Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #21
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Like Protector said, this was the best issue of Shadowland.

Plus I imagine you already have the four issues, so get it.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post
Like Protector said, this was the best issue of Shadowland.

Plus I imagine you already have the four issues, so get it.
Yeah, I do. But I figured I'd use the money towards another book if the payoff is worthless.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #23
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Just remmember...don't kill the messenger!
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #24
rychehitman
Galactus

ok...filling the tub with bubbles now! Will be reading this shortly!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Meh, overall, including the ending. While Matt's fate is kind of interesting if you read past Shadowland and into the current issue of DD, I felt the finale ended the best it could have given the mediocrity of the overall story which, to me, means the ending wasn't that compelling anyway.

Understanding Matt's thoughts relative to his killing Bullseye and seeing how his decision, aided by Elecrta, in his spiritual world impacted his physical life all tied together nicely. But, still, the whole thing left me kind of flat as opposed to cold.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #26
Primal
Batman

Agreed Mighty Joe. Very disappointed by this storyline including the mediocre ending in which the villain (who was built up for the better part of a year in the DD book) was defeated way too easily.

Also, how can they leave Matt's body alone like that when he was still alive? lol

I got the latest issue of DD as well and can safely say my DD run of many years has come to an end. Included in there are the cool arc by Kevin Smith, the legendary run by Bendis and a great run by Brubaker. Take a bow gents
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #27
rychehitman
Galactus

Well, it’s over.

After a decade of superior storytelling it ends like a 1970’s Hulk episode.

When the event was first announced, and Matt took control of the Hand…my excitement for this was fairly high as I glad to see DD finally take the main stage in a large event.

After everything Matt has been put through, he finally snaps…and who could blame him. The idea of seeing him cross the line willingly was very intriguing to many of us, but then the concept of demonic possession came into play. Many felt that seemed like a cop out, myself included, as it was too convenient to NOT hold Matt accountable for his actions.

I could suspend my belief enough to go along with the thought that Hell’s Kitchen had a ninja temple built in the middle of it, and crooked cops and thugs were being held in custody for their crimes as the Hand ninjas kept the streets of the city clean while the police department took no action. I could forgive the lack of Avenger involvement after the televised murder of Bullseye because maybe Steve felt that the public outcry would be minimal and not reignite their fear of superhuman vigilantes, and he could squash any call for government involvement. Hell, I can even look the other way that Frank Castle busts through the wall looking good as new like Frankencastle was a bad dream.

However I cannot look past the rush ending. I cannot overlook the way that Matt had to confront fears within him that had long been faced time and time again starting in the Born Again story arc. Perhaps the thing that bothers me the most is…well…two things actually…..first, Matt admits to himself that HE killed Bullseye. There was no outside influence that made him do it. He chose to cross the line and THAT is what opened the door to allow him to be possessed. The Matt Murdock I know believed in the law with a passion. He would turn himself over to the authorities because he believes in the legal system. That’s one of the main cornerstones of the character. For him too not face the charges is just ridiculous…if not from the courts, but to Steve Rogers. Matt would not just grow a beard, hop on a bus and leave town. The other thing that really bothers me is that the writers did nothing to give any hint of reasoning behind the fact that T’Challa is now watching over the Kitchen. One could argue that they want people to read the next issue for answers to boost sales of the new direction…but I don’t agree with that. Some form of reasoning should have been touched upon. It’s a huge curve ball that. After all that went down…and Danny moments earlier considering putting the DD suit back on….a guy in a full body costume appears that appears to be the Black panther, but Luke and Danny don’t press the issue. T’Challa should have at least unmasked and given a two sentence explanation to the heroes to take back to Steve.

Just terrible on so many fronts….

BUT!

I like where this leaves the Kingpin, and I enjoyed the Typhoid Mary twist.
I am hopeful that Foggy, Dakota, and the Tarantula get more face time in future story arcs.
Oracle said goodbye to Foggy, so hopefully she is heading back to Gotham.
Black Panther (If that IS T’Challa) fighting the Hand and Kingpin could be cool!

Sadly…I am not left with any desire to continue to follow Matt Murdoch on his journey. He deserves better.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #28
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Agreed Mighty Joe. Very disappointed by this storyline including the mediocre ending in which the villain (who was built up for the better part of a year in the DD book) was defeated way too easily.

Also, how can they leave Matt's body alone like that when he was still alive? lol

I got the latest issue of DD as well and can safely say my DD run of many years has come to an end. Included in there are the cool arc by Kevin Smith, the legendary run by Bendis and a great run by Brubaker. Take a bow gents
Agree on all counts, Omar. As far as they knew, Matt wasn't dead so this was a pretty glaring oversight. And, for this story to follow Bendis and Bru's stellar runs is just such a let down. The other thing that killed Shadowland for me was Tan's art. Luke's body as he lay on the floor in the last issue just looked distended and malformed. Better art wouldn't have helped the story but it added insult to injury.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #29
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
Well, it’s over.

After a decade of superior storytelling it ends like a 1970’s Hulk episode.

When the event was first announced, and Matt took control of the Hand…my excitement for this was fairly high as I glad to see DD finally take the main stage in a large event.

After everything Matt has been put through, he finally snaps…and who could blame him. The idea of seeing him cross the line willingly was very intriguing to many of us, but then the concept of demonic possession came into play. Many felt that seemed like a cop out, myself included, as it was too convenient to NOT hold Matt accountable for his actions.

I could suspend my belief enough to go along with the thought that Hell’s Kitchen had a ninja temple built in the middle of it, and crooked cops and thugs were being held in custody for their crimes as the Hand ninjas kept the streets of the city clean while the police department took no action. I could forgive the lack of Avenger involvement after the televised murder of Bullseye because maybe Steve felt that the public outcry would be minimal and not reignite their fear of superhuman vigilantes, and he could squash any call for government involvement. Hell, I can even look the other way that Frank Castle busts through the wall looking good as new like Frankencastle was a bad dream.

However I cannot look past the rush ending. I cannot overlook the way that Matt had to confront fears within him that had long been faced time and time again starting in the Born Again story arc. Perhaps the thing that bothers me the most is…well…two things actually…..first, Matt admits to himself that HE killed Bullseye. There was no outside influence that made him do it. He chose to cross the line and THAT is what opened the door to allow him to be possessed. The Matt Murdock I know believed in the law with a passion. He would turn himself over to the authorities because he believes in the legal system. That’s one of the main cornerstones of the character. For him too not face the charges is just ridiculous…if not from the courts, but to Steve Rogers. Matt would not just grow a beard, hop on a bus and leave town. The other thing that really bothers me is that the writers did nothing to give any hint of reasoning behind the fact that T’Challa is now watching over the Kitchen. One could argue that they want people to read the next issue for answers to boost sales of the new direction…but I don’t agree with that. Some form of reasoning should have been touched upon. It’s a huge curve ball that. After all that went down…and Danny moments earlier considering putting the DD suit back on….a guy in a full body costume appears that appears to be the Black panther, but Luke and Danny don’t press the issue. T’Challa should have at least unmasked and given a two sentence explanation to the heroes to take back to Steve.

Just terrible on so many fronts….

BUT!

I like where this leaves the Kingpin, and I enjoyed the Typhoid Mary twist.
I am hopeful that Foggy, Dakota, and the Tarantula get more face time in future story arcs.
Black Panther (If that IS T’Challa) fighting the Hand and Kingpin could be cool!

Sadly…I am not left with any desire to continue to follow Matt Murdoch on his journey. He deserves better.

Sounds very disappointing. Nowhere near enough to get me to come back to the title. Thanks for the review...
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #30
Primal
Batman

Quote:

I had high hopes for Diggle's vision but halfway through his run I kinda knew it wasnt going as well as I'd hoped.

Quote:
Perhaps the thing that bothers me the most is…well…two things actually…..first, Matt admits to himself that HE killed Bullseye. There was no outside influence that made him do it. He chose to cross the line and THAT is what opened the door to allow him to be possessed. The Matt Murdock I know believed in the law with a passion. He would turn himself over to the authorities because he believes in the legal system. That’s one of the main cornerstones of the character. For him too not face the charges is just ridiculous…if not from the courts, but to Steve Rogers. Matt would not just grow a beard, hop on a bus and leave town.
I was also disappointed to read that Matt had willingly killed Bullseye but not disappointed that he stayed dead. Quite surprised by that twist as I was expecting him to be resurrected by the Hand as they usually do when someone major is killed.

Quote:
The other thing that really bothers me is that the writers did nothing to give any hint of reasoning behind the fact that T’Challa is now watching over the Kitchen. One could argue that they want people to read the next issue for answers to boost sales of the new direction…but I don’t agree with that. Some form of reasoning should have been touched upon. It’s a huge curve ball that. After all that went down…and Danny moments earlier considering putting the DD suit back on….a guy in a full body costume appears that appears to be the Black panther, but Luke and Danny don’t press the issue. T’Challa should have at least unmasked and given a two sentence explanation to the heroes to take back to Steve.
Yeah I was left thinking why he cared enough about Hell's Kitchen to take over.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Agree on all counts, Omar. As far as they knew, Matt wasn't dead so this was a pretty glaring oversight. And, for this story to follow Bendis and Bru's stellar runs is just such a let down. The other thing that killed Shadowland for me was Tan's art. Luke's body as he lay on the floor in the last issue just looked distended and malformed. Better art wouldn't have helped the story but it added insult to injury.
Better art might've helped a bit but not by much imo. I was also hoping to see more of the Hand Beast after the months of buildup!
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote