Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 05-02-2020, 12:40 AM   #31
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I remember buying this series as it rolled out. A comic shop near my college campus was carrying Watchmen. Same year as Miller's The Dark Knight was hitting.
that was 1986-87. That was the time when also the 1st issue of Justice League (Giffen/DeMatteis) came out. To me those were probably 3 books that totally changed the face of DC Comics (in addition to Crisis on Infinite Earths).
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #32
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
Hey Protector, it was only published as a Graphic Novel. I am not sure if it was even published in softcover. I would check Ebay or Cheap Graphic Novels because I'm sure you could find a copy alot cheaper than $30.
Weird. I looked again on Amazon 10 or so days back & they had it for $9.50, when before,
it was around $30. I bought it & got it yesterday. It looks amazing. Will let you know.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #33
Asgard
Deadman

I am currently reading Spiderman Team Up. This comic series starts in 1972
I love these simple stories and the drawings.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #34
mmk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
I am currently reading Spiderman Team Up. This comic series starts in 1972
I love these simple stories and the drawings.
I loved Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Two-In-One and The Brave and the Bold. As you said Asgard, they were simple stories but there were some very good stories. Marvel Two-In-One's Project Pegasus saga, Alan Brennert's Brave and the Bold stories and the Chris Claremont's Marvel Team Up run were such good stories and I feel are worth checking out.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #35
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Chris Claremont/John Byrne MTU run was collected in a trade. Worth picking up.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:47 AM   #36
mmk123

I had the trade but do not anymore (because I would like to get the individual issues) but after Byrne left the book, Claremont stayed on and I would recommend the following Marvel Team Up issues

Marvel Team-Up #76-77-Spider-Man, Dr. Strange and Ms Marvel-this was a 2 parter that had the heroes battle Silver Dagger

Marvel Team-Up #81-82-Spider-Man, Dr. Stange, Clea and Ratana-this was basically part 3 and 4 of the story started in #76-77

Marvel Team-Up #79 - Spider-Man and Red Sonja - this is worth tracking down (Byrne did do the art for this though - and was not included in the Claremont/Byrne trade)

Marvel Team Up #82-85 - Spider-Man, Black Widow, Nick Fury and Shang-Chi - just a solid 4 part story. I believe this is reprinted in the recent (or maybe so to come out) Black Widow Omnibus.

Did not mean to hijack this thread but since things a very slowly beginning to reopen maybe it is worth it to head to your LCBS and pick these up.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:47 PM   #37
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I just checked and, unfortunately, that MTU #82 - 85 run is not in the upcoming omnibus which now, according to Amazon, is delayed until November.

And, as to heading out to LCS’s when things open up, to each his own but please be careful and exercise caution. I’m an exec for a company that places clinicians across the country and, no politics here, this thing is as contagious now as it’s always been.

Last edited by wktf; 05-10-2020 at 09:58 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #38
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
that was 1986-87. That was the time when also the 1st issue of Justice League (Giffen/DeMatteis) came out. To me those were probably 3 books that totally changed the face of DC Comics (in addition to Crisis on Infinite Earths).
Yes, I guess the reason why DC didn't allow Alan Moore to use the Charlton characters for Watchmen is because they had plans to have some of them join Justice League International at the same time.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #39
mmk123

Exactly. DC had plans for those characters and f they would have been The Watchmen they would have been pretty much one and d done.

I know it would never happen but I am wondering how much was changed from Alan Moore’s original Charleston heroes concept to what was the produced model. I think it would Be cool to see the story retold with the Charleston characters.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #40
protector2814
Phoenix

Hey, MMK123, I've been meaning to tell you how much I enjoyed Rage Of Ultron. Loved it! Thanks for the recommendation. Helped with the stay-at-home.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote