Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
protector2814
Phoenix

My 17 year old baby girl has been dating for a while now. The same fellow for a little over a year. He knows where I stand as we had the "talk" as soon as I met him. I like hime very much but he's a little scared of me which is what he should feel. When they're down watching a movie or playing on the PS3 or some game, I make sure to walk down to my workroom for a hammer or nail once every 20 minutes or so. I also send my 2 youngest down to bug them often. I cook dinners and make sure to have them both at the table when the family eats if he's over. I want him to feel vested in my Daughter's life. I also had his parents over for a meal and our Xmas party so the two of them see us parents as a united front.
The kid's doing more and more w/ my family, even joining us for my Mom's big B-day last week. They're both going off to college next year so I suspect that the relationship will fade as they both get involved in school. We'll see. My rules under my roof but you don't want to send them screaming to someplace where you have no controll so be careful.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #12
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I'm grateful I have three sons and no daughters for this very reason, as much as I've always wished for a daughter.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
. When they're down watching a movie or playing on the PS3 or some game, I make sure to walk down to my workroom for a hammer or nail once every 20 minutes or so. I also send my 2 youngest down to bug them often.
yep, good plan, I do the same thing. My 9 yr old is more than happy to go spy on her sister.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
dablkpnther
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
-No true dating until they are 16
-okay for going with a boy with a group of friends somewhere at 14
-No true dating a boy until he has had dinner with me
-no boys in their room
-checking for fingerprints after dates
I like how you think joefixit2. I'm going to get the missus to look into this at her job. lol.

Seriously, I got 3 girls (ages 6, 7 and 12) to worry about in my house. My oldest will be turning 13 next month so I'm fretting about this stage in her life now.
dablkpnther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
dablkpnther
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post
My daughter turns 12 next month. I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle the whole "dating thing" a few years from now.

If I suddenly disappear from the forum in a few years, it will probably be because I'm in jail.
You'll become a modern day folk hero for all us dads in here with daughters if you do. lol.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
Jesse321
Galactus

My "baby" is now 22, she will be 23 this year ... the one thing I will tell you that worked for me is, she will make mistakes, all kids do, just let her know that you love her, and that you will always be there for her.

I'm also of the opinion that kids don't get in trouble for "knowing too much these days", I think it's more accurate to say that "kids don't know enough from the right sources" ... my kid didn't learn about dating and sex from watching Melrose Place, she learned it from me and her Mom.

Also, that whole "walking down the aisle in a white dress" thing ... yeah, while that's the IDEAL, I just don't think that it's a realistic expectation. So I set that aside REAL quick, and decided it was more important that my daughter be informed and healthy, so I've pounded the importance of safe sex in her head at every opportunity ... so much so that when we were watching "Grey's Anatomy" a couple of years ago and there was a VD outbreak (gonorrhea if memory serves) in the hospital, she turned to me and said "this is total BS, these guys are supposed to be doctors, and THEY not practicing safe sex."

I know it sounds crazy, but that was one of my prouder moments as a Dad.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #17
dablkpnther
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse321 View Post
My "baby" is now 22, she will be 23 this year ... the one thing I will tell you that worked for me is, she will make mistakes, all kids do, just let her know that you love her, and that you will always be there for her.

I'm also of the opinion that kids don't get in trouble for "knowing too much these days", I think it's more accurate to say that "kids don't know enough from the right sources" ... my kid didn't learn about dating and sex from watching Melrose Place, she learned it from me and her Mom.

Also, that whole "walking down the aisle in a white dress" thing ... yeah, while that's the IDEAL, I just don't think that it's a realistic expectation. So I set that aside REAL quick, and decided it was more important that my daughter be informed and healthy, so I've pounded the importance of safe sex in her head at every opportunity ... so much so that when we were watching "Grey's Anatomy" a couple of years ago and there was a VD outbreak (gonorrhea if memory serves) in the hospital, she turned to me and said "this is total BS, these guys are supposed to be doctors, and THEY not practicing safe sex."

I know it sounds crazy, but that was one of my prouder moments as a Dad.
Spoken like a man with all the experience in the world. I applaud you Jesse321 for being so levelheaded, patient, understanding and tolerant since you're walking down that path. On the lighter side, how many grey hairs do you have now or had to cover up when it came to the dating thing with your daughter. lol.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #18
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

You have so many years till this happens, who knows what society will be like then. Also how will you feel if she is gay?
tedmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #19
Jesse321
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dablkpnther View Post
Spoken like a man with all the experience in the world. I applaud you Jesse321 for being so levelheaded, patient, understanding and tolerant since you're walking down that path. On the lighter side, how many grey hairs do you have now or had to cover up when it came to the dating thing with your daughter. lol.
I got PLENTY of grays, hell my whole head is almost white, but I'm glad to say that very few of them came as a result of anything that she's ever done.

Michelle (my baby), me, and Patty (Michelle's mom)

And those grays, they're badges of honor buddy! Fought on many a battlefield of life, I'm proud of each and every one, they were and continue to be hard fought and well earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmic View Post
You have so many years till this happens, who knows what society will be like then. Also how will you feel if she is gay?
Why should it make a difference? Will it change who she is, and/or what she means to you?

And for the record, my daughter (just like her father) is gay. When she told me, my reaction was (and I quote) ... "Okay, so what do you want for lunch?"

My daughter is my daughter, nothing will ever change that, my love for her is absolutely 100% unconditional. Now would I be happy if she was a thief or a murderer, obviously not, I would SORELY disappointed, but nothing would change my love for her, especially not her sexual orientation.
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #20
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Took me 5 tries to get a daughter, so she is only 4.

By the time she is old enough to date I should be safely in my grave or at least senile so I guess I'm counting on her 4 older brothers to look out for her.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote