Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 06-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
Gothamite
Phoenix

Exclamation DC COMICS DROPS DIAMOND

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...bution-1297309

Quote:
DC has cut ties with Diamond Comics Distributors, THR can confirm.

The announcement was made via an email to retailers sent Friday morning, with the company telling customers that all orders for DC product will be fulfilled by Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distributors for periodical releases and Penguin Random House for graphic novels and collected editions.

An email sent to retailers explained, “We recognize that, to many of you, this may seem like a momentous decision. However, we can assure you that this change in DC's distribution plans has not been made lightly and follows a long period of thought and consideration. The change of direction is in line with DC's overall strategic vision intended to improve the health of, and strengthen, the Direct Market as well as grow the number of fans who read comics worldwide.”

The message continued, “In the near term, Diamond will only be fulfilling orders placed through June 1 Final Order Cut-Off and will not solicit the sale of new DC titles further. To ensure a smooth transition for retailers, DC will suspend Final Order Cut-Off for June 8, making those books available to order on Final Order Cut-Off on June 15.”

A spokesperson from DC told THR, “After 25 years, DC and Diamond Comic Distributors are ending their long-standing relationship. Moving forward, comic book retailers can obtain their DC books from Penguin Random House, or their books and periodicals through Lunar or UCS comic book distributors. DC continues to be committed to providing the Direct Market with best in class service and the fans with the world’s greatest comic books.”

DC’s periodical product had, until earlier this year, been exclusively distributed by Diamond Comics Distributors, which holds a virtual monopoly on comic book distribution in the North American market. Following Diamond’s decision to close down as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak in mid-March, followed by Diamond announcing that it would withhold payment to publishers, citing cash flow problems, DC announced plans to find alternative distribution.

The company eventually settled on two newly created companies — Lunar Distribution and UCS Comic Distributors — to handle periodical distribution while Diamond was closed. All parties involved, including DC and Diamond, publicly stated that DC would continue to release product through Diamond when the latter resumed distribution in late May.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
protector2814
Phoenix

I wonder if Diamond really screwed themselves with their cut-off? Maybe comic companies should have just scaled back on titles & diamond could have still delivered with comic shops doing their version of customer pick-up like many restaurants have done. I would have phoned in my order.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #3
jeremydmc
Black Panther

So my LCBS will now have to depend on another comic book shop to fulfill their orders since the 2 new distributors are large comic book shops (Midtown and DCBS).

I see that going well. "Sorry we can't send you those issues, we already sold them through our store."
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
So my LCBS will now have to depend on another comic book shop to fulfill their orders since the 2 new distributors are large comic book shops (Midtown and DCBS).

I see that going well. "Sorry we can't send you those issues, we already sold them through our store."
Yeah, it's not an ideal situation, asking people to pay tribute to their competitors. I don't understand why comics publishing has to be done with third-party distributors. AT&T probably has publishing divisions that can help handle direct distribution to comics shops. On top of everything, DC has been promoting digital comics very aggressively for the past three months.

I wouldn't be surprised if some shops stop selling DC's floppies and only carry graphic novels instead.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
Augen
Metal Men

I haven't been to my local shop for months (for obvious reasons) so have to check how this is going to effect them.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Yeah, it's not an ideal situation, asking people to pay tribute to their competitors. I don't understand why comics publishing has to be done with third-party distributors. AT&T probably has publishing divisions that can help handle direct distribution to comics shops. On top of everything, DC has been promoting digital comics very aggressively for the past three months.

I wouldn't be surprised if some shops stop selling DC's floppies and only carry graphic novels instead.
I talked with the owner of my local shop and for the couple weeks DC was using these two as a distributor early into COVID-19 he didn't order anything. They do not offer the same discounts that Diamond did and he had absolutely no idea who they were at the time. He also told me that now there is no preview for DC comics and he does a lot of special ordering but nothing is listed in Previews for DC and they do not have their own catalog. He has no idea how they are going to advertise future issues so he can order if customers want them or even know about them.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
but nothing is listed in Previews for DC and they do not have their own catalog.
Actually, they do.

www.dccomics.com/connect
Old 06-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
Gothamite
Phoenix

So this is how things will work for DC Direct products (statues, action figures, other collectibles):

https://bleedingcool.com/collectible...tributor-wars/

Lunar
UCS
Entertainment Earth
Sideshow
Old 07-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Went to my local shop yesterday and they received only 2 titles of their entire DC shipment. Lois Lane and Detective were the only 2. He called around to other comic book shops in the area and they either got the same 2 issues or some shops hadn't gotten anything at all. This is the first week of the new distributor shipments and it seems, at least in my area, to be a complete fiasco. So out of my 6 normal titles that should have come out this week I got 1.

I have heard the areas that got shipments through UCS were more successful.