Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Que lastima.
SÃ-, soy viejo.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #332
MKS
Nightwing

Just watched last night and I was underwhelmed. I liked Momoa in the role and there were some good bits, but it seemed like the story was put together from bits of a bunch of other movies. I really wanted to be impressed and enjoy this a lot, but my wife and I agreed with 2 out 5 stars.
MKS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 AM   #333
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Oh, I already knew - I've seen every other DCEU movie so far.
Nicely put.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #334
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS View Post
Just watched last night and I was underwhelmed. I liked Momoa in the role and there were some good bits, but it seemed like the story was put together from bits of a bunch of other movies. I really wanted to be impressed and enjoy this a lot, but my wife and I agreed with 2 out 5 stars.
I quite agree with this assessment. I really wanted to like this movie a lot, but it came up short for me.

I really noticed the stolen tropes, and there were many. Wet Rainbow Bridge, Wet Wakandan Wonder City, Attlan's Trident (at least it was a trident this time) story = Odin and Mjolnir, Manta repurposing his white suit = Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins. Kidman's "death" and rediscovery is a direct take on both Ant Man and the Wasp and HTTYD II. it's quite an extensive list of lifted plot points. It felt at times like an odd mishmash of Thor/Black Panther/Tomb Raider/Batman Begins/Halo/Cloverfield. Also, the costume designer played waaaaay to much Skyrim in their day.

What really put me off the bandwagon for this movie, though, was the underwater sequences, which really are the main point of an Aquaman movie to begin with. I think this is where they truly and appallingly messed up. Yes, there was a boatload of underwater action and yes, the floaty people and the hair were reasonably well done. However, the two glaring inconsistencies that pervaded the underwater scenes were, IMO, unforgivable. First was the utter and ridiculous proliferation of explosions that were present. Above or below the surface, every fukkin thing in this movies blew up spectacularly. I hadn't realized it was a Michael Bay film til half way through. The incessant fiery underwater explosions and unrealistic portrayal of lava and water interacting were just too much for me to maintain my suspension of disbelief.
Second, and more offputting to me, was the colour pallette chosen for the underwater sets. WAAAAY too saturated!!! By magnitudes! Colours get muted very quickly over distance underwater, and yet every underwater shot in the movie was like watching fireworks and Christmas lights. I can live with interior shots, the Atlanteans obviously would have lighting of some sort, but the ocean floor sequences were hard to watch between the bright colours and the overall crowding that also diminished from the visual enjoyment of the water scenes.

Overall, I did enjoy the movie. I'm glad DC finally got a hit. However, I can only give it a 6 or 6.5 on 10 due to the several and prominent bad decisions that drew me out of the movie.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #335
Gothamite
Phoenix

If you watched the 4K version on streaming or UHD Blu-ray, yeah, the colors are "too hot". The regular 2K/Blu-ray is fine. The hues weren't over-saturated in theaters.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #336
off
The X-Men

Aren't most comic book stories stolen tropes from each other?
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #337
Gruson
Suicide Squad

Watched it again and still love it. Epic score, probably my favorite since Fellowship. It’s that good, so many iconic themes. A ton of epic sequences too. This is easily my favorite superhero movie since Batman Begins. Yup, like it that much.
Gruson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:44 AM   #338
built2shred
Phoenix

My biggest gripe with DC movies is they use way to many green screens instead of shooting at live locations.... The green screens are just way to fake looking.... I understand you have to use them in certain circumstances like underwater and what not but it's just lazy to use them in real world situations (IE: Light Tower)
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #339
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
My biggest gripe with DC movies is they use way to many green screens instead of shooting at live locations.... The green screens are just way to fake looking.... I understand you have to use them in certain circumstances like underwater and what not but it's just lazy to use them in real world situations (IE: Light Tower)
Most big budget action movies are shot that way now.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #340
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
If you watched the 4K version on streaming or UHD Blu-ray, yeah, the colors are "too hot". The regular 2K/Blu-ray is fine. The hues weren't over-saturated in theaters.
Honestly, I watched it on PPV on TV. Can't see any format in particular changing my mind on over-saturation. To my eye, and I'm a certified diver, there was too much colour by magnitudes. Yes there's lots and lots of colour to be had in the oceans, but it's all really close to the surface. Anything below 60 or 100 feet should technically just fade to shades of green. Not really exciting for a movie, I know, but it jars me out of the experience when my mind knows it's wrong. Way down deep in the trenches there's a whole different world of bio-luminescence, but Aquaman didn't hit that pallette either.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote