Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #1
tethrox
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Need advice please.

New private commission I was thinking of getting. It’s 1/4 scale with several switch out parts. Pair of arms, two torsos, three different heads, and a couple different logos. Looks absolutely amazing, but they’re asking $1200 with a $300 NRD. Does that sound reasonable? I’m fairly new to the statue game and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
tethrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #2
tethrox

I see the little jab under my name to the left there. Guess that’s a subtle way of running me off. Learned my lesson. Won’t be posting again.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethrox View Post
I see the little jab under my name to the left there. Guess that’s a subtle way of running me off. Learned my lesson. Won’t be posting again.
Hey, tethrox, that's just a pun/joke that changes automatically as our post count increases, not a jab at you at all, don't worry. ;-)

I can't help on the commission thing, as I haven't got any experience there. : (
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
tethrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Hey, tethrox, that's just a pun/joke that changes automatically as our post count increases, not a jab at you at all, don't worry. ;-)

I can't help on the commission thing, as I haven't got any experience there. : (
Oh ok. Just coincidence I noticed it right after I posted. Being a relative newbie, and seeing a lot of knowledge on here, thought someone would have some advice. Guess it comes down to if you like it enough, buy it, which I did. Grail of a piece that I don’t think any other company will do better. They’re making one more piece after this one I’ll be buying, then I’m done.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
tethrox

Don’t want to break any rules, but is it ok to post pics of private commissions coming up if we don’t name or advertise the company?
Old 07-24-2019, 09:05 PM   #6
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

I'm no expert - I have been a part of just one commission, a few years ago. It was 1:4 scale, just one switch-out head. Priced at $600 + shipping, $220 deposit. ES of only 50.

Your price sounds pretty reasonable to me, given the switch-outs, and since prices across the board have risen in the last several years.

'Reasonable' is one aspect, but the more important factor in a private commission is trust, imo. Do you know/trust the commissioners? Anyone vouched for them? That's what's prevented me from joining any others. Mine worked out fine, but you never know what level of communication you're going to get.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:48 PM   #7
tethrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I'm no expert - I have been a part of just one commission, a few years ago. It was 1:4 scale, just one switch-out head. Priced at $600 + shipping, $220 deposit. ES of only 50.

Your price sounds pretty reasonable to me, given the switch-outs, and since prices across the board have risen in the last several years.

'Reasonable' is one aspect, but the more important factor in a private commission is trust, imo. Do you know/trust the commissioners? Anyone vouched for them? That's what's prevented me from joining any others. Mine worked out fine, but you never know what level of communication you're going to get.
Yeah, I did have a bad experience with a group before. Finally left it. Just joined this one, but so far they’re really good about getting back with you and the other members seem to be happy with them, but still you never know, but just had to go in on it. Really three statues in one. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

If it's a one of a kind and not a group thing $1200 for a 1/4 scale seems almost too cheap. if the artist is going to do a digital design and then send it out for printing it still seems cheap. Painting itself is not an inexpensive process either
Old 07-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #9
tethrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
If it's a one of a kind and not a group thing $1200 for a 1/4 scale seems almost too cheap. if the artist is going to do a digital design and then send it out for printing it still seems cheap. Painting itself is not an inexpensive process either
You can really tell I’m new to this, but on the page it says ES 45. Does this mean that there is an estimate of 45 being made or something else? Appreciate the help. Really wish I could post pics of him.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

ES = Edition size.

That should be the total made, period. But it's likely there would be a few APs (Artist Proofs) made as well. That's how it's done for mass-produced, licensed statues, anyway. Commissioners may not produce them... I'm not sure.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote