i do not need a 2nd one.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote