Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Babytoxie
Ghost

DC wraps up Red Circle - but why did they even bother?

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/red-...rs-101215.html

No surprises here, really. The article got me thinking about how often this kind of thing happens at DC...

1. DC acquires rights/ownership of classic fan-favorite characters drifting in limbo.
2. DC lets us know just how important those characters are to comic history, activates hooplah-generator, taps big names to spearhead their revival.
3. Over the next couple of years, DC does practically nothing with the characters; readers' attention shifts to other things.
4. Characters revert to license holders, and/or they return to limbo.

They've done it with Fawcett (Captain Marvel, Ibis, Bulletman, and others), IPC (Albion, Thunderbolt Jaxxon, Battler Briton), Charlton (aside from the Question & Blue Beetle, and no, Watchmen doesn't count), Milestone, the THUNDER Agents (archives-only over the last decade, 2000 series axed, and I'm not expecting much from this recent series), etc....

While I know that the Red Circle characters aren't at the top of many folks' lists of favorites, I like them. Back in the early '80s, I read quite a few of their comics, so I'd love to see some reprints going all the way back to the Golden Age. Perhaps that would have helped folks get into them, rather than shoving updated versions down our throats right out of the gate... show us why these characters are so important, rather than jettisoning everything about them and starting over. What's crazy is, DC already tackled these characters in the '90s with their !mpact Comics imprint, and it didn't stick then, either.

In the article, the creators sound completely oblivious as to why the books failed, even flippant, like it was all part of the plan. It makes them look stupid. In retrospect, the fact that JMS was initially involved is a big red flag.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

Reinforces my feelings that the lion's share of those involved in the industry, especially on the creative side, are just like most of today's youngish consumers and suppliers - "clueless of the past".

Comic book professionals seem so interested in carving out huge names for themselves with bold moves, that they tinkle on or plain old overstep anything character and storywise before them.

I see it in all pop-creative markets; in remakes (my kids, including my soon to be film-school teenager are stunned when I mention that so many of today's films are remakes. They've never seen the originals nor would have the patience to do so with the slower/classic pacing), borrowed song riffs, borrowed personas (Gaga=Madonna)showmanship, shock, story-lines, fiction, film...you name it. Creative has either forgottten the past or just recalls/borrows it when writing or creating their "epics".

I'm sure these Red Circle characters sat around in legal folders on Dan Didio's desk gathering coffee rings 'cause ultimately no editor or writer knew or remembered what to do with them. Shame, 'cause like you BT, I collected the 80's Red Circle stuff myself. Sometimes, it's for the best though...remember what Azzarello did to Doc Savage?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Babytoxie
Ghost

True... true... I knew I could count on you for support, Protector!

Check out this site. It's a bit haywire in terms of organization, but it's fun.

http://www.mightycrusaders.net/
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote