Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #361
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Agreed. I won't even watch Brad Metzer shows on history channel because of this comic. He just royaly pissed me off w/ his take on the DC heroes.
I was kind of angry too after reading Identity Crisis cause it made me feel depressed the whole day... but i don't hold a grudge... I think it's just not my cup of tea and yeah, i won't touch another Brad Meltzer book ever again cause 99% they will make me feel depressed too so no way. But it's not personal, i don't hate the guy or anything.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #362
Babytoxie
Ghost

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina volume 1

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa & Francesco Francavilla's series Afterlife with Archie turned a one-off joke into one of the most satisfying horror comics I've ever read. To my surprise, the creators refused to play it safe with those iconic characters, leaning heavily on the horror aspect... and then some. I'm happy to see that Aguirre-Sacasa has taken a similar approach, and possibly even outdone himself, with the more recent title Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which has some surprises of its own. First, while Sabrina played an important role in Afterlife with Archie, this is not a spinoff; rather, it's an all-new version of the character, with a storyline set primarily in the mid-1960s (as with the original Sabrina comics), and even featuring a different version of the Riverdale gang. In addition, the title brings back Madam Satan, a Golden Age MLJ horror character. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Volume 1 collects the first five issues of the series, a gallery of alternate covers and sketches, and a short Madam Satan story from 1941.

After bringing the reader up to speed with the sinister circumstances of Sabrina's birth in the early '50s, the story jumps ahead to the mid-'60s, with Sabrina now of age to accept witchhood and join the coven. While this IS a story about a teenage witch, and her standard supporting characters are present (aunts Hilda and Zelda, boyfriend Harvey Kinkle, cousin Ambrose, rival Rosalind, and cat/familiar Salem), this is definitely NOT a comic for kids. It's more reminiscent of pre-Code horror, with murder, mutilation, cannibalism, the torments of Hell, and Satan-worship (plus an appearance by the fallen one himself), but there's still room for some comedy, dark though it may be.

Robert Hack was a very inspired choice for the title's artist. His softer style is unusual for a horror comic, but I suppose that's what makes the atmosphere all the more unsettling. Also, the reliance on earthtones in his watercolors gives the impression of an eternal October.

I was skeptical that Archie Horror would be able to pull off another winner, but Chilling Adventures of Sabrina far exceeded my expectations. While there are many good horror comics being published today, this title is one of the best.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #363
protector2814
Phoenix

I think Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is one of the best on-going comics out there right now. I like it more than the zombie Archie book that's being written right now by Aguirre-Sacasa. Both books reference classic film & books in the horror genre', but Sabrina uses more of them. This is absolutely written for the true fan of Horror. Lots of surprises!

BT - " Also, the reliance on earthtones in his watercolors gives the impression of an eternal October."

Great point!
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #364
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Witchblade vol.1 by Ron Marz, Mike Choi

It was a fun read. Officer Sara Pezzini has an artifact of great power called Witchblade, she doesn't know what excatly it is and how to use it and it seems The Witchblade kind of has its own mind too... Sara kind of wants her old life before Witchblade but they seem to stuck with each other. Sara Pezzini saves the world from some messed up cult of catholic priests in catholic church in this volume. The Classic Heroic stuff with horror elements and cops and priests. The art is beautiful and writing is good and easy to follow. I quite enjoyed the book as a guy who likes Top Cow universe

The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #365
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Babytoxie, Protector, I totally agree with you about the high quality of Sabrina....but it's too 'dark' for my tastes, I drew the line with zombies and vampires.

I imagine you are going to be on board with Jossie & The Pussycats.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #366
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

47 Ronin By Mike Richardson & Stan Sakai
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:46 AM   #367
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post
Babytoxie, Protector, I totally agree with you about the high quality of Sabrina....but it's too 'dark' for my tastes, I drew the line with zombies and vampires.

Count me in as well! Afterlife with Archie #10 did a cool turn with Josie & The Pussycats.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #368
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Count me in as well! Afterlife with Archie #10 did a cool turn with Josie & The Pussycats.
The Josie & The Pussycats story had to be based on Interview With A Vampire. It really matched up w/ Ann Rice' book.

ClownKnight, I hadn't heard that Archie Publications was now going to devote a horror-update, regular series to Josie. If so, sure, I'll give it a whirl.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #369
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Wonder Woman Earth One was a great read & I loved the artwork
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #370
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post

Regarding Sabrina, I certainly see where you're coming from. Very dark stuff - the final scenes of issue 5, set in Harvey's house, were quite disturbing.

I haven't heard about Josie but will investigate it.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote