Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #11
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
The point of collecting CGC'd comics is, unless you are standing in front of the seller, you have no idea what you're going to end up with.

CGC allows me to buy comics I want online, and pretty much guarantee I'm going to be satisfied with the condition.
Yeah, I would use them for that. Just confirming the grade on a rare issue (1960s or 1970s comics). But for newer stuff I don't see the point. As newer CGC comics are usually priced with the cost of grading. So, you get comics that aren't rare at all priced too high.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #12
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I did for a time, but it's very expensive....

I own the highest graded double signed CGC copy of Y:The Last Man issue 1 in the world...
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:46 AM   #13
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerFly View Post
The point of collecting CGC'd comics is, unless you are standing in front of the seller, you have no idea what you're going to end up with.

CGC allows me to buy comics I want online, and pretty much guarantee I'm going to be satisfied with the condition.
I once bout an almost complete series of Warlock and The Infinity watch they were describes as NM an they were NM.

Another time I bought the entire pitt series and they were described as NM and they were not #18 appeared to have been stored in his buttcrack and #19 had a coner tared off from the cover. I have a new #18 now, I'm still after a NM #19.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 AM   #14
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Isn't there a seal on the CGC case that can only be closed by a CGC person? I would assume that would prevent getting a comic that was listed as NM in a lower condition.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
At the time i was sending them in (like 5-6 years ago), the more you sent in the cheaper it was. So 1 book was like $15 or so, but sending in like the max at a time 25 books was like $8-9 a book.

I'd love for someone to confirm this as I believe prices are a lot higher today and there might not be any deals for sending larger amounts of books. Has anyone here hired them recently?

I have boxes of near complete silver age runs of many Marvel titles I'd love to grade and sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
I think now they raised the prices. But different eras of books were priced differently, golden age was expensive. But i think if you owned a certain book that was like first app of superman or spiderman they will allow you to bring the book to the CGC place, stand next to them and watch them handle it and grade it. Cause thats something ya dont send thru the mail.

I once asked what it would cost to grade my Spidey #1. If memory serves, I was told it would have to go through a "run through" meaning that it had to be graded by several people. The value of the book also played a role. In essence, it might cost hundreds of dollars ro grade it. Has anyone here ever graded a book worth over 10k, for example?

I never quite agreed with charging more if the book was worth more. Charge for the time it takes to grade it, that's it. It's like they're entitling themselves to a percentage of a sale which isn't even taking place. Why charge more for a light bulb just because it will be used in a more expensive home?
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #16
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Do you have a Strange tales #110?
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalJordanFan View Post
Do you have a Strange tales #110?

I'm not looking to sell my books, only to grade them for now.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking of my options. While I have key books like Fantasy 15 and Spidey 1 (which I would like to keep for as long as I can), I also have near complete silver age runs of the Avengers, FF, Journey into mystery Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, and Sub-Mariner, and so on, many of which are really high grade. My mind is quickly doing the numbers and I'd be insane not to take advantage of the market.

Surely there are others here with a very similar collection.
Have any of you gone whole hog with CGC?

P.S. I am a huge Dr. Strange fan!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:34 AM   #18
twoferflinchin
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I collect CGC covers of my favorite characters to display with their Bowen statues. I'm currently buying Stan Lee signed covers to go with his bust.
twoferflinchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #19
Monty Props
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoferflinchin View Post
I collect CGC covers of my favorite characters to display with their Bowen statues. I'm currently buying Stan Lee signed covers to go with his bust.
I also collect some of my favorite characters or just favorite covers in general, even if the issue wasn't especially well-known or earth-shattering. I have been looking high and low for a CGC 9.8 of Thor 601. I just really love the cover but haven't come across it yet.
Monty Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
HalJordanFan
Ultimates

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I'm not looking to sell my books, only to grade them for now.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking of my options. While I have key books like Fantasy 15 and Spidey 1 (which I would like to keep for as long as I can), I also have near complete silver age runs of the Avengers, FF, Journey into mystery Thor, Hulk, Spiderman, and Sub-Mariner, and so on, many of which are really high grade. My mind is quickly doing the numbers and I'd be insane not to take advantage of the market.

Surely there are others here with a very similar collection.
Have any of you gone whole hog with CGC?

P.S. I am a huge Dr. Strange fan!

How high grade are the Fantasy #15, Spidey #1, Hulk #1 and Journey into Mystery #83 (If you have it).
HalJordanFan is offline   Reply With Quote