Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #2941
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
They should have made you the writer.

This show better not win any awards.
The sets, costumes, and effects are the best in television. Those technical folks worked really hard and deserve credit.

If it wins anything for writing it is beyond a farce.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #2942
Mister H
Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
The sets, costumes, and effects are the best in television. Those technical folks worked really hard and deserve credit.

That's a good point. The dragons were amazing to see, they did zombies better than The Walking Dead (IMO) and the costumes and sets were crazy good. It's a more than a little troubling though that these writers are working on Star Wars now and it will be the stuff that they come up with, not something they have to adapt from a book.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:32 PM   #2943
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:

Sorry, meant for the writing.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #2944
gearhead
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
That's a good point. The dragons were amazing to see, they did zombies better than The Walking Dead (IMO) and the costumes and sets were crazy good. It's a more than a little troubling though that these writers are working on Star Wars now and it will be the stuff that they come up with, not something they have to adapt from a book.
And there lies the root of the problem. They're over GoT and it shows. They're tired of being cold and trying to get horses to cooperate and want to move on. Seems like they lost interest during S7 and totally mailed it in for S8. I remember hearing a year and a half ago that S8 was only going to be 6 episodes because that's all the material they had left and thinking that was bullsh*t. Turns out it was bullsh*t. If they weren't in such a hurry for it to be over we could have easily had a full 10 ep S7, S8 and a S9. The story would have been able to breathe and been a lot better. Likely still not perfect, but way better. Granted they don't owe us anything, but when you create something like this that takes on such a huge roll in pop culture I feel like you have at least a responsibility to see it through and do the best job you can. Maybe they weren't expecting a ten year commitment when they signed on but that's what they got, so they should have stuck it out and finished on top. Instead, now they'll be remembered as the guys who couldn't stick the landing.

Rant aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the show and I'm glad to have watched it. Overall it's still one of the best shows ever on TV.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #2945
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

Season 8 should have been better than it was. I don't think even the people who enjoyed it can argue that.

However, Game of Thrones is one of the most popular and both critically and financially successful television shows of all time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ame_of_Thrones

Was it ever revealed why the decision was made to end the series this season?
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #2946
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post

Was it ever revealed why the decision was made to end the series this season?
because D&D want out, don't really blame them as it must suck shooting in some of the spots they do. but instead of handing the series off they just buried it with rushed writing.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #2947
Davidian
Omega Flight

Man, what a serious disappointment this season was. This went from being my favorite show on TV to a total WTF just happened? My wife wasn't as invested in the show as I was and thought this season was completely rushed and stupid. Lots of build up, secrets revealed, and for what?

Glad Jon took out Dany, but like others had mentioned, how did Greyworm, etc know that he did it when Drogon flew off with her body? I know Jon didn't want the throne, but what was the point in making sure people knew his true identity? What will happen with the Dothraki and Unsullied? I know the Unsullied were leaving for Naath, but for what? Brienne writing in the book felt very LOTR to me - also who closes a book they just wrote in without letting the ink dry? Since Drogon flew away, where did he go? Jon petting Ghost made me happy, poor doggy. So is Jon the king of the Wildlings then?

I just can't get past how they took seasons of build up and just completely ruined it in 1-2 episodes, when they could have developed it in multiple episodes, if not a season or 2. As some have mentioned, the producers seemed burned out, and I can respect that, but WTF man? I know they don't owe us anything, but this was truly disheartening.

With that said, it wasn't TERRIBLE, just disappointing. I own the other seasons on bluray and will probably only get this last season when it's stupid cheap as I'm a completist with shows that I like.
Davidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:38 PM   #2948
ParisDean
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidian View Post
Glad Jon took out Dany, but like others had mentioned, how did Greyworm, etc know that he did it when Drogon flew off with her body?
Jon Snow being the honest fool that he is, I bet confessed to everyone immediately. He was admonished already for being too truthful last season.
ParisDean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #2949
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Jon Snow being the honest fool that he is, I bet confessed to everyone immediately. He was admonished already for being too truthful last season.
Jon: "I killed the Queen."

Greyworm: "I loved my queen who saved me from bondage and you and I have developed animosity between us. I've also shown myself to kill those who I dislike with ease."

Jon: "..."

Greyworm: "Therefore it makes sense to keep to laws and order. You are to be incarcerated and call the High Lords of this land which include your family to decide what to do with you and will likely lead to you not being executed."

Jon: "Well, okay then."
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #2950
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:
Jon: "I killed the Queen."

Greyworm: "I loved my queen who saved me from bondage and you and I have developed animosity between us. I've also shown myself to kill those who I dislike with ease."

Jon: "..."

Greyworm: "Therefore it makes sense to keep to laws and order. You are to be incarcerated and call the High Lords of this land which include your family to decide what to do with you and will likely lead to you not being executed."

Jon: "Well, okay then."
That is what the writers are telling us basically happened AND IT MAKES NO SENSE (and I know you think the same).

In my opinion, I would have loved for Grey Worm and 10-12 men to walk in after Jon killed Dany. They would steadily move towards him to kill him but then Drogon swoops down in between them (since Jon is now the last Targaryan) and protects him. Jon gets on Drogon's back and flies off. While it isn't perfect (since Drogon was obviously more bonded to Dany), it would have played better than what they did IMO.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote