Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 02-26-2018, 04:59 PM   #101
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxter View Post
Nice side-by-side, not only the face, look at the detail in the armor in terms of paint, the prototype looks to have amazing depth in the armor.
Good eye. I hadn't really noticed that yet as I'm still reeling at how bad the elk looks, but Thrandruil's armor should be a much darker shade of grey. I went back and looked at some screen grabs and the color of the armor on the prototype is definitely more accurate.

Just one question.....who the hell is overseeing the paint app's of these production pieces? If they're blind, they should be reassigned, if they're not, they should be fired. As well as the people who signed off on this thing.
Malvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #102
Ricky Bobby
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Thanks for all the side by side pics,a little concerned with the face and the elk is definitely lacking proper shading
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #103
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Thanks for all the side by side pics,a little concerned with the face and the elk is definitely lacking proper shading
Yes the Thrandruil [vampire variant] face is a bit unsettling. And painting the armor a completely different shade of grey, disturbing. But the elk itself is a mess....and not just the huge blotches of cream coloring devoid of proper shading. From the photos provided it looks like the entire elk was given a gloss finish instead of a matte finish. Nice base though......My painter is going to have a field day with this thing.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #104
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I can see all the areas everyone is pointing out.

Don’t get me wrong, if this piece turns out looking anything less than stellar in person it will be going back. I’m not dropping 1k on something I’m not satisfied with. That said, as good as these pics are some of what I’m seeing can be exaggerated by lighting so I’m not going to freak out yet. The thing that stands out the most to me is probably the glossy look to the elk’s fur though.

As far as the War Troll was concerned I didn’t think the paint app on that piece was bad. Sure it was darker than I expected but my issue was with the overall presence of the piece. It simply didn’t feel like a 1k statue. That and mine didn’t seat in it’s base properly along with the pose looking wonky in person. So it went back.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #105
FROBAY
Phoenix

His face, nose and ears look translucent. I'll wait for my own in hand judgment. Ill be done with Weta if this Piece is not Amazing.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:40 AM   #106
zadmax
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
His face, nose and ears look translucent. I'll wait for my own in hand judgment. Ill be done with Weta if this Piece is not Amazing.
Definitely looks translucent in some of those pics. Has Weta used translucent resin (assuming that is what they used for this) in any of their pieces before?

Their upcoming Master's Collection Gollum is using translucent resin, and I hope they do a much better job with the paint on that where the resin is concerned. Not sure how experienced their factory is with translucent resin though. None of the other Weta pieces I own used it.
zadmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 AM   #107
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Looks like the same clear resin used on Isildur.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #108
pinkxter
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Someone else on another forum made a point and its a good one, Thranduil does not have nose holes painted - look at the nose
pinkxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #109
Malvo
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxter View Post
Someone else on another forum made a point and its a good one, Thranduil does not have nose holes painted - look at the nose
That's probably the least of the issues with this statue. And with Anthony from Weta now confirming 'what you see is what you get' [translation: don't get your hopes up that the prod. piece is going to look like the proto.] it looks like all but the most rabid of Weta sycophants are starting to sharpen their pitchforks. All the more frustrating given the fact Isildur looks so amazing. True, there are only a handful of Isildur pics out there so perhaps we should all wait for better pictures before passing judgement........
Old 02-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #110
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

The lack of nostril shading seems to be related to the use of this new clear resin. Isildur doesn’t have them painted either. Personally I’m not reallly bothered by it. Just find it odd it’s become a perceived issue with Thranduil while Isildur gets a pass.