Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-12-2019, 09:59 PM   #81
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
He’s done and said other things, but I’m not going to get into specifics. Just not a fan of actors getting on a pedestal and preaching to the rest of society as if they possess some sort of infinite wisdom. I look to actors to entertain, to act, not preach and go off the rails with their stances on social and political issues.
Your post made me go listen to his SAG speech. I'm often puzzled by your reaction and based on your reaction it's easy to read your belief system. The guy didn't name anyone, but you must see it as he was bashing your guy. I am also using my intuition to address how I think you viewed the speech but I have no other reasons then what your reaction was. But if he was addressing a certain person, so what. If we are thinking of the same person that person says vile and hurtful things about so many people. That person lies on a daily basis. His followers are the biggest hypocrites I have ever seen.

I am not talking political or policies mind you. I am talking about how someone acts. You can like or dislike policies and still like or dislike a person.

Also before this gets deleted. These boards of late have been a sounding board for certain people to broad brush others with how they think, as if their rationale is fair and true. When others combat this, is when it takes a turn and everyone freaks out.

Just saying that on several post here the actor is being trashed for what he said that others didn't like. He didn't say I like to have sex with goats. The actor was saying we should stand up to bullies, fight back, treat people well. How the heck is that wrong? You took it as political and that's fine, but whether you are aware or not, when you share those views here, you are shoving your thoughts down our throat.

I'm an adult and I can handle this conversation. I'm just tired of this kind of stuff being spouted and allowed on here when it's reversed, the mods go nuts. Big double standards. People did it with Captain Marvel now this.

Oh by the way almost every single Avenger dislikes a certain person. How the heck are you guys going to watch that movie. Have you seen Chris Evans Twitter?
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #82
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
I just saw the speech and didn't think it was too political. I think they just like to sound "woke" because it's the popular thing in Hollywood. It's weird though, one of the biggest actresses that was involved with Weinstein(and is dead silent about him) is also now a big SJW apparently. I wish all the stars that were molested or taken advantage of would actually speak up(name the perpetrators) if they actually want to change things. It seems like a cult where the cycle will just continue imo.

To me it's seems like more and more lately if you have any right leaning views or disagree with their view you're some kind of monster lol. I see some merit to some of both parties, and it's unfortunate so many just bash each other blindly without discussion.

Can we ban the use of SJW on these boards. It's like a dog whistle.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #83
supermetroid
Teen Titans

I think it's fair game, mostly because how far it's influenced media and politics. There's some serious ramifications where things are going way too far, the House just signed a Bill forcing schools to allow men who identify as women being allowed to compete as females. At that point it's more than political and obscene and not fair at all to women. The truth is a male athlete in the middle of the pack would be at the top of female athletics.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:39 PM   #84
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

...And with that highly intelligent comment I think it's time to get this away from politics and back to the Film guys.

Thanks.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #85
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Whatever marvelboi77. Nobody freaking out here but you in your rant. I never brought up specifics on Harbour, I simply stated I think the guy is a jackass because his behavior feels awkward and erratic. I made no comment on whether I agreed or disagreed with his points, only that I don’t appreciate social and political issues being interjected into my entertainment. Doesn’t matter what side of the fence the opinions fall on, I’m simply not interested in hearing it from people in this industry. That’s where I go to escape those things. Unfortunately due to characters like him it’s unavoidable despite my best efforts. I already stated it wasn’t just one instance of him going off base yet your argument against me not being a fan of his offscreen antics is focused on a single SAG speech. You’re the one painting with a broad brush with your assumptions on where I stand politically.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:52 AM   #86
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermetroid View Post
I think it's fair game, mostly because how far it's influenced media and politics. There's some serious ramifications where things are going way too far, the House just signed a Bill forcing schools to allow men who identify as women being allowed to compete as females. At that point it's more than political and obscene and not fair at all to women. The truth is a male athlete in the middle of the pack would be at the top of female athletics.

Republicans took aim at a broad LGBT rights bill on Tuesday by focusing on a narrow topic: school sports.

On Tuesday, the House Judiciary Committee held a hearing on the Equality Act, a bill that would prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity like existing civil rights laws do on the basis of characteristics such as race and religion. Though the bill is sweeping — covering areas that range from credit to housing to employment — much of the debate at the hearing centered on athletics.

The issue of transgender students participating in sports has proved a flash point in arguments about the legal rights of LGBT people, as lawmakers have debated the very nature of sex and gender. In opposing the bill, Republicans used sports as means to argue that “biological men” could use non-discrimination protections in order to take advantage of “biological women” in various spheres of life, including the playing field.

“The bill privileges the rights of men who identify as women over women and girls,” said ranking Republican Rep. Doug Collins. “Allowing men to compete against women in women’s sports… is demoralizing.” Rep. Louie Gohmert suggested that women would lose athletic scholarships to “guys who say, ‘I feel like I am a woman.'” One witness Republicans called predicted that passing the bill would mean that “men will dominate women’s sports.”

Though school sports are not mentioned in the Equality Act — and it does not amend Title IX, the provision that famously outlaws sex discrimination in education — the bill would alter existing civil rights statutes that apply to educational settings, giving transgender students a legal basis to argue that they have a right to compete on teams that align with their gender identity.

Democrats and several of the witnesses they called cast GOP objections over sports as a red herring, distracting from the fact that federal laws do not explicitly prohibit firing people because they are gay or denying them housing because they are transgender. They pointed out that several states have laws which have for years prohibited such discrimination and have not seen women or girls widely displaced in sports in those places.

Rep. Val Demings described Republicans’ focus on sports as “looking for a technicality to continue to justify discrimination” against LGBT people more broadly.

“America just cannot seem to get past tearing other people down who are different in some way,” Demings said. “Our past is so ugly in this area. I would think that we would all do everything within our power to make it right.”

As the issue of sports resurfaced throughout the hearing, some of the bill’s critics argued that having exposure to testosterone would give transgender girls and women an unfair advantage in sports, while others alleged that “bad actors” would pretend to be transgender in order to get ahead.

This line of reasoning extended into several other areas, with Republican lawmakers suggesting that men might falsely claim to identify as a woman in order to secure grants reserved for female-led businesses or to gain access to sex-segregated spaces like bathrooms and shelters.

Supporters of the bill pointed out that such fears are not backed up by data, and that transgender people are at higher risk than the general population for experiencing harassment and sexual assault. “We do not create policy about myths and stereotypes,” said Sunu Chandy, legal director of the National Women’s Law Center. She characterized many of the criticisms as suggestions that transgender people do not “exist.”

Lawmakers and LGBT rights advocates have been trying to pass a bill like the Equality Act since the 1970s. In the early years, such bills only covered sexual orientation and faced objections from conservatives who characterized being gay as an “abomination.” In recent years, the issue of transgender rights has ascended as an area of conflict between the right and the left, and relatively little time at the hearing on Tuesday was spent discussing sexual orientation.

It’s likely that the bill will pass the Democrat-controlled House in the coming months, but the debate was a preview of issues that will come to the fore if the bill is eventually brought up for a vote in the Republican-controlled Senate. Some conservative lawmakers suggested that being transgender is part of an “internet phenomenon” or “radical ideology,” and even those who expressed support for transgender people did not express support for the bill as it is written.

Toward the end of the hearing, the one openly transgender individual among the witnesses attempted to sum up the three hours of discussion that had elapsed. “We’ve heard a lot about transgender people as a threat, in the bathroom, in sports,” said Carter Brown, who leads an organization called Black Transmen Inc. “My identity is not a threat to anyone else. As it stands, it’s a threat to me and my ability to provide for myself and my family.”

Without federal non-discrimination laws that explicitly protect LGBT people, “it’s not a level playing field,” he said.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:54 AM   #87
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

I'm sorry but if anyone deletes the above post then I call BS. The only way to move forward is to get the entire truth out there. There is so much homophobia, transphobia on this board it's pathetic. You guys are so used to not understanding or seeing it as hurtful that you don't even notice it until it's brought up. Then it's the oh my god we gotta delete this. Rights of people to just be is not political, it's peoples lives.

Oh an while your hair is on fire, the Senate will never pass the bill, nor this President will sign it. So calm your outrage.

Also 2 not 1 but 2 moderators let the previous post stand, therefore this one should too.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:22 AM   #88
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Let’s get back on topic please.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:35 AM   #89
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Can we ban the use of SJW on these boards. It's like a dog whistle.
only if we can also ban the use of "dog whistle".
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:24 AM   #90
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Really fun film. I don't know why it didn't make money as much as expected... :/ I would like to see more nudity since it's R Rated but ehh... It was fun.

Milla Jovovich
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote