Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #51
rychehitman
Galactus

Well, the masses have spoken!

Thank you all for the feedback on the earlier Thor post! If my PM box gets filled again, please feel free to post your comments and thoughts in this thread!

To directly reply to your requests I chose the Silver Surfer for forum member Jskee.

When I think of a hidden gem regarding the Silver Surfer I immediately thought of this story....

Silver Surfer #70-75: The Herald Ordeal

Writer: Ron Marz Artist: M.C. Wyman, Tom Christopher, and Ron Lim
Covers by: Ron Lim and Terry Austin

Ron Lim’s art is AWESOME in these pages…not just his talented pencil work…but the payouts and perspectives are really something to behold!

This 6 issue story arc is one of THE BEST cosmic tales ever told! The characterization of all involved is masterfully written by Ron Marz! The portrayal of Terrax takes his character to a whole new level! This story has it all! Love, friendship, betrayal, sacrifice, battle axes, and the power cosmic…these issues have it all!

Issue #70 entitled “Initiation!” opens with Galactus’ latest herald finally coming to grips with her feelings regarding her role and turning on the Devourer of Worlds! Obviously displeased Galactus’ deals with her disobedience and sets his sight to find a more worthy herald that can suit his needs.

As the next issue opens (#71 “Combustion!”) we are introduced to Morg the Executioner. Galactus chooses to this time select a truly evil being who relishes in slaughter and destruction to minimize the likelihood of betrayal. Former heralds Firelord and the Surfer try to intervene, only to be soundly defeated by the now cosmically infused Morg!

The Silver Surfer and Firelord realize that they could use Nova in their attempt to put a stop to Morgs destruction. In issue #72 “Liberation”, the ex-heralds join forces in an effort to add another ex-herald to their numbers, but they must first find her before thinking of confronting Galactus and his new herald.

Now being a group of three (issue #73 “Resurrection!”), Firelord turns the trio towards a long lost friend who could aid them in locating Galactus. However this particular friend happens to be dead, and once reawakened…..attacks! As resistance builds against him, Morg seeks even more power…power enough to turn defeat Galactus himself!
The path to Galactus leads the cosmic foursome past a familiar section of space for the Surfer.

Seeing the wisdom in further marshaling their forces in issue #74 (“Negotiation!) The Silver Surfer seeks the aid of former herald and deadly enemy…one that the Surfer exiled to an uninhabited planet…Terrax the Tamer. Can the axe of Terrax be trusted as an ally against the now mystically enhanced Morg the Executioner?

The final confrontation is upon us in the 75th anniversary issue entitled “Destruction!” It is a battle of epic proportions as the union of former heralds confronts the devastatingly powerful Morg in a battle not everyone will survive!

SHOCKINGLY this 192 page masterpiece has never been collected in tpb form! As before, be sure to look at the discount bins at local shops or cons for these gems as they CAN be found there! These issues can be found in great reading shape for a steal! Even if you drop $3.99 on each issue, these 6 issues are SO MUCH better than most storylines going today! With the death of the current MARVEL cosmic line…try spending your money on these back issues to get your cosmic fix! You won’t be sorry!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #52
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Still, to me, the single greatest Thor storyline is the classic Lee/Kirby "Thunder in the Netherworld" story which contains Thor and Hercules' second meeting and battle, from Thor vol. 1 #125 - 130. It's captured in Thor Masterworks #4 which I'd previously reviewed by represent below:

Thor Marvel Masterworks Volume 4
Collecting: Journey Into Mystery #121-5, The Mighty Thor #s 126-130
Written by: Stan Lee
Drawn by: Jack Kirby
Why? Guys, it doesn’t get any better than this!

In the earliest years of Thor’s comics, you got the impression that Stan and Jack couldn’t really focus on our favorite thunder god. In fact, for quite a long time these two legendary creators weren’t even on goldilocks’ title, with the creative chores’ being passed off to Larry Leiber, Joe Sinnott and others. The stories, as a result, were fairly spotty and inconsistent in quality. All that started to change around the time of Thor Masterworks Volume 2 when Stan and Jack took the reigns back. However, despite some involvement with the hosts and hoards of Asgard, throughout Thor Masterworks volumes 2 and 3 Stan and Jack still relegated Thor mostly to Earth-bound superhero status, the notable exception to which being the glorious “Tales of Asgard” supplemental series that used to ride in the back of Journey Into Mystery. All that changes with this volume of 1966 reprints. Here Stan and Jack put the mythological cosmic spanning wonder, glory and action squarely in this comic. While this Masterwork volume opens with an knock-down battle with the Absorbing Man right in the hallowed halls of Asgard, Journey Into Mystery #125 takes Thor’s readers on an explosive whirlwind six issue story that must rank as one of the singe greatest continuing Thor adventure epics ever created. It’s due to this titanic tale that this Thor Masterworks volume is the one I’ve most wanted to hold in my hot little hands. Thank you, Marvel, for finally publishing it!

Check this out! Journey Into Mystery #125’s “When Meet The Immortals!” depicts Odin, Thor’s enraged father, commanding the forces of Asgard to attack his son for revealing his identity of Dr. Blake to the mortal Jane Foster. Hercules whom Thor first and last met in his Thor Annual #1, in the mean time, has made his way to New York and, having foiled a robbery by hurling lamp post through the getaway car, is seeking to woo the very same Jane. Having overcome all of Asgard’s forces in Odin’s furiously violent Ritual of Steel to reunite with Jane, Thor is incredulous that Hercules is rebutting him in defense of Jane who was hurt by Thor’s absence. The ensuing battle, in “Whom The Gods Would Destroy!” pits Thor vs. Hercules in an all-out no-holds-barred slugfest throughout Manhattan. Victory is stolen from Thor by his angered father who, out of his love for his son cannot punish him directly but, in a display of colossally poor judgment, gives the Odinpower to a courtier called Seidring the Merciless to strip Thor of half his strength. Of course, armed with the Odinpower, Seidring then turns on Odin and takes control of Asgard (there’s a reason he’s called “the Merciless”). With Thor’s strength halved, Hercules wipes the ground with him. Humiliated, dejected and utterly defeated, no longer certain he deserves the mantle of Thunder God, Thor leaves an anguished Jane Foster to face his father’s judgment. What ensues, in “The Hammer and the Holocaust!” is an already battered but desperate Thor’s impossible victory over the Odin-powerful Seidring, a victory that nearly kills Thor but restores the power to Odin who, then, regains the throne. At the end of this issue, in a wonderful scene, a remorseful Odin carries the limp body of his beloved son away. In “The Power of Pluto,” as Thor recovers, Hercules is duped into signing a contract to replace Pluto as Lord of the Netherworld. A revived and empowered Thor, looking for round two with Hercules, comes to his aide instead against the hordes of Hades, surprising Hercules with his renewed prodigious strength. But, “In The Verdict of Zeus!” Hercules pleads for mercy from his father and seeks the help of his Olympian brethren from his plight. Due to his centuries of arrogance, however, no one on Mt. Olympus is willing to lift a finger for the son of Zeus. A monumental coincidence (thanks, Stan!) sends Thor into limbo for the Day of the Three Worlds where Thor is commanded to stake all on behalf of another. Who needs him the most? Yup, Thor’s former foe, Hercules. Thor must battle for Hercules’ freedom and, if he loses, will be doomed to rule Hades in Hercules’ stead.

This story wraps up in “Thunder in the Netherworld!” in which Thor, after having previously been beaten, humiliated, stripped of his power, and nearly killed during the prior five issues, finally gets to cut lose at full strength. And, man, does he ever! Single-handedly and with his full power at his command, Thor takes on the entire populace of Pluto’s realm in defense of Hercules who, in an ironic turnaround, has now been stripped of his power by Zeus. Thor’s battle is cataclysmic and pure Kirby goodness, as are all the previous chapters. Victory is total and glorious for Thor, defeat comes at a great price for Pluto after Thor’s rampage, and Hercules vows Thor his lifelong friendship. What else can I say? Stan and Jack are at the absolute height of their powers with this story (despite Vince Colletta’s hack-job inks). Stan really cuts lose with dialogue like, “Anger??! By the bristling beard of Odin, thou knowest not the meaning of the word! Not all the fury in the heavens - - not all the savagery on Earth - - can equal the senses-shattering cyclone of rage with is Thor, when seized by a pounding paroxysm of wrath!” It’s corny but pure Stan! And how does Thor get all that dialogue in while delivering just a single blow to Herc’s jaw? Dunno, but it’s golden! This epic spans from New York to Asgard, back to New York, then to Olympus and, finally, to Hades. It deals with love, anger, loyalty, friendship and all-out pulse pounding battles. It beautifully combines the best of mythology, science fiction and pure superhero elements. Fantastic Four and Captain America may be the more famous Lee/Kirby collaborations but none of them surpass, and few even match, this epic for sheer Silver Age Marvel magic!

Aye, verily, 'Nuff Said!!

Last edited by wktf; 12-13-2010 at 10:21 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #53
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67wm View Post
couple more i thought of -

been a while since i have read these (probably when they were released) but remember liking the first one a lot at the time.

a 'what if' story that tells what might have happened if the Clarks ran over a nail, got a flat tire and weren't near the field where a rocket landed. i think the second is a contiuation on the theme - both are offered in trades.

Rocket - yes i know it's Davis art but you should at least try the first one, and you know i am not above getting a trade for you, despite the artist :tounge:
I really need to read The Nail!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #54
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

I'd add Beasts of Burden ( HC = Animal Rites ) from Darkhorse by Evan Dorkin and Jill thompson.
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #55
kujwa
Justice League

the boys it's vulger and crazy but a fun read.

incredible hercules. i recently picked up the two hc with 11 issues in one hc and i was really suprised at how great it is. amedeus cho is one of the most interesting and fun characters to read. it's got a perfect balance of humor, action and drama.

judge dredd vs aliens, it is one of the best team ups ever and felt natural.

apocalypse vs dracula. i found the tpb for cheap and it was a fun read.
kujwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #56
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
I really need to read The Nail!
The Nail's excellent.

I bought the sequel too, but the original is fantastic; the sequel? Not as much.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote