Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 11-30-2016, 11:55 PM   #1851
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
First time seeing either of those and love them, especially that Dracula.
I am at that stage in this hobby where u just buy what u like without knowing or caring about the artists or the value aka noob stage!
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:44 AM   #1852
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracula View Post
I am at that stage in this hobby where u just buy what u like without knowing or caring about the artists or the value aka noob stage!
I honestly think that's a good stage to be in with both prints and statues. If you like the way something looks then it doesn't really matter who the artist is unless you're looking to search out more of their work. Value/rarity is cool in its own way but it's never been a determining factor for me when it comes to purchases.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #1853
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I was always at that stage. It's the better "stage" to me. I have a bunch of prints that many don't like. I guess because the artists aren't popular and their prints don't flip or go up in value. But I like the artwork and that is what should matter.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #1854
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
I honestly think that's a good stage to be in with both prints and statues. If you like the way something looks then it doesn't really matter who the artist is unless you're looking to search out more of their work. Value/rarity is cool in its own way but it's never been a determining factor for me when it comes to purchases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
I was always at that stage. It's the better "stage" to me. I have a bunch of prints that many don't like. I guess because the artists aren't popular and their prints don't flip or go up in value. But I like the artwork and that is what should matter.
10 years of collecting statues have kinda taught to be chill at collecting though,I can imagine the mondo sell outs causing quite the frenzy and frustrations.

I hate to admit though I hate how framing is actually the expensive bit of this hobby lol.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:16 AM   #1855
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
I hate to admit though I hate how framing is actually the expensive bit of this hobby lol.
That's the painful truth. And once you start seriously framing things out you come to the realization it takes a pretty special piece of art to devote the kind of money it takes to hang it proper. I remember selling about 70% of my art after grasping most of it would never actually make it to my walls.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #1856
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's the painful truth. And once you start seriously framing things out you come to the realization it takes a pretty special piece of art to devote the kind of money it takes to hang it proper. I remember selling about 70% of my art after grasping most of it would never actually make it to my walls.
That's why I quit buying prints and OA. A portfolio just, IMO, have the same impact in viewing. My walls are already full. I have a Michael Turner print I just don't have space for.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #1857
Vracula
Jedi Order

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
That's why I quit buying prints and OA. A portfolio just, IMO, have the same impact in viewing. My walls are already full. I have a Michael Turner print I just don't have space for.

That realization has come to me rather quickly, i already framed 3 and probably space for another 3 . Another annoying thing is you cant even store these in a tube for too long can you?
Old 12-03-2016, 01:51 AM   #1858
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
That realization has come to me rather quickly, i already framed 3 and probably space for another 3 . Another annoying thing is you cant even store these in a tube for too long can you?
You can get away with it for awhile but any extended period of time you run the risk of it not flattening out completely. A lot of that has to do with the type of paper used too. Personally I don't keep anything tubed for very long. All my prints go into a presentation case. If you're into collecting a ton of art that you know you won't every frame then a flat file is the only way to go.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #1859
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
10 years of collecting statues have kinda taught to be chill at collecting though,I can imagine the mondo sell outs causing quite the frenzy and frustrations.

I haven't tried for a Mondo print in years. I don't think they sell or at least flip like they used to. Mondo seems to be dead here as well. No one posted about their Black Friday sale of old stuff. I only checked to see like late in the day what they sold. But I learned my lesson from last year and didn't bother trying at the actual time.

There is no rush to find a good frame for me. It takes time like furniture to find good pieces. I think the last Mondo print I got was Martin Ansin's Rocketeer. I want to get a good deco type frame or something that would be similar to the setting / airshow style of the print. So no real rush. I have it flat in an archival box. These heavy paper prints (unlike movie posters) really aren't supposed to be rolled at all. It's just easier to ship that way.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #1860
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Mondo is largely irrelevant now in the print industry. Most of the artists and people that made them have moved on while the company has shifted their focus to limited edition LPs, toys and clothing. Their BF flat file sale has always been a joke. No point in even trying for anything as it's a bot feeding frenzy and anything rare sells out before anyone really has a chance to snag it.