Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
If anyone asks why Spectre is one of my favorite characters, I'd just point them to this trade containing stories from the 70's.

Being a huge horror fan, I love these stories by Fleisher and drawn by Jim Aparo.

I think babytoxie's review in amazon says it best:
Wow, thanks Mike! Yeah, those stories are great. Have you ever read the Ostrander/Mandrake series from the '90s? It's the best not-Vertigo-but-should-be product DC has ever put out, IMO. Other recs:

The "six-armed Spidey" story from ASM #101-102. Spider-Man vs. the Lizard vs. Morbius... my favorite Spider-Man story of all time.

Micronauts #1-12. I always pull this one out in discussions like this. I don't understand why Marvel refuses to get the rights back in order to reprint all their Micronauts work. This was an exceptional series, and the first 12 issues by Mantlo and Golden make an impressive arc that I put on par with Star Wars. If you enjoy cosmic Marvel, you need to check this series out.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Wow, thanks Mike! Yeah, those stories are great. Have you ever read the Ostrander/Mandrake series from the '90s? It's the best not-Vertigo-but-should-be product DC has ever put out, IMO.
need to get on that one
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
whd
Suicide Squad

Mark Waid's 'Return of Barry Allen' story arc blew me away when it came out. It was a decade or so earlier than the actual return of Barry Allen during Final Crisis. I still think Waid's run on Flash was a high point for the title, although Johns did a lot of ground breaking stuff further down the line.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #14
JLM
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Ann Nocenti's Daredevil run. What seriously got me into Marvel comics in the first place.
JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
67wm
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Wow, thanks Mike! Yeah, those stories are great. Have you ever read the Ostrander/Mandrake series from the '90s? It's the best not-Vertigo-but-should-be product DC has ever put out, IMO. Other recs:

The "six-armed Spidey" story from ASM #101-102. Spider-Man vs. the Lizard vs. Morbius... my favorite Spider-Man story of all time.

Micronauts #1-12. I always pull this one out in discussions like this. I don't understand why Marvel refuses to get the rights back in order to reprint all their Micronauts work. This was an exceptional series, and the first 12 issues by Mantlo and Golden make an impressive arc that I put on par with Star Wars. If you enjoy cosmic Marvel, you need to check this series out.
Ostarnder/Mandrake Spectre is a must read Mikey! that was a great series!! their take on Martian Manhunter wasn't bad either, not up to the Spectre level tho
67wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd View Post
Mark Waid's 'Return of Barry Allen' story arc blew me away when it came out. It was a decade or so earlier than the actual return of Barry Allen during Final Crisis. I still think Waid's run on Flash was a high point for the title, although Johns did a lot of ground breaking stuff further down the line.
Speaking of Waid, his run on Captain America was outstanding. My favorite of the trades are "Operation Rebirth" followed, I believe, by "Man Without A Country."

And Waid's run on FF with 'Ringo is the best since Lee/Kirby and then Byrne. All are captured in tpb's or HC.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
protector2814
Phoenix

Joe Kubert's, 1970's Tarzan run for DC may be in my top 2 or 3 runs in all of comics. Dark Horse has recently gathered the collection in 3 hdbk trades & I can't recommend a comic run any higher. Tarzan of the Apes, which runs in VI is very true to Burrough's masterpiece. No one. (yes I'm including Hogarth) has drawn the ape man so perfect to his conditions. Dissying vine-to-vine 1000 foot leaps, sinew bulging wrap around wrestles w/ great apes, neck-twisting lioness battles, the 1st meeting w/ Prof. & Jane Porter, Tarzan's time in Paris and Arabia...it's all covered. These are feasts for the comic fan's soul and I'm pointing out the Tarzan origin story now collected in trade.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
Mad4Busts
Husband-Father-Collector

The Avengers 242-255. There were 3 fantastic storylines back-to-back-to-back. The running story on Vision was absolutely some of the best stuff about Vision ever. It made me a huge fan of the character.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avengers Run.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	59417  
Mad4Busts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #19
bat_collector
Galactus

Cosmic Odyssey
Writer: Jim Starlin
Artist: Mike Mignola

Some of the best new god material you'll read not written by Jack Kirby. Excellent use of the Fourth World. Highlights include Batman vs a Parademon, a decision John Stewart makes that haunts him to this day, and Darkseid working with High Father and Superman. And Etrigan the Demon shows up to boot!

Oh, and thanks again to babytoxie for pointing this up to me.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:33 AM   #20
kujwa
Justice League

i thought of some more suggestions

buddha from tezuka. it's manga but i can't say enough good things bout it. the story of the elephant in volume 5 or 6 moved me to almost tears.

bone. i bought the perfect collection back in 2004 and it blew me away. i literally had to force myself to put it down.

the new xforce is damn good as well. i bought the hc that collects the first 11-12 issues. it was the first mutant book that i've read in years and i really enjoyed it. only thing i didn't like about it is how tall or scrawny the artist made characters. i remember wolverine being 5'5ish and why is cyclops walking around his house in full costume? give the boy a metrx bar and put some meat on him, he looks like he's the size of a middle schooler. other than that i dug the series
kujwa is offline   Reply With Quote