Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #1
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

The impact of personalization

Hi all, curious if you had any thoughts on what personalizing a piece has to value. If you saw a neat piece but it had a big "to so and so" on it does it kill the artwork for you?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #2
J-M-T
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Most of the time, yes.

Unless the name on the art is the same name as mine.
J-M-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Agree
Old 01-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

Generally, yes, as it's a turn off to see "To my pal, Fernando Felipé" on a piece of artwork. For one, what is the point of the personalization anyway? To somehow delude the buyer into thinking that he and the artist are buddies or that something personal and special had just taken place between them? Imagine if the Mona Lisa had "To Randy-Sue Carlisle, keep on truckin' " written on it. Ultimately, the buyer can do what he/she wants but as far as interest goes, my interest is severely impacted by seeing someone else's name on it, especially if they had nothing to do with it. The personalization typically comes off as some sad and desperate desire for attention from the celebrity or artist. These people are probably closet stalkers. Not only would I stay away from the artwork, I'd stay away from the buyer... lol.

Kidding aside, if the piece was a key piece and the personalization could be covered in a frame, I might consider it but generally, no. It's a total eyesore and has no place on one-of-a-kind original artwork. The value of the piece is definitely impacted by the personalization. There's way too much artwork out there to be had to feel like you have to settle for the personalized piece.

I suppose personalizing a $20 quickie sketch no one would ever buy from you is fine but someone would have to be quite short-sighted to personalize a Jim Lee Superman or John Romita Spiderman cover. These are pieces of history which will stand the test of time. You would have to be remarkably self-absorbed to personalize something which might end up in a museum of fine arts someday long after you're passed on.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
Hi all, curious if you had any thoughts on what personalizing a piece has to value. If you saw a neat piece but it had a big "to so and so" on it does it kill the artwork for you?
Hate to say this....but...it's a personal thing...some folks it doesn'rt bother ...some folks it drives crazy and some folks actaully prefer it...
I fall into the drives crazy group. In my mind personalizing destroys art. It's like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. If a piece is personalized, I don't want it. Period
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by aric View Post
Hate to say this....but...it's a personal thing...some folks it doesn'rt bother ...some folks it drives crazy and some folks actaully prefer it...
I fall into the drives crazy group. In my mind personalizing destroys art. It's like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. If a piece is personalized, I don't want it. Period

What if it said "To Shapiro, my hero". Wouldn't you love that on your Alex Ross BOG? He could even add a dialogue bubble so that it looks like Batman thinks you're awesome.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
Ghost9
U talkin' to me?

My preference is definitely to not have personalization on it, whether I'm buying the art second-hand or have commissioned it myself. However, I don't think it always kills the deal for me. Depends on where it is, how large it's written, etc. It's odd that some artists just put it on there without asking and others ask if you want it and then act strangely if you say no. I'd love for some tips on how to say no politely but also in a way that it doesn't create that awkwardness....
Ghost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #8
aric
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

I'm very upfront with artists about it...I tell them when we are discussing the piece that I do NOT want it personalized. If it's a problem for them, I move on to another artist. The only time it has been an issue is one the one or two occasions that an artist agreed not to and then did it anyway....I was very angry
aric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

This is not a straight-forward question for me. If I am getting a commission, I prefer (and ask) that it not be personalized. If I am buying a page of newer art – same rule applies. Hoewever, if the page is older and particularly if it has a lot of significance to me, I am more open to some personalization being on the page especially if it was done during the period in which the art was originally drawn. See below for an example of a note that George Perez wrote on a page that was gifted to his colorist Tom Smith. I love the history and provenance that this adds to the piece and I would not want it touched (this stuff can be removed) as it lends to the historical significance of the piece.
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...9414&GSub=6580

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

This is a great topic as opinions vary quite a bit … from Ari’s no way no how to other I have know who like having a note from their favorite artists. My favorite artist Sal Buscema has signed a lot of original comic art pages and he signs inside the border of the page – usually in some white space in a panel, etc. This initially bugged me a bit but it would never keep me from buying a page I like that he had signed in this way. When he signed my page, I did ask him to sign in the white space on the bottom of the page that was outside of the art border on the page

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote