Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
dechirico7
The Flash

Sandable auto primer here.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #12
cdiddy408
Frackin!

i have tried both the duplicolor primer that vince veil recommended and the $1 bottle from walmart and the duplicolor is soooo awesome. the walmart is decent but it's really a spraypaint than a primer. it's just good to cover unwanted paint, but does not give any real 'tooth' to paint.

the duplicolor is really nice and is consistent to the mr. primer surfacer that i like. thanks so much for your recommendation vince-veil!
cdiddy408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
Darth Pain
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I use Krylon white for normal jobs.
Tamiya fine light grey for high detail and small stuff. Duplicolor sandable auto primer only when I need to cover up defects and scratches.
Darth Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
Caveman
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Good thread and good feedbacks.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #15
thx217
Ultimates

Tamiya, Gunze and Krylon here.
thx217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
skorpsta
Ghost

plastikote..sprays nice and smooth very lil sanding..very lil..you canfind them at auto parts store i use grey or white
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:36 AM   #17
fflamingmoe
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

GAMESWORKSHOP Primer.
fflamingmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #18
jb518
The Herculoids

I've got a few quick questions regarding primer, that I hope people can chime in on. I have two pieces that I'm going to start working on and I just got my first airbrush.

One is the Batman Strikes Again piece where Catgirl was on Batman's shoulder. I've snapped her off and filled the holes. Now, I just need to prime the cape and paint it black, right?

I've looked for primers for airbrushes and they seem hard to find. I've checked all the craft shops, i.e. - Michaels, AC Moore, etc without success. I also stopped by a local hobby shop and saw they has Mr. Surfacer 500, but the guy behind the counter said that wasn't a primer.

I was going to use Vince Veil's advice and go with the Duplicolor Primer (not sure where to pick this up). Should I use it direct from the can or should I try to decant it into the airbrush? I looked online and saw how to do this. Is it necessary? If the results would be better, I'm all for it. Would standard airbrush cleaning solution work to clean up afterwards?

And after I finish the Batman statue, my next kit is a Metroid Samus kit from Japan I picked up from E-bay - here is what it looks like - http://mechashock.com/videogames/dim...n-color-resin/. Once again, here are the steps I think I need to follow:

1. Prime with Duplicolor (w/ airbrush if necessary)
2. Sand for smooth surface
3. Airbrush Alcad for silver metal look
4. Airbrush clear colors over top of the silver for a metallic looking surface.
5. Clear coat - I've heard Future floor polish is really good.

Did I miss any steps? Between each coat of paint, I need to let it completely dry... 8-12 hours, right?

I spent a bit on the Metroid kit, so I'd like to not screw it up . Luckily it's all solid colors, it's just a matter of doing it right. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
jb518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Can find duplicolor at most car part stores, IE Strauss Auto, Autozone, Pep Boys etc...

I never prime thru my airbrush, always from the spray can and then sand up. When its smooth i may do a final coat of primer then paint.

With small areas like the batman statue, you could just sand down the area you snapped off and just paint over it. I did this exact statue while back for someone too. I just snapped off the catgirl filled up the areas with aves, sanded it down and just used a tamiya flat black paint to paint over it.

You dont always need to prime a statue or area if its small and you know the paint will stick. More or less a garage kit or a stripped down pre paint statue you need to repaint, fine errors and then paint up.

As for alclad thats a whole other mess.

Read up here for alclad and how to use it.

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=117083
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #20
jb518
The Herculoids

Thanks for all the info.

The Alclad post was very helpful. I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go. I don't want Samus to look chromed, but instead a metallic yellow, orange & red.

Have you had any experience with the Createx line of paints (http://www.createxcolors.com/product...ors/main.html), this is what I can find easily in my area. I'm not sure if their Transparent colors will work well with an Alclad base, or just use Pearlized or Iridescent with a glossy white base.
jb518 is offline   Reply With Quote