Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #16721
Babytoxie
Ghost

Killer Joe (2011) - 4/10

It's sad when an established and influential artist tries to copy the style of those he influenced. This is an embarrassing film by William Friedkin (The Exorcist, Sorcerer, The French Connection) who was apparently trying to be Quentin Tarrantino. Horrible acting all around by a fairly established cast including Matthew McConnaughey, Emile Hirsch, Thomas Haden Church, and Juno Temple.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #16722
abarron
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
About Time: 7.5/10. Nice little time travel movie.
We loved this in our house
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #16723
protector2814
Phoenix

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965) - 9/10

The last Amicus produced film I needed to complete my collection, this one's the best, imo. Five men thrown together in an unusual circumstance, this film follows the Amicus theme & feels just like the EC Horror Comics of the era. Peter Cushing plays Dr. Terror, a Tarot Card reader, who, while sharing a car on a English passenger train, reads the 5 fortunes of the men who ride with him with each reading becoming a chapter in the movie. Voodoo (with just the coolest swinging 60's, London Jazz supper club complete with guest musicians, The Tubby Hayes Quintet whom are excellent), Vampires, Werewolves, a revenge-driven severed hand, & a creeping garden, intelligent vine make up the horror. Christopher Lee, a very young Donald Southerland & three other recognizable actors make up the travelers. The stories tie together for one last spooky reveal at movie's end. I saw this one as a kid & it stuck with me thru the years. Whenever Lee & Cushing share a movie, it's going to be special & this one sure is.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #16724
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarron View Post
We loved this in our house
Us too! Great movie.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #16725
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965) - 9/10

The last Amicus produced film I needed to complete my collection, this one's the best, imo. Five men thrown together in an unusual circumstance, this film follows the Amicus theme & feels just like the EC Horror Comics of the era. Peter Cushing plays Dr. Terror, a Tarot Card reader, who, while sharing a car on a English passenger train, reads the 5 fortunes of the men who ride with him with each reading becoming a chapter in the movie. Voodoo (with just the coolest swinging 60's, London Jazz supper club complete with guest musicians, The Tubby Hayes Quintet whom are excellent), Vampires, Werewolves, a revenge-driven severed hand, & a creeping garden, intelligent vine make up the horror. Christopher Lee, a very young Donald Southerland & three other recognizable actors make up the travelers. The stories tie together for one last spooky reveal at movie's end. I saw this one as a kid & it stuck with me thru the years. Whenever Lee & Cushing share a movie, it's going to be special & this one sure is.

Damn I need to see this, sounds really good.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #16726
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Vertigo (1958)

It's very good, but I'm surprised this was voted the best film of all time on the last Sight & Sound movie poll. 8/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #16727
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I like vertigo but I don't even think it's Hitchocks best.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #16728
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Vertigo (1958)

It's very good, but I'm surprised this was voted the best film of all time on the last Sight & Sound movie poll. 8/10
I love Hitchcock, don't get me wrong ... but I never cared for Vertigo. I saw a revival on a huge 70mm screen not too long ago, & the movie's main flaw for me, was still too hard to push thru and suspend my disbelief. I never could get past Jimmy Stewart's character buying that the Kim Novak replacement girl wasn't the original. It was just too big a hole to buy for me. Give me Rear Window if we're talking great Hitchcock film.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #16729
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
The Star Chamber: 8/10 - It's an oldie but a goodie. I love the story and Douglas is great. I hate to say it, but this movie is ripe for a remake.
When you look at the popularity of TV Shows like Dexter, I dare say you are right.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #16730
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I love Hitchcock, don't get me wrong ... but I never cared for Vertigo. I saw a revival on a huge 70mm screen not too long ago, & the movie's main flaw for me, was still too hard to push thru and suspend my disbelief. I never could get past Jimmy Stewart's character buying that the Kim Novak replacement girl wasn't the original. It was just too big a hole to buy for me. Give me Rear Window if we're talking great Hitchcock film.
North by Northwest.